Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Ipswich Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 15th April 2023 | KO 3.00PM

Comments

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Just thought I’d point out we had Luongo on a plate and ready to sign for us but we took the piss on his wages.
    he wanted something like £5k a week.
    we offered £2k
    his agent said £5k and he’s ready to sign
    We offered £2.5k
    ipswich offered £5k
    he signed straight away.

cheers for that one Andy Scott
    You run your own business. I'm sure you understand the principle of negotiations and budgets?
  • Options
    The no dickheads rule means Innis will be gone in the summer.
    Hope that rule doesn’t include fans or I’ll be looking for a new club. Although thinking about it, that might not be a bad thing.
    🤔 Who could it be?

upthearse.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Wellred said:
    Ipswich are quality. They could easily go straight up again next season if they do they expected & get promoted from L1 this year.

I’d say they are already better than the likes of Millwall, Luton & Blackburn etc in the Championship top 6.
    I think if we played any of them 3 from the championship we would get absolutely smashed if we played  like we did today Ipswich are a good side but we made them look loads better then they are 

Yes, I’m absolutely not defending our performance. We are a bog standard mid table league one side that would get beat by pretty much every championship side + the top 6 in league one (as we’ve shown this season).

I’m just highlighting the point that Ipswich are a strong side that have invested well over the last 2 years (more than some of the championship clubs I mentioned) and that I expect them to do well in the Championship next year as a result.
  • Options
    The highlights should be titled “The parting of the Red Sea as envisioned by Charlton Athletic”.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If it’s true that bonne liked an Ipswich insta post after the match, then cancel his contract and get rid now. 

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Whilst watching the Tottenham V Bournemouth highlights, the shouty bit of that song  'It Should have been me' came to mind as Bournemouth slipped in the injury time winner. 

When you think what we have let slip, as a club, by odd ball owners who all know better than everybody else ... it makes me wanna weep, it really does.

Clubs like Charlton, Bournemouth, Brighton etc all have their moments in the sun. In time Bournemouth will be out of the Premier League again. 

Us no longer being in the Prem isn’t what hurts, it’s being out of the Championship for so long in the last decade or so. We don’t have any claim to being a permanent top flight team, but we should be in the second tier whenever we aren’t there.

Depressingly I have no faith that we’ll be getting out of the third tier next season either, it would require our recruitment over the summer to be monumentally - historically - successful, and I just can’t see that.
    More likely to reach L2 than the Championship sadly.
  • Options
    I have said this before on these pages and some may remember, but last March a group of us were lucky, (thanks to Swissdom) to have a table in the Keith Peacock suite.

After that match we cornered Martin Sandgaard about player recruitment for this season. He stated that they had money to buy players but wouldn't bankrupt the club in pursuit of promotion. 

We further enquired about the amount of players that arrive and shortly get injured or arrive with injuries. He stated that they will going forward have a robust review of anyone coming in so they wont sign players already crocked.

Think that says it all.
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Ipswich are quality. They could easily go straight up again next season if they do they expected & get promoted from L1 this year.

I’d say they are already better than the likes of Millwall, Luton & Blackburn etc in the Championship top 6.
    I think if we played any of them 3 from the championship we would get absolutely smashed if we played  like we did today Ipswich are a good side but we made them look loads better then they are 

Yes, I’m absolutely not defending our performance. We are a bog standard mid table league one side that would get beat by pretty much every championship side + the top 6 in league one (as we’ve shown this season).

I’m just highlighting the point that Ipswich are a strong side that have invested well over the last 2 years (more than some of the championship clubs I mentioned) and that I expect them to do well in the Championship next year as a result.
    Yea your right they have done well in bringing in the right players made this league look easy
    Be interesting to see how they get on having to play at a much higher pace game in game out sad thing is that result showed just how far we are off of getting out of this league 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Swisdom said:
    Just thought I’d point out we had Luongo on a plate and ready to sign for us but we took the piss on his wages.
    he wanted something like £5k a week.
    we offered £2k
    his agent said £5k and he’s ready to sign
    We offered £2.5k
    ipswich offered £5k
    he signed straight away.

cheers for that one Andy Scott
    You can only work with the budget you are given.

