Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Milton Keynes v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 18th April 23 | Match Preview

edited April 2023 in General Charlton
Milton Keynes v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 18th April 2023 - 19:45

Live on Charlton TV worldwide

Referee
Sam Allison - previously officiated us away at Doncaster last season where we won 0-1

Introduction
After a half decent run of form where we won 6-0 at home against Shrewsbury and getting a win at home against Burton, we come back down to earth with a 6-0 thumping of our own. It could be a good thing as some people were beginning to think that this squad is potentially capable of pushing for promotion next season. Well don’t be fooled and don’t fall into that trap. The majority are not and we need a clear out. The league position of the last two seasons suggests exactly that. Now all we can do is hope those here, even if for another 3 weeks, show pride and finish the season strongly. We came up against the best side in the league who will end up getting promoted, but it was a lesson to show the gulf. It feels like all I ever do is write previews against our next opposition, we haven’t played Milton Keynes on a weekend since February 2018! So next up is another midweek fixture against the side from Buckinghamshire.

Opposition
Position: 19th
Manager: Mark Jackson
Last 6: WWDDDD

Milton Keynes form has picked up recently with 10 points from their last 6 games, just in time to start pulling themselves away from danger. It would have been even better but for a last minute equaliser for Cheltenham to make it a desmond, scored by a man who will be a target for many clubs in the summer, Alfie May.

Manager, Mark Jackson, is a rookie at first team level. A playing career in the lower leagues was followed by learning his coaching trade at Leeds United. A highly thought of coach by Bielsa led him to become Leeds U23 manager for a couple of years. Working with and developing young players is something Jackson has shown to do well, and the type of club Milton Keynes are, getting youngsters on loan from the bigger clubs and working with them is a way they’re always going to have to go. It was a tough ask coming in taking over from Liam Manning, with Milton Keynes struggling and staring down the barrel to League Two. However, he’s done well after a slow start and they look like they’ve got enough within their side to keep them up. Much of those hopes could be placed on Mo Eisa. The man from Greenwich has 9 league goals this season, and got a brace against his old side at the weekend. His pace and movement running off our defence could cause us a few problems. Keep him quiet, and they don’t have too many goal threats throughout their team. Will Grigg and Jonathan Leko only have 8 league goals between them. 

Charlton Team News
Let’s try to be positive?! We’ve got a game in a couple of days to put right the performance and result at Ipswich… Jack Payne returns for selection following his second yellow card against Burton and one game suspension against Ipswich. Todd Kane and Manny Egbo continue to step up their return following reintroductions to the team in recent weeks and games after lengthy spells on the sidelines for them both. Sean Clare will be pushing for a recall after his recent ankle injury but we are unaware of how bad that one is.

In midfield, Scott Fraser comes up against his former side and back at the Stadium MK for the first time in a Charlton shirt. The big pitch and familiar surroundings could prove beneficial, and he will expect to put in a good performance.

Mentioning the big pitch, exploiting the extra space in wide areas could see Tyreece Campbell and Rak-Sakyi cause Milton Keynes a whole host of problems. The young and exciting pair get along well off the pitch, and it's showing on it. Campbell's ever improving form has been a joy to watch, confirming he's more than capable of doing it in League One. The man on the opposite side has put himself in a wonderful position to not only win our POTY, but young player of the year in League One too. Rak-Sakyi has surpassed many expectations and although he may go through periods in games where he is quiet, he has the ability to produce moments of pure magic. He's got a bright future ahead of him. What I find nice, even if it is a pat on the back for myself, is in my previous preview against Milton Keynes back in October, Campbell had only just made his full debut against Shrewsbury a few days earlier, I said how "his pace, directness, and ability to skip passed players means he was a natural replacement for the injured Blackett-Taylor. Young Campbell showing he could be a useful option going forward this season if required" - and so it's proved. Campbell is one player I would like to sign a new long term contract, as in 12 months time, he could be a very good player for this level and important in what we hope to be a promotion campaign.

Ryan Inniss will be suspended, who knows how long for as it was his 4th of the season but one got rescinded. In comes Mitchell to the squad.

Maynard-Brewer
Kane | Hector | Thomas | Sessegnon 
Morgan | Dobson | Fraser
Rak-Sakyi | Leaburn | Campbell

Wollacott, Egbo, Mitchell, Henry, Payne, Kanu, Bonne

Milton Keynes 1-2 Charlton Athletic
Rak-Sakyi
Fraser

Comments

• Options
    Don’t worry, we gave Ipswich a leg up , we will give MK a lifeline. 
    Travelling up to MK , Holden should be cut some slack but some of the players want to take a good hard look at themselves. 
    Hopefully an away win, but want a performance from the team.
    Head says 1-1 heart says 1-2
  • Options
    I hate, hate, watching us play against MK Dons. On the whole they either pass rings around us, or in the case of the last match are seemingly able to ‘park the bus’ and then wait for us to capitulate.

