Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST—MATCH THREAD: Morecambe V Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 14th March 2023: KO 19.45pm

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    m_2 said:
    Ryan Innis: captain in second half. 99 minutes of excellent centre half dominance. One mistake all night . . .
    Come on you Innis haters, credit where it is due!
    But that’s the issue for me. Does not matter as a defender if you’re excellent for 99 minutes, due to where you are on the pitch your mistakes are going to be punished more so than others.
    His mistake was on the halfway line, we had enough players back that we should have been able to deal with it. If we're 1-0 up and he does that fair enough but at 3-0 I can see why you might try something clever. 

That Daniel Crowley would be worth a look at. I thought he looked threatening all game, quick, tricky, good balance. 
    It was near the half way line, just after our RB had been beaten on the byline and Inniss was not in his CB position as he had gone over to cover the move.

I have no issue him doing this, in fact that is good defending to read the game and do that, but to make then mistake he did when he is then out of position is poor. And as you can see from the highlights we didn't have enough people back and Morecambe were easily able to move into the space left vacant by Inniss.

Big screenshot of players positions immediately after he lost the ball.

• Options
    Even if the backheel didn't bounce off his knee, I can't see who he was trying to pass it to
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Even if the backheel didn't bounce off his knee, I can't see who he was trying to pass it to
    You'll see in the replay.
    It was very dumb, and it was unnecessary. But we were 3-0, and if we'd been 1-0 he'd have put in row Z, which is what he's been doing recently. (Although at 0-0, as we haven't been 1-0 for ages! 😂)
  • Options
    With CBTs first goal, he said he felt the ball on his leg so you have to give him the benefit and the goal.
  • Options
    A result which ends any lingering concerns about being drawn into the lower reaches of the table and hopefully we can put another 3 points on the board at Cambridge on Saturday. You can never read results off the league table but, aside from tough games against Wycombe and Ipswich, our run-in is pretty favourable and we should be capable of a top half finish. Hardly cause for celebration - and we are still the biggest under performers in the division (and probably the EFL) - but it could have been worse.

I was worried about our back four, given the absence of Ness and Sessegnon, but Hector and Inniss both played well (save for the latter's one aberration), as did Clare, who is probably the best ball carrier at the club. Terrell Thomas looked a bit shaky to me but he settled down and didn't do badly for someone playing out of position - the fact that Penney didn't make the 18 speaks volumes. Fraser didn't look fully fit to me but his moment of class put paid to any possible comeback from a very poor Morecambe side. Blackett-Taylor and Campbell were both impressive and it was good to see Kanu and, in particular, Egbo, getting some minutes.

We really needed that after the ineptitude of recent weeks and can now look forward to Saturday with a bit of confidence.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    A result which ends any lingering concerns about being drawn into the lower reaches of the table and hopefully we can put another 3 points on the board at Cambridge on Saturday. You can never read results off the league table but, aside from tough games against Wycombe and Ipswich, our run-in is pretty favourable and we should be capable of a top half finish. Hardly cause for celebration - and we are still the biggest under performers in the division (and probably the EFL) - but it could have been worse.

I was worried about our back four, given the absence of Ness and Sessegnon, but Hector and Inniss both played well (save for the latter's one aberration), as did Clare, who is probably the best ball carrier at the club. Terrell Thomas looked a bit shaky to me but he settled down and didn't do badly for someone playing out of position - the fact that Penney didn't make the 18 speaks volumes. Fraser didn't look fully fit to me but his moment of class put paid to any possible comeback from a very poor Morecambe side. Blackett-Taylor and Campbell were both impressive and it was good to see Kanu and, in particular, Egbo, getting some minutes.

We really needed that after the ineptitude of recent weeks and can now look forward to Saturday with a bit of confidence.
    If we could merge Dobson and Clare into one DM beast that would be fantastic.

Dobson's reading of the game and ability to time interceptions and tackles combined with Clare's mobility on the ball.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    You'll see in the replay.
    It was very dumb, and it was unnecessary. But we were 3-0, and if we'd been 1-0 he'd have put in row Z, which is what he's been doing recently. (Although at 0-0, as we haven't been 1-0 for ages! 😂)
    Looked at the replay. Even if that meets his target, he's under a lot of pressure to receive the ball there. 

