Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Bristol Rovers vs Charlton Athletic: Good Friday 7th April 2023: KO 3.00 PM

edited April 2023 in General Charlton
A lacklustre, forgettable Good Friday afternoon in the West Country sunshine sees Charlton fall with barely a whimper to an almost equally bereft Bristol Rovers, 1-0. Bristol Rovers hadn't played in some twenty days and haven't scored in about six matches, but nonetheless, they saw out the afternoon and took all three points.

Only one thing of note happened all afternoon. On 59 minutes, Rovers made a change that proved decisive. A couple of minutes later, George Dobson gave away a penalty after the ball bobbled up into his arm, having been knocked his way at close range. The resulting goal was enough, because Charlton didn't look likely to score in a month of Sundays.

No season tickets will be sold off the back of that one.

Bristol Rovers 1 Charlton 0

Over to you.

Comments

• Options
    A classic case of after the Lord Mayor's Show
  • Options
    A mid table performance and a mid table results by a mid table team, and a nice timely reminder of how much we need to improve moving into next season.

That result was almost written in the stars the moment we came up against a team who had been on a terrible run of form and decided to stay compact and put men behind the ball.

Felt almost like a carbon copy to when we played MK Dons at home earlier in the season. 

• Options
    edited April 2023
    A complete bore festival! Not a match that'll live long in the memory that's for sure!
    We just didn't turn up, we'll done to all the travelling addicks. DH needs to have a word...with the entire team....very disappointing.
  • Options
    Same old, same old. 
  • Options
    Would have given Henry a run….Kanu has had 2 1v1 chances recently and fluffed his lines…..bore fest and sums up this group of players
  • Options
    As soon as the Brassie team was announced it was obvious that they would defend through until the 2 striker came on and then attack and score - they did
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As soon as the Brassie team was announced it was obvious that they would defend through until the 2 striker came on and then attack and score - they did
    Barton won the tactical battle over Holden today. Keep it tight for an hour, then bring on 3 attacking players and take control.

It's clear that Holden doesn't trust his bench very much, when we need to change things, though I would have liked to see Bonne alongside Leaburn in the middle to try something different, as Miles was fairly ineffective today.
  • Options
    Really feel for those fans on the coaches that never made it.
    Awful.
  • Options
    Normal service has been resumed. Can’t wait for this season to finish. Thankfully, I’m missing the last two matches as I’m away.
  • Options
    I was hoping to be fired-up to attend the Burton game on Monday but that showing has reminded me that there's nothing to play for, so why bother. 
  • Options
    I thought Thomas and Hector had decent games.

The wingers were non-existent and the midfield was largely missing from an attacking perspective. 

In the end we got exactly what we deserved. Nish. 
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Normal service has been resumed. Can’t wait for this season to finish. Thankfully, I’m missing the last two matches as I’m away.
    I'm away from Monday until very late on the 28th April. Don't much relish the idea of a jet lagged trek to the valley for our final home game of the season on the 29th - but I just know that when it comes to it I'll be keen as mustard. Hopefully there'll be a change of ownership and some positive signs by then so there'll be some sense of anticipation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watched the first hour of this tedium and thought car needs washing. Made the right choice. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Listened on the stream.
    Sounds like it’s back down to earth with a bump. Seems like the defence did okay, but everything seem to grind to a halt in midfield. As others have said, I feel Holden could have countered the changes Bristol made. With Morgan and Fraser misfiring, would like to have seen Payne or Henry brought into midfield and two up top.
    This is a timely reminder that we are nowhere near a promotion winning squad.
    Will be back for the Burton game, but they’re on good form and we have a habit of going on runs. Let’s hope that’s a habit we can break on Monday. 
  • Options
    Never see the game but gutted by the result & just to rub salt into the wound I see Marquis ex Millwall put the penalty away 

• Options
    I feel sorry for the fan's who pay good money to go and watch this shit.
    At least 6 or 7 on show today need to be moved on in the summer if we are serious about promotion next season. 
    Keep most of those on show today and next season will mirror this one.
    To get us up we need at least 5 or 6 championship players we have 3 & one of them is on loan to us so we definitely need to have a big clear out to have a real go 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Sounds like I made the wrong decision today.

Do I stay home and watch the game, or go to Camber Sands with the family... decisions... decisions

Had a lovely time at the beach!!
    Knew there was something missing on the match thread,.so the sandcastles won then, unlike us...def the right choice...
  • Options
    Reality check. 

People were starting to get way ahead of themselves talking about next year with this squad. 

Complete change needed. 
  • Options
    Was on one of the coaches that didn’t make sounds like driver made th right decision to turn around 
  • Options
    As bad as last week was good. Suppose we should because to it by now. Lack of effort was a concern.