Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

'Social Housing' .. and Rip Off Landlords

Comments

• Options
    Rubbish. But ignore away, it’s probably ‘common sense’ to you after all.
  • Options
     :'( 
  • Options
    For the record I have not mentioned woke, racism, the Tories, the Irish Border, the leave victory of 2016, vegetarianism, nor made any personal remarks about any other poster on this thread.
    Thanks for reading this.
    Off you all go.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    If they really are noble ideas then perhaps they ought to happen.
    I would put on a substantial bet that my local authority and local MP would be in favour of the idea I suggest above.
    Land, or space with or without buildings on, is pretty finite, so if those who own land (a concept which in itself is open to a moral and philosophical debate) are not prepared to accept that ‘ownership’ is actually part of the social contract we are all obliged to live by then feck ‘em.
    Land was seized and held by force originally anyway for the most part.
    I know it's not the point you are making, Seth, and that I may have mentioned it once or twice before ;) , but though land is of course finite, there is plenty avialable to build on, and at the moment that appears to be increasing rather than decreasing.

https://www.cpre.org.uk/about-us/cpre-media/record-breaking-number-of-brownfield-sites-identified-for-redevelopment/
    I think I read that in the UK only 5% of the land mass is built on (yes there are ‘reasons’), so there is plenty of space, including space for the sad, frightened, and desperate people who arrive across the channel in small boats.
    those already here and the millions more that'll be attracted by your proposed generosity in spending the UK tax payers hard earned in housing them, and presumably paying for their healthcare, clothing schooling, food, utility bills ? .. you surely haven't thought this through or is this just another fleeting case of wishful thinking ? 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Rubbish. But ignore away, it’s probably ‘common sense’ to you after all.
    It *is* common sense - Be homeless but have a second job. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    If they really are noble ideas then perhaps they ought to happen.
    I would put on a substantial bet that my local authority and local MP would be in favour of the idea I suggest above.
    Land, or space with or without buildings on, is pretty finite, so if those who own land (a concept which in itself is open to a moral and philosophical debate) are not prepared to accept that ‘ownership’ is actually part of the social contract we are all obliged to live by then feck ‘em.
    Land was seized and held by force originally anyway for the most part.
    I know it's not the point you are making, Seth, and that I may have mentioned it once or twice before ;) , but though land is of course finite, there is plenty avialable to build on, and at the moment that appears to be increasing rather than decreasing.

https://www.cpre.org.uk/about-us/cpre-media/record-breaking-number-of-brownfield-sites-identified-for-redevelopment/
    I think I read that in the UK only 5% of the land mass is built on (yes there are ‘reasons’), so there is plenty of space, including space for the sad, frightened, and desperate people who arrive across the channel in small boats.
    those already here and the millions more that'll be attracted by your proposed generosity in spending the UK tax payers hard earned in housing them, and presumably paying for their healthcare, clothing schooling, food, utility bills ? .. you surely haven't thought this through or is this just another fleeting case of wishful thinking ? 
    I don't know if it is wishful thinking.
    Probably, but countries like Greece and Italy and Turkey and others take loads more than the UK.
    The thread is about housing, and more specifically the title mentions social housing and rip off landlords.
    Perhaps I extend the notion of 'social' to all those in need including asylum seekers, and I am interested in the concept of 'rip off' in terms of regulating rents and affordability for those most dispossessed.
    As for who pays for what, if people are allowed to work and pay their taxes then everybody pays for stuff needed.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    Average London salary: 20k
    Average house price: 80k.
    Ratio to annual earnings: 4x 

Average London salary: 37k
    Average house price: 537k
    Ratio to annual earnings: 14x 

Mortgage Repayment as % of Salary
    (For average London house, on average London salary) 

