Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

'Social Housing' .. and Rip Off Landlords

Comments

• Options
    clb74 said:
    My son worked hard & saved & bought a flat last year.
    ALL of his school friends have done the same. 
    It's about attitude in the main & being financially astute.

I had no privilege and nor did my girlfriend, unless you class living in council houses with our parents as privileged. 
    Did you give much help to your son financially?
    You're so f****** nosey :D<3
    Oh look.
    Another greedy landlord has arrived on the scene.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Leuth said:
    What hasn't been brought up yet is that young people are increasingly forced - forced - to cohabit with a partner, because only a dual income comes anywhere close to covering not only the deposit and mortgage for a bought flat (even a one-bedroom flat) but the RENT for any reasonable accommodation that isn't a room in shared lodgings in London. Doing it solo is unthinkable. 

I am in a dual-income cohabiting situation. Our combined earnings are over 80k per annum (with her as marginal breadwinner). We don't drive. We don't go to the Maldives (we do have a trip to Slovenia in the offing, is that an indulgence too far?) And we certainly don't have any children. We're both in our mid 30s and we've been renting for well over a decade apiece. She has managed more savings than me, probably because she's very sensible with her money, but we both like to enjoy things such as, y'know, food that isn't dry bread and drinks that aren't water. 

What more could we do? My second job IS my job - when I need to earn more, I take on more work as I'm paid by the hour. And I'm currently operating, as usual, at close to maximum capacity. The notion that she would take on a second job is an absolute nonsense given her long, pressurised and stressful hours that she struggles to cope with quite enough thank you.

We're doing it fairly close to right, I'd say. And London has slim, slim pickings for us. 
    It's interesting because you & your partner earn far more than my son & his partner.
    He lived with parents, saved & bought at age 27. He even owns a flash car & has a sleeve tatoo. 

Whereas you started to rent around the same age, even though housing was far cheaper 10 years ago.

As Rob7Lee says, some people manage to buy unassisted, even though they earn a lot less than others who find it impossible to buy.

I don't think anyone disputes housing is increasingly more expensive, but if people can live "at home" and save as soon as they start work, it can be done as my son & ALL 6 of his friends have achieved this in the last 2 years. 
  • Options
    Saving money is the gap between your ego and your income“

That’s an interesting quote, can someone simplify it for me so I can understand it properly 
  • Options
    Nowadays, in London, someone buying a property by themselves will have to be on 100k upwards to be able to get on the housing ladder.
    All the whilst people are renting then you are going to struggle to be able to save sufficent money to put towards a deposit, it is almost an impossible situation.
    Consequently people are relying on inheritance or help from parents.

• Options
    Maybe it's the perception for yourself inwardly and outwardly to others on how well off you think you are by spending as opposed to saving. 
  • Options

That’s an interesting quote, can someone simplify it for me so I can understand it properly 
    Wealth is created by not buying what you could buy today in order to have more or more options in the future. In other words as I've said above, live within your salary and save/invest some.

The two grads are my work are the opposite examples. They must have done £100k each on their coffee/food/rent in the past three years. Had they of just halved that spend they would have now £50k invested making them £3k per year and compounding, rather than simply waiting for the next pay check.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2023
    Nowadays, in London, someone buying a property by themselves will have to be on 100k upwards to be able to get on the housing ladder.
    All the whilst people are renting then you are going to struggle to be able to save sufficent money to put towards a deposit, it is almost an impossible situation.

In no way is that anywhere near true (if you are "living at home").
    But perhaps yes if you are already paying a fortune to fund someone else's mortgage.
    My son & his 6 school friends who have all bought in the Bromley area in the last 2 years don't earn anywhere close to that.
    I would say you would have to be on £40K upwards if living "at home" and saving maybe half of your salary for say 7 years.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Especially when you don’t have the physique to carry it off.
    Too many people in top end designer sportswear that just don’t have the overall look.
    Me? Around the Next/M&S level.
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    Especially when you don’t have the physique to carry it off.
    Too many people in top end designer sportswear that just don’t have the overall look.
    Me? Jacamo 

• Options
    Just trying to make you feel good mate, then you go and do that.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

In no way is that anywhere near true.
    My son & his 6 school friends who have all bought in the Bromley area in the last 2 years don't earn anywhere close to that.
    I would say you would have to be on £40K upwards if living "at home" and saving maybe half of your salary for say 7 years.
    So....
    40k job
    Stay at home for 7 years
    Save 120k

Sounds like a plan, some of the housing ladder solutions seem very out of touch for most people living in 2023. Thank god there's an abundance of 40 grand jobs to go round straight from school.

