Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is this The Valley?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Definitely looks like The Valley to me.

The church shown is Holy Trinity which was at the junction of Charlton Lane and Woolwich Road (now demolished and replaced by maisonettes/flats). The river can be seen in the background and the railway would run along the embankment that can be seen going across beyond the ground. The large factory in the background was across the other side of Woolwich Road and was there into the 60s. Painting was clearly drawn from The Heights area. Maryon Park on the right. Presumably drawn soon after opening, so early 1920s. The image shown in the link is higher resolution and you can see more detail. All seems to fit for me.
  • Options

In the text-'sailors used to call it Happy Valley.....before CAFC arrived'.....any sailors left?
  • Options

In the text-'sailors used to call it Happy Valley.....before CAFC arrived'.....any sailors left?
    Yes
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Saw this on a Facebook page, claiming “The Valley, Charlton Athletic, before any stands or terraces were built, and the giant East Stand was just a mud bank”

Thoughts?
    Same here (saw it on FB) someone said maybe but the scenery is more like 1600.....not to sure myself.
    Factory buildings in 1600?
    That's why I said not to sure....maybe 1800?
  • Options
    Top pic Gilberts Pit.
    Middle pic Thorntree Road with Gulberts Pit on the left.
    Bottom pic - Gilberts Pit in at it's deepest.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Saw this on a Facebook page, claiming “The Valley, Charlton Athletic, before any stands or terraces were built, and the giant East Stand was just a mud bank”

Thoughts?
    Unless the perspective is rather off, I'd have said no. If that's the East on the right, then we should be looking from the South, but you don't get that impression of the change in height going up to The Heights. Also I'm struggling to work out where the railway line is, and what's the church to the right of the big warehouse/factory building?
    Looks like a railway embankment running from centre left to near the top. I'd need to see some potholes in the area where the car park is to be sure though.
  • Options

Thoughts?
    Same here (saw it on FB) someone said maybe but the scenery is more like 1600.....not to sure myself.
    Football not invented until 1863.
  • Options
    Betrothed and divine.
  • Options

Thoughts?
    When we first moved into the Valley the east terrace was just called ' the cliff '. It doesn't look much like a cliff
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Thoughts?
    When we first moved into the Valley the east terrace was just called ' the cliff '. It doesn't look much like a cliff
    It was named after the bloke that first stood there.
  • Options

Thoughts?

• Options

Thoughts?

Thought he was more of a hamster fan.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    So, The East Terrace was originally named after Harry Webb...🤔😉
  • Options

Thoughts?

Thought he was more of a hamster fan.
    Cliff's wig is worth more than i earn in a year!
  • Options
    So, The East Terrace was originally named after Harry Webb...🤔😉
    It certainly cast a big shadow.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Thoughts?
    Unless the perspective is rather off, I'd have said no. If that's the East on the right, then we should be looking from the South, but you don't get that impression of the change in height going up to The Heights. Also I'm struggling to work out where the railway line is, and what's the church to the right of the big warehouse/factory building?
    probably Holy Trinity at the end of Charlton Lane, apparently demolished in the early 1970s: https://www.charltonparks.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Holy-Trinity-New-Charlton-Parish-News-July-1907.pdf

The church would definitely be HolyTrinity, it stood on the corner of Charlton Lane by the level crossing.  Was married there in 1972 so demolished in mid 1970s I think.

The railway line is the embankment running left to right which passes behind the Church and I would guess the signal box is the building behind it.

Clearly an artists impression but obviously The Valley. Even the toilets are in the exact place they were in the 1960s as is the little refreshment hut and the concrete panel perimeter wall. The footprint of the narrow gauge railway serving the gravel pit now the path under the bridge also seems visible.