1995: 29% of salary

2023: 79%* of salary

*The av. London house is no longer affordable to the average Londoner. 
    I’m surprised by those 1995 figures. Was the average London house really 80k? I bought a one bedroom flat (in a reasonably nice area) in 1993 for 100k, and I don’t remember being able to get much for 80k. Also the ratio to annual earnings with your figures was 4x, but I’m sure it was more than that in 1995. It was 4x in 1980 I think:
    1980 (when I bought my first flat):
    Ave London annual salary was around 6.5k 
    Ave London house price c. 25k
    So just 4x annual salary. 
    Was that in Mayfair... A 100k one-bed flat in 1995 is very pricey. My parents bought a three-bedroom detached house in Kidbrooke for 80k in the same year. 
    Near Wandsworth Common, very nice area, but not Mayfair. Decent price for that area at that time (1993) as it took me a long time to find it. (It was post divorce, so all I could afford back then). 
    Flats in that street are about 450k now for a one bedroom, min 600k for two bedroom. Very large Victorian houses. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Back on topic a little what with me being a Trustee/rip off Landlord :D

A little bit of good news in that the Governments U Turn on EPC ratings for new tenancies in 2025 and all by 2028.

We try to make our properties as efficient as possible for our tenants, all now have boilers sub 10 years old, new double glazing in the past 10 years and also we've just re insulated all lofts to a higher spec.

Our problem is all bar about 5 of our properties are pre 1900, so no cavity wall. We had a couple of surveyors look at the houses and they like I expected due to their terrace nature and build are not suitable to clad them externally. Therefore in reality the only option would be to clad internally. I won't bore you with all the details around wiring and plumbing but in essence to get to a C for these properties would likely mean between 30-35k each. It would have been just another nail in the coffin. It would also mean any tenant would need to move out for around 6-8 weeks.

So at least that for now has not been the final nail, just a few more nails to deal with!
    Oh no you have to make property that people live in liveable! Oh dear, nevermind.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:

I’m surprised by those 1995 figures. Was the average London house really 80k? I bought a one bedroom flat (in a reasonably nice area) in 1993 for 100k, and I don’t remember being able to get much for 80k. Also the ratio to annual earnings with your figures was 4x, but I’m sure it was more than that in 1995. It was 4x in 1980 I think:
    Was that in Mayfair... A 100k one-bed flat in 1995 is very pricey. My parents bought a three-bedroom detached house in Kidbrooke for 80k in the same year. 
    Near Wandsworth Common, very nice area, but not Mayfair. Decent price for that area at that time (1993) as it took me a long time to find it. (It was post divorce, so all I could afford back then). 
    Flats in that street are about 450k now for a one bedroom, min 600k for two bedroom. Very large Victorian houses. 
    That is a very nice area. Had a girlfriend at uni who lived on a massive house on the common. We used to see Jack Dee walking his dog. 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:

Chez bruce is one of my favourite restaurants in london, very much a "your favourite chef's favourite restaurant" as well located at wandsworth common. I do miss that area sometimes (used to live in balham)
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

A little bit of good news in that the Governments U Turn on EPC ratings for new tenancies in 2025 and all by 2028.

We try to make our properties as efficient as possible for our tenants, all now have boilers sub 10 years old, new double glazing in the past 10 years and also we've just re insulated all lofts to a higher spec.

Our problem is all bar about 5 of our properties are pre 1900, so no cavity wall. We had a couple of surveyors look at the houses and they like I expected due to their terrace nature and build are not suitable to clad them externally. Therefore in reality the only option would be to clad internally. I won't bore you with all the details around wiring and plumbing but in essence to get to a C for these properties would likely mean between 30-35k each. It would have been just another nail in the coffin. It would also mean any tenant would need to move out for around 6-8 weeks.

So at least that for now has not been the final nail, just a few more nails to deal with!
    Oh no you have to make property that people live in liveable! Oh dear, nevermind.
    Yet again, zero idea of what you are talking about, EPC rating is to do with the energy efficiency, not liveable, it's quite possible to have a B or even A rated sh1thole. The clues in the title Energy Performance Certificate......

It was estimated that change had it of gone though would have took nearly 300,000 private rental properties out of the market by 2028 (plus however many public sector houses) as it was either impossible or cost prohibitive to achieve.

Still when I give my report at the Half yearly summoned meeting in October our tenants will be over the moon that this has happened as it was one of the key reasons we would have had to liquidate as I had previously been advising them.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Yet again, zero idea of what you are talking about, EPC rating is to do with the energy efficiency, not liveable, it's quite possible to have a B or even A rated sh1thole. The clues in the title Energy Performance Certificate......