• Options

Live moderately now by buying cheap clothes and driving a cheap car 
    Verses 
    Buy designer clothes now and buy an expensive car.
    That sort of thing. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:

So....
    40k job
    Stay at home for 7 years
    Save 120k

Sounds like a plan, some of the housing ladder solutions seem very out of touch for most people living in 2023. Thank god there's an abundance of 40 grand jobs to go round straight from school.

Abundance is probably pushing it, but in my work we employ maybe 300 apprentices (so A Level leavers) and maybe half as much again in Grads. Whilst neither start on £40k (around £25k and 32-35k) by the time they do their 3 years, training and exams both will be on that or more. That's one company, and although one of the larger probably equates to less than 10% In and around Lloyds each year.

And what is the issue in saving for up to 7 years? does everything have to be today, tomorrow this or next year? Do you not bother putting money in a pension as it'd take 40 years?

I'd envisage if you saved half your take home pay on a £40k gross salary, invested wisely including some in LISA's you'd be getting near to a 50% deposit on a £300k property after 7 years.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

Verses 
    That sort of thing. 
    always got told off (by mum) for using 'cheap' instead of 'inexpensive' (but decent value) .. cheap = not worth having according to mama lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Verses 
    That sort of thing. 
    always got told off (by mum) for using 'cheap' instead of 'inexpensive' (but decent value) .. cheap = not worth having according to mama lol
    Mum's always known best 
    Ignore me Lincs 
    I would never try and pull rank over your mum .
  • Options

I hear what you are saying, BUT your example is not always going to be the case.  So I still go back to the case if they are renting whilst trying to buy a property.
    I am not saying I am right in my opinion btw as there are differing circumstances of course.
  • Options

I hear what you are saying, BUT your example is not always going to be the case.  So I still go back to the case if they are renting whilst trying to buy a property.
    I am not saying I am right in my opinion btw as there are differing circumstances of course.
    Yes sorry Gary, I didn't read what you said properly.
    If you are renting and perhaps spending £20K pa in rent then you would need to earn £30K in order to spend that £20K.

So yes you would need to be earning £70K+.
  • Options
    Just said on sky news , Bristol Council might look into capping rent increases.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Just said on sky news , Bristol Council might look into capping rent increases.
    Is that the starting whistle for all landlords in Bristol to raise the rents before they get their plans in place?

I can see how they can cap their own rents, but how would they cap private rents? 
    There does seem a danger that if they say rents should have increased no more than (say) 20% over the last 3 years, that all the landlords that have not done that will then do exactly that.

It seems to me that rents aren’t the problem, after all, renting works across the rest of Europe seems to work OK. 
    The problem appears to be a simple supply and demand issue. Council/charity housing has insufficient housing stock to house those that need assistance and not enough house building is being achieved to satisfy those who wish to buy so prices continue to rise faster than earnings - in London and the Southeast.

£40k for a 2 bed in Birmingham. We need to move more government jobs out of London and encourage companies to move jobs out as well so demand falls.

Won’t hold my breath.

• Options
    Sudden rent capping or rent increase capping will be disastrous, Landlords if they aren't getting enough will most likely just not renew that tenancy, then advertise a new one at a higher price. 

Germany in the main has a good system, they have a rent increase cap of I think 20% over 3 years, however most do stepped rent where it goes up every month rather than one big bang of 20%, but most landlords will make sure they get that 20% every three years, Munich is as expensive as London to rent now, if not more.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Back on topic a little what with me being a Trustee/rip off Landlord :D

A little bit of good news in that the Governments U Turn on EPC ratings for new tenancies in 2025 and all by 2028.

We try to make our properties as efficient as possible for our tenants, all now have boilers sub 10 years old, new double glazing in the past 10 years and also we've just re insulated all lofts to a higher spec.

Our problem is all bar about 5 of our properties are pre 1900, so no cavity wall. We had a couple of surveyors look at the houses and they like I expected due to their terrace nature and build are not suitable to clad them externally. Therefore in reality the only option would be to clad internally. I won't bore you with all the details around wiring and plumbing but in essence to get to a C for these properties would likely mean between 30-35k each. It would have been just another nail in the coffin. It would also mean any tenant would need to move out for around 6-8 weeks.

So at least that for now has not been the final nail, just a few more nails to deal with!