I'm not so sure he'd have put that in row Z at 1-0, he's gifted the oppo goals even when it's been 0-0!
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    ..Thing is neither could he..🙄
  • Options
    I agree that Inniss was a fault for their goal, even with all his good forward play surely Campbell must take a little criticism for not marking back with Morecambe's number 2 who scored.

However all in all a much better performance all round
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got a voucher from the club to watch this one and glad I did. Was shocked by Morecambe. They have been a bogy side to us in the past but were just awful last night. Must have real injury or personnel issues in their squad. I have never seen a game played where not one substitute has been made by a side. Bizarre.

Charlton were good value and there was a real snap about the midfield. Full marks to Morgan and Fraser who were very hard working off the ball. Fraser's goal was a peach...his body language was very much I know what I want here, give me the return ball and I will score. And he did. The rest has done him good.

Our wide players also did well in the first half. Campbell was a handful and CBT created the two corners which led to goals with direct running and shooting for goal. Leaburn continues to progress although I think Curbs has a point about him needing to mix it and run off the shoulder more often.
  • Options
    It's interesting that since Holden came in, our away form has improved and it's our home form that has been poor. Under Holden we now have 2 home wins and 4 away wins
  • Options
    Regularly read how we should play Clare in midfield. I remember just how bad he was in midfield for six months or so when he joined us. It's a very different position, requiring a lot more footballing intelligence and positional sense, not to mention technical ability. I'm very skeptical that he can play the position. I fancy it would be a disaster. He's a reasonable L1 full back or centre back if needed. That's pretty much his level. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I'm a bit pissed off at Inniss for blotting his copybook (albeit in a magnificently daft manner) - I reckon without that he'd have had a serious player marks boost. Maybe even man of the match! But I'm the first to say that we must at times take the cymbal-clanging rough with the colossal leader-of-men smooth, for what is a man if not a flawed and yearning thing, an Ideal that can be reached for, if ne'er fully grasped......
  • Options
    Also you lot thought he'd be injured and suspended all season SO THERE
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Morgan: 6 Yeah he run loads but this CM cannot pass!!
    Dobson: 7 good positioning and tackling. Best game for a while. 
    Fraser: 7 Took his goal well. Hopefully he builds on it.

Morgan:  6.5 couple of decent balls, ran around a lot, silly booking. Typical Morgan performance.
    Dobson: 7 steady Eddie yet again. Stepped in and broke up a couple of their rare attempts. 
    Fraser: 7.5 good to see him back and finished off a really great passing goal. 
    I know some believe I have some weird bias in favour of Morgan, in reality I see him as an average league one player, but some posters have an even weirder bias against the bloke:

Goals/Assists
    Morgan 0/0
    Dobson 0/0
    Fraser 1/0

Passing Accuracy
    Morgan 82%
    Dobson 85%.
    Fraser 76%.

Touches
    Morgan 61
    Dobson's 46
    Fraser 49

Defense
    Morgan 2 tackles, 2 Interceptions, 8 recoveries, 1 Block. 0 Clearances
    Dobson 4 tackles, 1 interception, 5 recoveries, 0 Blocks, 1 Clearance
    Fraser 4 tackles, 1 interception, 7 recoveries.

They're all similar. I just don't get why Morgan is constantly knocked by some even when he has a half decent game, but Fraser and Dobson get brown nosed? This week Fraser being marked higher makes sense, good goal, but bar two tackles he was behind Morgan on every other stat. 
    Morgan goes backwards with a lot of his passing. Naturally his stats will be higher. Dobson didnt have an utterly fantastic game but he played like a DM, good positioning and strong in the tackle, lay off to other players.

He didnt have a terrible game but he isnt the future of this club. He is ridiculously inconsistent. 