It was estimated that change had it of gone though would have took nearly 300,000 private rental properties out of the market by 2028 (plus however many public sector houses) as it was either impossible or cost prohibitive to achieve.

Still when I give my report at the Half yearly summoned meeting in October our tenants will be over the moon that this has happened as it was one of the key reasons we would have had to liquidate as I had previously been advising them.
    Says the middle aged millionaire lecturing young people about renting.

I've lived in places with terrible EPC ratings, and they are unliveable when the cold hits. The changes have been brought in to make the places liveable to a modern standard and energy efficient (the two go hand in hand). I wonder what crying about spending £30k to upkeep millions of £ of assets is called...
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

You can clad terraced houses with EWI mate. Its easy and probably costs about £6k on average.

Internal is pretty crap IMHO but again doable for alot less than £10k on average depending upon what enabling needs to be done, 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

I've lived in places with terrible EPC ratings, and they are unliveable when the cold hits. The changes have been brought in to make the places liveable to a modern standard and energy efficient (the two go hand in hand). I wonder what crying about spending £30k to upkeep millions of £ of assets is called...
    Well, in our case, like many thousands of small landlords, we don't have millions of £ of assets, KA. So it would take us over three years to recoup £30k per property. Plus we wouldn't have £30k per property to pay up front anyway. At our age it might just be a case of selling and spending the proceeds over the next (maybe 🤞) 20 years. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

What makes you think I'm a millionaire? If I was it'd likely be due to wise investments and not throwing money away at swanky restaurants or paying someone else's mortgage  ;)  but yer, what would I know about any of that.

Almost all our properties are D rated, far from unliveable, hence why we tend to have tenants for decades who think we are fantastic landlords and why we have queues around the block when a property comes up for rent. 

How you getting on transferring away from your greedy landlord? Any second job in the offing?
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Well, in our case, like many thousands of small landlords, we don't have millions of £ of assets, KA. So it would take us over three years to recoup £30k per property. Plus we wouldn't have £30k per property to pay up front anyway. At our age it might just be a case of selling and spending the proceeds over the next (maybe 🤞) 20 years. 
    EWI costs @ £80 to £100 per rm2 and really works. Reduced my bills by about half in my old house when i put it up.

£30k is a big job for EWI on a house.

Average is about 10 to 12 k and there's grants to help - 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

What makes you think I'm a millionaire? If I was it'd likely be due to wise investments and not throwing money away at swanky restaurants or paying someone else's mortgage  ;)  but yer, what would I know about any of that.

Almost all our properties are D rated, far from unliveable, hence why we tend to have tenants for decades who think we are fantastic landlords and why we have queues around the block when a property comes up for rent. 

How you getting on transferring away from your greedy landlord? Any second job in the offing?
    Again, I can't get a second job if i'm homeless which is what would happen to me if I didn't rent privately.

I'm currently working evenings on a second job anyway, which is partially my delay in answering your posts. If you don't want to come across as out of touch, maybe don't mock the fact some one's paying some one else's mortgage or jibe them about becoming homeless.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

You're now just mocking KA because you're richer than him? This is pretty gross to read ngl 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

You can clad terraced houses with EWI mate. Its easy and probably costs about £6k on average.

Internal is pretty crap IMHO but again doable for alot less than £10k on average depending upon what enabling needs to be done, 
    The advice we were given by two surveyors that on the specific properties external cladding would be difficult to not be possible, there was also a debate in two of the streets (more than half our stock) whether it would be allowable as a permitted development due to amongst other things flying freeholds and neighbour land overhanging. Internal is doable but the suggestion was that if the property hadn't recently been rewired then it should be before the cladding, would also mean having to move tenants out, remove kitchens, bathrooms etc, hence why it would not be something we could sensibly do. I can't envisage saying to our members, heh can we spend north of £1m (inc lost rent) all so that your ROI reduces to an even lower amount. I won't bore you with the added central capital levy we would also have to pay.

