Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Garner speaks out

Comments

• Options
    Nothing there that we didn't know already.
    Garner was a gonna as soon as he started criticising TS publically and TS said that. 
    Exactly.

You start publicly slagging off your boss and you shouldn't really be surprised when he gives you the bullet without a leaving do and collection!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Lack of class from Martin Sandgaard.
    I’m not quite sure just from those few words in the article what you expected from MS. 

Do you mean he might have defended BG as we understand he was instrumental in bringing him in or do you mean he might have said something after the call? I guess it’s even plausible MS didn’t  want the outcome but was overruled by his father.

i didn’t know how to interpret the article given, as offers have said, it seems strange BG didn’t defend himself/challenge.  MS may have spoken to him after the call for all we know. It’s a little ambiguous to me how it’s written. 

Regardless I suspect BG knew it was coming, there may have been other conversations before and he more means when it was finally confirmed it was very matter of fact and the way TS as an American deals with sackings. Very harsh but not unique to him. Unpleasant for all and the harsher side of professional football. 
  • Options
    Garner was a gonna as soon as he started criticising TS publically and TS said that. 
    A bit similar to the Scott Parker situation at Bournemouth.
  • Options
    Everything any Charlton supporter needs to know set out by someone who does know. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    "maybe one or two were a bit comfortable" then a sentence later "I made it clear I was going to change that culture" so if it was only one or two how does that make it a culture in the club?

I think it's fairly self evident it was way more than "one or two" that were "a bit comfortable" 

Because an aspect of changing the culture is getting rid of the players that are too comfortable and bringing in players that show what the new culture should be like. 

Look at Arteta at Arsenal for example, fell out with players such as Ozil, Aubamayang but it was all to get to the culture change you see now. Only one or two 'leaders' can cause the entire club to be lazy. 

Problem is Garner was stuck with the players he had and wasn't given anything in the window to improve things. The squad ended up actually getting worse from the end of the season before to this one. 
  • Options
    "maybe one or two were a bit comfortable" then a sentence later "I made it clear I was going to change that culture" so if it was only one or two how does that make it a culture in the club?

I think it's fairly self evident it was way more than "one or two" that were "a bit comfortable" 

Because an aspect of changing the culture is getting rid of the players that are too comfortable and bringing in players that show what the new culture should be like. 

Look at Arteta at Arsenal for example, fell out with players such as Ozil, Aubamayang but it was all to get to the culture change you see now. Only one or two 'leaders' can cause the entire club to be lazy. 

Problem is Garner was stuck with the players he had and wasn't given anything in the window to improve things. The squad ended up actually getting worse from the end of the season before to this one. 
    So who are the individuals that are in the dressing room and causing issues I wonder? Are they all now gone or at least on loan elsewhere ?
  • Options
    edited March 2023

So who are the individuals that are in the dressing room and causing issues I wonder? Are they all now gone or at least on loan elsewhere ?
    Unless a manager comes out and finger points it'll be very difficult to know. 

Could be players too comfortable on the injury table, could be players not bothering to put effort in training, could be players turning up late to meetings and matches. We don't know what goes on inside the club. 

Holden came in and said exactly the same thing, so did Adkins, so did Jackson at times. So clearly it's something embedded within the club for years. 
  • Options

Unless a manager comes out and finger points it'll be very difficult to know. 

Could be players too comfortable on the injury table, could be players not bothering to put effort in training, could be players turning up late to meetings and matches. We don't know what goes on inside the club. 

Holden came in and said exactly the same thing, so did Adkins, so did Jackson at times. So clearly it's something embedded within the club for years
    That’s the inference I agree. So who are we discussing therefore?

Im not sure it’s obvious at all.  
  • Options
    As we all suspected. Sandgaard walked into this with his eyes wide shut.

Still amazes me these people make the money they do with such a blasé, uninitiated approach to situations.
    Sometimes people have a good idea and high motivation in the right place at the right time, and others have a good idea and high motivation in the wrong place OR at the wrong time.

