Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Garner speaks out

13»

Comments

• Options
    Honeslty don't care what the guy says. We already know the issues. Lucky to get the job here and really needs to focus on his current job.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    I got chatting to a bloke in the next chair in my barber a couple of weeks ago. He's a youth coach / development coach at Chelsea and pretty sure he said he was Garner's assistant at Bristol Rovers, either way he's good friend with Garner, and he said pretty much as above, although not as much detail. I thought it was what we already knew so didn't think it worth sharing at the time

This post is just another when a CL member is half cut.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    sam3110 said:
    With all due respect to Garner, and it's a shitty way to find out, but he said Thomas didn't give a reason.

The reason was pretty clear from where I was sitting, the football was shit and we were slipping closer and closer to the drop zone
    The worst under Holden has been significantly worse than the worst under Garner. But I blame neither really. Without a firing Leaburn we've been absolutely toothless under either manager thanks to the inadequate playing staff and above all the dreadful, dreadful other strikers we've had 
    Only 6 teams have scored more goals than us and that's not all down to Leaburn, but I agree we need better to win promotion. We have a bigger problem with our defence - only 8 teams have conceded more.

Garner was never going to get us promoted and was rightly sacked. Being sacked the way he was, cowardly and wrong though.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
  • Options
    Personally really rated Garner, think he would have done well with us with another transfer window. 
  • Options
    No surprise with the words of Ben Garner:

Martin Sandgaard convinces Thomas to go for a League 2 manager when TS said he was looking at going for a top European manager; then MS goes mute after guitar man give Garner the sack.

What I find a surprise is why didn't Ben Garner fight his corner on the video call ? Ask TS Why didn't you back me in the August window when you had made certain promises in the job interview ?

It feels like Ben just accepted the situation and realized that he couldn't succeed at Cafc with the players at his disposal to play the way he wanted. Playing out from the back with Lavelle and Inniss with no left footed left back was doomed to failure. Erratic midfield and his captain Stockley struggling to fit into a 3 up front with no twin striker alongside him.

In the 30 seconds did Thomas Sandgaard say you are dismissed but we will pay your contract up. If not wouldn't you ask ?

I said when the Summer window shut that Garner will be gutted and it didn't take long for Ben to say the play off places will be really tough to achieve.

When Owner, manager, coaches, fans and staff aren't on the same page you don't succeed on or off the field.
    Yeah i think we'll file that one under 'yet another lie'.

Adkins - out of work
    Jackson - already at the club
    Garner - league 2
    Holden - out of work

Not a chance we were going to employ a 'top' European manager. Unless TS had found some guy from the Faroe Islands or Luxembourg.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    sam3110 said:
    With all due respect to Garner, and it's a shitty way to find out, but he said Thomas didn't give a reason.

The reason was pretty clear from where I was sitting, the football was shit and we were slipping closer and closer to the drop zone
    The worst under Holden has been significantly worse than the worst under Garner. But I blame neither really. Without a firing Leaburn we've been absolutely toothless under either manager thanks to the inadequate playing staff and above all the dreadful, dreadful other strikers we've had 
    Only 6 teams have scored more goals than us and that's not all down to Leaburn, but I agree we need better to win promotion. We have a bigger problem with our defence - only 8 teams have conceded more.

Garner was never going to get us promoted and was rightly sacked. Being sacked the way he was, cowardly and wrong though.
    We also joint 5th lowest in games failed to score in as well (and that is after that period of games against top 6 sides where we couldn't hit a barn door) - so on the whole we do tend to score goals. We are certainly lacking a 20+ goal a year striker (maybe Leaburn could have been that player if he stayed fit), and it is remiss to say we wouldn't be in a better position in the league if we had one.

But you are totally correct the starkness in how poor our defensive stats have been all season are my real cause for concern going into next year - joint 3rd worse for clean sheets as well.

Holden praised Garner for the attacking movements he coached into the side, and we do sometimes see evidence of that - but we were so dodgy defensively under him and to be honest I don't think we are to much better under Holden either (though Ness, and now Hector, have made us look a little more solid).

• Options

Martin Sandgaard convinces Thomas to go for a League 2 manager when TS said he was looking at going for a top European manager; then MS goes mute after guitar man give Garner the sack.

What I find a surprise is why didn't Ben Garner fight his corner on the video call ? Ask TS Why didn't you back me in the August window when you had made certain promises in the job interview ?

It feels like Ben just accepted the situation and realized that he couldn't succeed at Cafc with the players at his disposal to play the way he wanted. Playing out from the back with Lavelle and Inniss with no left footed left back was doomed to failure. Erratic midfield and his captain Stockley struggling to fit into a 3 up front with no twin striker alongside him.