I dont "brown nose" either 2, they played better IMO. Check my previous marks on Fraser and Dobbo to see that I call it how I see it.
  • Options
    What annoys me is we have brought Hector in for others to ‘learn from’. Inniss is obviously not teachable. There was a time in the first half where Hector was under pressure and had no other option but to play the ball out of touch to regalvanise. Inniss has a carbon copy in the second half…tries a stupid back flick to nobody and we concede! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Campbell's assist was fantastic and I would like to see him given a run, but he did run into a LOT of culs-de-sac, so I'd emphasise that patience will be required and he will have ineffective games 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    m_2 said:
    Ryan Innis: captain in second half. 99 minutes of excellent centre half dominance. One mistake all night . . .
    But that’s the issue for me. Does not matter as a defender if you’re excellent for 99 minutes, due to where you are on the pitch your mistakes are going to be punished more so than others.
    His mistake was on the halfway line, we had enough players back that we should have been able to deal with it. If we're 1-0 up and he does that fair enough but at 3-0 I can see why you might try something clever. 

That Daniel Crowley would be worth a look at. I thought he looked threatening all game, quick, tricky, good balance. 
    It was near the half way line, just after our RB had been beaten on the byline and Inniss was not in his CB position as he had gone over to cover the move.

I have no issue him doing this, in fact that is good defending to read the game and do that, but to make then mistake he did when he is then out of position is poor. And as you can see from the highlights we didn't have enough people back and Morecambe were easily able to move into the space left vacant by Inniss.

Big screenshot of players positions immediately after he lost the ball.

Not quite, that screenshot is a little late. This is the position immediately after Inniss loses the ball:

Hector has to come across but he's there to intercept. He gets it wrong, shows the player inside and goes to sit in the crowd for a bit. Your screenshot comes after Hector has wafted his leg at the ball and made his own error and that's why he's now wrong side
  • Options
    Great result that certainly wasn't expected by me. Either my predictions are rubbish (probably true) or we are difficult to predict.

I didn't watch, but sounds like a decent performance all around with nobody having a bad game. Hopefully we can continue this form at Cambridge and beyond. It would be nice to have a few positive performances between now and the end of the season.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    m_2 said:
    His mistake was on the halfway line, we had enough players back that we should have been able to deal with it. If we're 1-0 up and he does that fair enough but at 3-0 I can see why you might try something clever. He was unfortunate that he backheeled it into his own foot (somehow)

I do find it interesting that when Inniss is involved any kind of wider analysis seems to go out the window. Our biggest issue isn't that Inniss gifts goals, it's that when someone makes a mistake every other player seems to collapse in unison and the opposition walk the ball into the net. If you properly look at Morecambe's goal last night it's a litany of errors.
    Clare pushes very far forward, well into the opposition half. He doesn't win the ball, gets done and then doesn't get his recovery tackle right. Inniss steps way out and tries a silly backheel that doesn't come off. At this point two of our back four have gone walkabout so Hector has to come across. Instead of showing the attacker down the line to allow people to get back, Hector shows him inside, dangles a lazy leg at the ball and never gets near the player again. Thomas bless him has now had to move from left back to RCB. His position actually isn't bad, he's taken up an intelligent enough spot but he needs help from his winger to cover the left back spot, which Campbell realises far too late and then gives up on part way through realising. The shot that comes in isn't very good but AMB dives like he's made of pixels and fails to get near a fairly tame shot. Inniss is part of that but I don't know how people are tearing their hair out over his contribution, other than the fact it's fairly weird and unnecessary from him. There were still three pieces of poor team play, positioning and reading of the game by our players after that and oen before it; if your centre back makes a mistake by the halfway line and right next to the byline and you concede from it, it's taken a team effort to let the opposition score. Players make mistakes all the time, moreso as you go down the leagues. What we need to work on is our players' ability to reshuffle and not go to pieces of the back of these errors as we don't seem to be able to react at all, and we're always going to make mistakes so it's a pretty important skill.
    This is harsh analysis G-man. From Innis's clanger to the ball being in the net, just seven seconds pass by. To Morecambe's credit they broke with incredible speed and made the most of the chance. Man City's defence would've struggled to react there. None of that happens without Innis once again being a plonker. 

I wish we'd stop normalising a CB who regularly gives goals and chances to the opposition.
  • Options
    “Can we stop normalising a CB who regularly gives goals and chances to the opposition”

No

If you are determined to scapegoat our players beyond all logic and evidence, do us a favour, find a different club.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

m_2 said:
    “Can we stop normalising a CB who regularly gives goals and chances to the opposition”

No

If you are determined to scapegoat our players beyond all logic and evidence, do us a favour, find a different club.
    I don't even know where to start with this one, which from experience tells me I probably shouldn't!