Failing to see how this is Scott’s fault. Try Sandgaard if you want to vent 
    TS had given it the green light as we really wanted him. Scott thought he knew best - or maybe someone else, like a prospective owner, overruled it.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    sam3110 said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Tbf I didn't watch or even listen, but can I say 'fuck off innis'?
    It sounds like Hector was responsible for about 4 goals but Inniss has somehow stolen the fanbase's anger. He's cursed 
    Hector was rubbish today.

Innis has the worst disciplinary record in the top four leagues of English football.* Double anyone else.

Red Cards

Innis - 4
    Casemiro - 2
    Kamara - 2
    Osho - 2
    Platt - 2
    Khan - 2

* Presume it is much worse than that, but can't find individual stats for National League and below. But note that no team in the National League has above four cards as an entire squad, while Innis has four to himself.
    He also had one rescinded so had that stood this would look even worse than it already does
    But it was rescinded for a reason.
    Still an appalling record though. I was one of those defending him, and I still think if he halved the number of reds he'd be worth keeping. But what are the chances of him doing that? Pretty slim.
    So instead we'll probably move him on to another L1 club and we'll probably get to watch him having his best matches of the season against us  😩
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Valley11 said:
    If it’s true that bonne liked an Ipswich insta post after the match, then cancel his contract and get rid now. 

Why? We should probably get rid for other reasons, but for liking a mate's post saying Ipswich played on a different level or something? No.
    If it said 'Charlton Pathetic' or something, than fair enough. But I doubt it did.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our new hobby...getting spanked by Ipswich away. 
  • Options
    When is the last time we lost by 6 or more?
    Leeds 6-1 instantly comes to mind, in terms of conceding that many
    Seem to remember Viduka scoring 2 or 3...can't quite recall.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Whilst watching the Tottenham V Bournemouth highlights, the shouty bit of that song  'It Should have been me' came to mind as Bournemouth slipped in the injury time winner. 

When you think what we have let slip, as a club, by odd ball owners who all know better than everybody else ... it makes me wanna weep, it really does.

Clubs like Charlton, Bournemouth, Brighton etc all have their moments in the sun. In time Bournemouth will be out of the Premier League again. 

Us no longer being in the Prem isn’t what hurts, it’s being out of the Championship for so long in the last decade or so. We don’t have any claim to being a permanent top flight team, but we should be in the second tier whenever we aren’t there.

Depressingly I have no faith that we’ll be getting out of the third tier next season either, it would require our recruitment over the summer to be monumentally - historically - successful, and I just can’t see that.
    I agree with this. I can cope with not featuring on MOTD on a Saturday night* but season after season knocking about in League 1, followed by yet more summer churn of players not up to the job and the ever rotating door of crackpot owners, is...um...a bit tiring shall we say. And there doesn't seem any prospect of this changing.

*That said, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't envious of Brentford and Brighton fans in particular at the moment. They're playing a different game to anything we look remotely capable of.

I’ve said before, I’d happily do a deal with the devil - never again play in the top flight if it means we never again have to play below the second tier. 
  • Options
    SIX BLOODY NIL!! Woke up and t'carriage clock went out of that there window.
    https://youtu.be/S9KXrRUZqtw

• Options
    Hard to see why it’s so difficult for us to find a wealthy owner who wants a London club with a spacious ground and a proud tradition to come in and achieve success. Brighton, Brentford, Bournemouth and even Palace have tinpot grounds compared to the Valley.

Someone with money is even bankrolling Millwall. Is there really nobody out there??
    The market/level of interest kinda answers that for itself. Maybe they've looked under the surface and don't like what is there. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

• Options
    Bonne is an Ipswich fan so was no doubt delighted with the result. 
  • Options
    I went to the 4-0 Ipswich game last season, I had the right hump for the whole summer, and vowed to not go again this season, and waste me dosh.

I thought we’d get battered, and obviously Ipswich are a half decent side, but 6 nil, really, why, so, so bad?

For a result like they, I wonder if some of the players had been told they were going out the door in the summer, just before kickoff.

We can’t just keep sacking managers, this show in full blown colour, that our recruitment policy (or lack of) has been an absolute disaster.