It can be a thin line between success and failure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:
    BG in on over his head with this job imo.  Decent bloke, but not cut out for getting us out this league, even if we had a proper owner.

on owners, TS is twat and and shouldn’t be anywhere near a football club.  I’m at the point now where I’m glad it’s costing him as much as it is to own us. The only problem is that it’s to our detriment. Incompetence, arrogance and naivety have led him here.  

Worryingly , it's widely assumed that he will still be a part of the Spiegel group. Blind leading the blind
  • Options
    So whose fault was it we didn’t win many matches with the game plan we were employing ?
    Guess i'd start with the 11 on the pitch, always a good one there...
    I’d agree with you…if it had been an occasional occurrence. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    cabbles said:
    BG in on over his head with this job imo.  Decent bloke, but not cut out for getting us out this league, even if we had a proper owner.

on owners, TS is twat and and shouldn’t be anywhere near a football club.  I’m at the point now where I’m glad it’s costing him as much as it is to own us. The only problem is that it’s to our detriment. Incompetence, arrogance and naivety have led him here.  

Worryingly , it's widely assumed that he will still be a part of the Spiegel group. Blind leading the blind
    That’s seems the case as far as we know, but looking at Sandgaards tenure in any detail shows an abject failure. I’m rather hoping that any new investors will take one look at Sandgaards methods and keep him as far away from the day to day running of the club as possible. Why would they even think any differently. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    don't disagree with anything he says, all stuff we pretty much knew. shame he has thrown us under the bus a bit with his remarks about Leaburn. Be surprised if he's still here next season. 
  • Options
    don't disagree with anything he says, all stuff we pretty much knew. shame he has thrown us under the bus a bit with his remarks about Leaburn. Be surprised if he's still here next season. 
    Every Premier League club exactly knows everything about Miles. 
    Nah all the big clubs do their scouting by reading the times and hope for the best.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Crap attracts crap I guess.  This is why I have no faith in this Speigel fella 
  • Options
    TS showing again that he is classless. To treat staff whatever their role in the manner that he does is very low. MS saying nothing is a big clue demonstrating what he is all about
  • Options
    Whingy poor manager who liked to blame the officials and his boss.  I have little sympathy for him falling for TS nonsense.  It's not like he couldn't have found out from any of the other 3-4 managers TS had already binned after selling them rainbows.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whingy poor manager who liked to blame the officials and his boss.  I have little sympathy for him falling for TS nonsense.  It's not like he couldn't have found out from any of the other 3-4 managers TS had already binned after selling them rainbows.
    Probably be saying the same about Holden in six months (the selling rainbows bit that is)
  • Options
    Maybe the Sangaards should try this lot next?

• Options
    Maybe the Sangaards should try this lot next?

Well it’s certainly been a bungle.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Exactly.

You start publicly slagging off your boss and you shouldn't really be surprised when he gives you the bullet without a leaving do and collection!
    Certainly not, but then sack the employee in person, and make sure the employee knows exactly why. I dont recall Jacko criticising him in public either. As others have said, classless. And not the bloke I thought he was when he was facing down Farnell in public. 
  • Options
    down tooling, useless whinger .. feck off

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    Have to apply the caveat that he's giving his version only and the results/performances were not great, but does sound like a club without much in the way of long term leadership and planning at the top level.

Plus that is a brutal way to lose a job, deserved or not.
    That's par for the course for the USA. I've seen folks emailed and told not to come in the next day. Corporate Culture is bereft of any empathy over here.
  • Options
    Probably be saying the same about Holden in six months (the selling rainbows bit that is)
    Big difference being that Garner was in a job he was doing well at and didn't have to leave, but he couldn't be bothered to do his homework/diligence on his new employer.

Holden was out of work so even if he had doubts he did not have the same choice.

• Options
    Didn’t warm to Garner’s personality or preferred playing style, but can’t argue with any of that. It’s all stuff that is clear, even observing from the outside 
  • Options
    Garner yet to win as Colchester manager. 
    7 games without a win (not sure how many under Garner). 
  • Options
    Garner yet to win as Colchester manager. 
    7 games without a win (not sure how many under Garner). 

A one nil loss to Stockport followed by draws with Orient and Tranmere