In the 30 seconds did Thomas Sandgaard say you are dismissed but we will pay your contract up. If not wouldn't you ask ?

I said when the Summer window shut that Garner will be gutted and it didn't take long for Ben to say the play off places will be really tough to achieve.

When Owner, manager, coaches, fans and staff aren't on the same page you don't succeed on or off the field.

Adkins - out of work
    Garner - league 2
    Holden - out of work

Not a chance we were going to employ a 'top' European manager. Unless TS had found some guy from the Faroe Islands or Luxembourg.
    TS came up with the genius idea of ‘what about Rafa Benitez?!’ After reaching out, his representatives replied with ‘thanks but no thanks’. 
    That really was the extent of it. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Leuth said:
    sam3110 said:

We also joint 5th lowest in games failed to score in as well (and that is after that period of games against top 6 sides where we couldn't hit a barn door) - so on the whole we do tend to score goals. We are certainly lacking a 20+ goal a year striker (maybe Leaburn could have been that player if he stayed fit), and it is remiss to say we wouldn't be in a better position in the league if we had one.

But you are totally correct the starkness in how poor our defensive stats have been all season are my real cause for concern going into next year - joint 3rd worse for clean sheets as well.

Holden praised Garner for the attacking movements he coached into the side, and we do sometimes see evidence of that - but we were so dodgy defensively under him and to be honest I don't think we are to much better under Holden either (though Ness, and now Hector, have made us look a little more solid).

Our defense/conceding soft goals has been a problem for years. Never going to get promoted without sorting it out. Sheffield Wednesday and Plymouths top scorers are on 11 and 13 goals respectively, 20 goal a season strikers just aren't necessary for promotion but 20 clean sheets a season defences are.
    Don’t tell Golfie 🤫
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Leuth said:
    sam3110 said:

Our defense/conceding soft goals has been a problem for years. Never going to get promoted without sorting it out. Sheffield Wednesday and Plymouths top scorers are on 11 and 13 goals respectively, 20 goal a season strikers just aren't necessary for promotion but 20 clean sheets a season defences are.
    Don’t tell Golfie 🤫
    Nor all those who panned Adkins for saying it...

It's so hard to judge Adkins and Garner because they were quite clearly missold the job where as Holden and Jackson both came in to not get relegated.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Leuth said:
    sam3110 said:

Don’t tell Golfie 🤫

It's so hard to judge Adkins and Garner because they were quite clearly missold the job where as Holden and Jackson both came in to not get relegated.
    It's not that hard. They both failed and the football was shite and so were the results.
  • Options
    I assumed the European manager was Di Matteo , but Benitez is one of the barmiest things I have ever heard but somewhat unsurprising for TS 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Leuth said:
    sam3110 said:

Don’t tell Golfie 🤫

It's not that hard. They both failed and the football was shite and so were the results.
    They were never going to succeed with the squads they had.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Off_it said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Leuth said:
    sam3110 said:

Don’t tell Golfie 🤫

The results and performances under Adkins were good, until he realised he had been done up like a kipper.  Both should have been more pragmatic and could have done better.

Both were sold a pub. 
  • Options
    The debate about the managers is peripheral. The issue is the clown who appointed them and then removed them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ct_addick said:
    thenewbie said:
    Have to apply the caveat that he's giving his version only and the results/performances were not great, but does sound like a club without much in the way of long term leadership and planning at the top level.

Plus that is a brutal way to lose a job, deserved or not.
    That's par for the course for the USA. I've seen folks emailed and told not to come in the next day. Corporate Culture is bereft of any empathy over here.
    And at Charlton under the Spivs ten years ago!
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Leuth said:
    sam3110 said:

Goals win games, clean sheets win championships 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Off_it said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Leuth said:
    sam3110 said:

Don’t tell Golfie 🤫

The results and performances under Adkins were good, until he realised he had been done up like a kipper.  Both should have been more pragmatic and could have done better.

Both were sold a pub. 

When we were 0-2 down against Cheltenham at HT at the Valley under Nigel Adkins and only the much criticised Craig Macgillivray had kept the score down, I did think I was watching the Dog and Duck pub team. 
  • Options

Adkins - out of work
    Garner - league 2
    Holden - out of work

A former Charlton player managed both of those countries.
  • Options
    Ferryman said:

Adkins - out of work
    Garner - league 2
    Holden - out of work

A former Charlton player managed both of those countries.

Allan Simonsen