I'm already up against a declining ROI, I've been working on a paper this week to try to minimise the issue but it'd still likely mean selling property by property as and when a tenant gives notice rather than all in one hit, I suspect that's where we will land. That'll please some on here knowing we are further reducing the rental stock in Dartford which is already in massively short supply and worsening by the month.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

You're now just mocking KA because you're richer than him? This is pretty gross to read ngl 
    I'm not mocking him at all, I've no idea whether I'm richer than him/her and am not bothered either way, for all I know he/she's £10m in crypto. But if you keep making ludicrous comments as he does then I can respond.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Again, I can't get a second job if i'm homeless which is what would happen to me if I didn't rent privately.

I'm currently working evenings on a second job anyway, which is partially my delay in answering your posts. If you don't want to come across as out of touch, maybe don't mock the fact some one's paying some one else's mortgage or jibe them about becoming homeless.
    Only you have ever referenced being homeless together with a second job, no one else has. And I've not jibed anyone about being homeless, I've been in that position and anyone who found themselves in such a position would have my upmost sympathy and as I have done many many times I would do all I could to help them.

edit: less than two days ago you referenced viewing new build flats earlier this year that were just in your budget (think you may have used the term barely) - so why not get away from the pesky landlords you hate so much and buy one of those?

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

I'm not mocking him at all, I've no idea whether I'm richer than him/her and am not bothered either way, for all I know he/she's £10m in crypto. But if you keep making ludicrous comments as he does then I can respond.
    You absolutely were mocking me. Just apologise, for goodness sake. 

Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Only you have ever referenced being homeless together with a second job, no one else has. And I've not jibed anyone about being homeless, I've been in that position and anyone who found themselves in such a position would have my upmost sympathy and as I have done many many times I would do all I could to help them.

You told me to stop renting from landlords if I don't like it. My only option would be to be homeless - I think i've repeated that about 4 times now.

Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

edit: less than two days ago you referenced viewing new build flats earlier this year that were just in your budget (think you may have used the term barely) - so why not get away from the pesky landlords you hate so much and buy one of those?

My situation has quite dramatically changed in that time.
  • Options
    Can we call a truce and park it.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

You absolutely were mocking me. Just apologise, for goodness sake. 

Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

You told me to stop renting from landlords if I don't like it. My only option would be to be homeless - I think i've repeated that about 4 times now.

Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

My situation has quite dramatically changed in that time.
    What, like landlords with Mortgages? I believe their situation has dramatically changed, but your view was basically tough, suck it up, or as you directly said to me: 'oh dear, never mind'

I wasn't mocking you, but you have my apology if you have taken it that way. 

If your current situation has changed this past year meaning your only housing option is now private rental then I don't get why you are so anti private landlords. Isn't it a good job at this juncture that they still exist otherwise you would be homeless?

Good luck to you in your quest to buy your own place and relieve yourself from the misery of private renting, I hope you are able to achieve that sooner rather than later. 

I've said enough on this thread, some will agree with none/some/all of what I say and that's fine, I'll go back to writing my paper from a Rip of landlords perspective as we've just had the tri-annual valuation in which probably is the final nail unfortunately as they've gone up more than I expected.

EDIT;

And one last point on the ludicrous assumption that EPC rating goes hand in hand with whether a property is liveable. In December 2021 I moved to a house where the EPC rating was E. So a full two levels below what was being proposed as minimum requirement for rental.

The property was fully insulated (roof AND cavity wall), had a fully functioning central heating system (system boiler) and TRV's on every radiator and in the bathrooms also had the benefit of underfloor heating. Fully double glazed 8 years prior.

A perfectly liveable property, in fact I was amazed at how well it retained the heat, to the point we barely have the radiators on upstairs, even through that first winter over night never dropped below 15 degrees. 

To move the property to a C was six stages including solar water heating (estimated cost of £6k to save £39 per annum), dig up the solid floor throughout to insulate (£6k to save £104 a year), modernise boiler (£4k to save £240) and solar panels and battery for electricity (£11k to save £340).

The recommendations were around cost saving/energy saving rather than anything to do with being liveable.