Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Bristol Rovers vs Charlton Athletic: Good Friday 7th April 2023: KO 3.00 PM

Comments

• Options
    Let's not get carried away about how bad Rovers are, and how we should easily beat them. They are now 4 points behind us with 2 games in hand, so the 2 teams are equally midtable.
  • Options
    Really bizarre performance, just didn't try to create or win the game
  • Options
    Let's not get carried away about how bad Rovers are, and how we should easily beat them. They are now 4 points behind us with 2 games in hand, so the 2 teams are equally midtable shite

• Options
    Really feel for those fans on the coaches that never made it.
    Awful.
    @cabbles your views on this?
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    One of those games you're grateful that you didn't waste shed-loads of time and money travelling to.  Bolder substitutions were needed as by 60 minutes it was obvious we needed to change things around.  But the bench is currently very lightweight...
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Was on one of the coaches that didn’t make sounds like driver made th right decision to turn around 
    Why didn't it make it was it due to to much traffic on the M4 ?
    Never actually made it to the M4 was on  M3 at Hook driver needed to take legal break for 45 mins still 90 miles away at 2.15
    Presumably the driver thought we were playing Southampton?
  • Options
    Pwr.
    Dipped in and out of the game today.
    What concerns me a little was how long Holden left it before changing things up.
    From what I saw of it their right back had Campbell in his pocket. He could have played all day and got little out of him. 
    It just wasn't happening, so the choice to leave the substitutions as late as he did was a little baffling
  • Options
    Why does Holden take so long to make changes? We kept doing the same thing (badly) over and over no hint of a tactical change until we went a goal down.

Barton seemed to work out pretty quickly that Shrewsbury was an exception rather than the rule and made an early change as it was clear we were no threat.

75% of this squad needs to be gone.
    Because everyone on the bench was worse than those on the pitch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone else sunburnt?
  • Options
    Stood from Paddington all the way to Bristol, then cabed the 3 miles from the Spoons to stand in direct sunlight watching the first half of that. 

Forgettable day all round really

• Options
    I wasn't at this one. I was busy BEING A TRUE PATRIOT. Sorry to those who attended 

• Options
    Millwall Marquis 1 Charlton 0.

Shame we couldn't produce some of last week's form.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Why does Holden take so long to make changes? We kept doing the same thing (badly) over and over no hint of a tactical change until we went a goal down.

Barton seemed to work out pretty quickly that Shrewsbury was an exception rather than the rule and made an early change as it was clear we were no threat.

75% of this squad needs to be gone.
    Your final sentence probably answers the question posed in the first sentence. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Apologies to the Albie Morgan fan club, but just saw Rovers penalty again.
    Rovers number 22 has the ball out on the touchline, there's no danger, with Morgan "marking" him.
    He runs away from Morgan doing a one two, Morgan lagging behind and Dobson has to come across to pick up Morgan's man &  Dobson's handles.
  • Options
    Apologies to the Albie Morgan fan club, but just saw Rovers penalty again.
    Rovers number 22 has the ball out on the touchline, there's no danger, with Morgan "marking" him.
    He runs away from Morgan doing a one two, Morgan lagging behind and Dobson has to come across to pick up Morgan's man &  Dobson's handles.
    It was a pretty innocuous situation, and Dobbo handled the ball. Dobbo's fault entirely 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That was hopeless. The entire game felt like a real chore to get through. Campbell and Rak Sakyi were not at it, and therefore we offered little else in terms of attacking threat.

Enjoyed Bristol though. Found a nice spot by the harbour pre match for a drink and the weather was beautiful. 
  • Options
    Why oh why does Campbell never cross the ball first time…..several times today he had the clear opportunity to do so but chose to take on defenders and try to go past or check back…….I find it very frustrating.🫤🫤🫤
    Because he has been watching Rak-Sakyi.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Leuth said:
    I wasn't at this one. I was busy BEING A TRUE PATRIOT. Sorry to those who attended 

Oh Leuth, that means you missed Inniss bombing down the right wing and putting a cross in that caused a modicum of mayhem in their 6 yard box. 😀
    That was our best cross of the day.
  • Options
    Spot on imo @cabbles that is exactly how I see it. 
  • Options
    Thank God we lost.

The usual moaners would have had to find another cat to kick.
  • Options
    No midfield present today, poor performances from too many players, Rak Sakayi, Campbell, Fraser drifting around with no urgency and couldn't pass to save their lives, Morgan at his worst after such a good game last week, Dobson under par. Passing was poor to non existent. The only players worthy of a positive mention, our keeper for that save before half time, Hector, Thomas, Inniss and to a lesser degree Sessegnon. Shit performance deserving of a kick up the backside.... Rovers were poor, says it all. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Showed we haven't cracked it when a team, especially a home one, is a bit cautious. The midfield dwelled on the ball and when they did pass, especially as the game went on, there was no finess. Fraser was wandering around like an old man. Shame Kanu didn't take his chance as he needs one to go in and I think he will be away and I suspect Holden held off on the subs for too long.

Pen was a pen and Dobbo, whilst he didn't mean it, needs to understand that he must be careful where he puts his arms. He was lucky last week and that shouldn't then happen again in the next game. Ref didn't seem to understand what a foul was but this affected both sides.

A game with a lot of learnings which I suppose was the only good thing about it.