Feels like they have massively underperformed this year, and as much I think this will be a tough game as they certainly have players who can hurt us.
  • Options
    Wollacott
    French Mitchell Elewere Chin
    Williams Adigun Santos
    Kanu Leaburn Ladapo 

• Options
    Changes required surely after yesterday's debacle. Perhaps Woolacott in. I would give Mitchell a start as not convinced Thomas is good enough longer term. Henry in. Why not go Kanu and Leaburn up top. Just want a little pride restored. MK need to win and I fear will do so by wanting it more. 2-0. Will be pleased to see the back of this season.
  • Options
    We will win this one 1-0 but just for the people with short memories and Holden and players take note. 
    5 days in January 2016 , one laundry basket and 11 goals against.
  • Options
    3-0 to MK Dons.
  • Options
    I have a ticket and was going to Milton Keynes for the match, but after that embarrassment yesterday I simply cannot be bothered.

Enough is enough. I have had a season ticket since the days at Selhurst Park, but I am doubtful whether I will bother renewing for.

The club and the team are a disgrace!

• Options
    We will win this one 1-0 but just for the people with short memories and Holden and players take note. 
    5 days in January 2016 , one laundry basket and 11 goals against.
    The Laundry Basket was the cup defeat at Colchester before those 2 away hammerings at Huddersfield and Hull respectively 
  • Options

Yes seen my mistake in January 2016

Roland has a lot to answer for.

What a shit month that was.
    Think you will Agree with that@shirty5.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is my first league away of the season. Looking forward to it despite the pretty terrible circumstances coming into the match!
  • Options
    The OP mentioned the size of the pitch at MK Dons,  their pitch is 105m × 68m compared to the Valley 102m × 67m not much difference 
  • Options
    Shall we go for 8?
  • Options
    Can't wait for this one.
  • Options
    Is anyone honestly bothered what happens ? I am certain the players are not.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Hope the lads with connections with MKD have an absolutely smashing time, well deserved!

4-0
  • Options
    Dean Lewington will beat us.
  • Options
    The OP mentioned the size of the pitch at MK Dons,  their pitch is 105m × 68m compared to the Valley 102m × 67m not much difference 
    Yes, slightly bigger. Our wingers have done well at The Valley and with a slightly bigger pitch, would expect them to be able to do the same at Milton Keynes. When you consider how small some of the grounds are in League One, it’s a nice change in comparison to those others to play somewhere that allows some space for players like Campbell to run into. 
  • Options
    A few of them need a rocket up their arses after Saturday. Hope they don't put  Egbo in, he's out of fitness/form. Hector I'd drop if we had a replacement but we don't. I'd like to see Fraser dropped as we can't keep carrying people in midfield who aren't up for it. One of those players I really wouldn't care if they let him go.... but on the money he earns it will be nigh on impossible to off load him. Same can be said of Kirk come to think of it. 
    I'd settle for a draw to steady the ship. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MK Dons love us .. for some reason we never do well against them.. I think is the tougher then Ipswich because you know what you up against v ipswich these teams at the bottom suddenly play like title contenders for the last 5/6 games of the season and get results .. 

see this being a good draw .. again all depends on our wide players and the games they have Saturday created very little which puts us on the back foot all the time ?

need to start positive .. and show that Saturday was just one of them freak results 

2-2 
  • Options
    absolute hats off to anyone mental enough to go to this - personally I couldn't care what happens for the rest of the season, it's over now (in reality it has been for ages!)

Holden needs to use the rest of the games to ascertain who he want's/doesn't want for next season.

will see if I can bother to turn up for the next 2 Saturdays, the weather will definitely play a part in my decision.

Seen as play at their soulless bowl a couple of time, hate it and fully expect another defeat
  • Options
    whats the parking like for this game?

its my first away game for many many years.......my son is working in Milton Keynes, so it will be great to catch up with him also
  • Options
    You can park around the ground very easily if you're not running late, this is a nice trip for us, more social than anything,(good job)  , draw at best, 1-1.
  • Options
    Ipswich 12, Shrewsbury 0
  • Options
    You would hope for some sort of positive reaction after Saturday's nightmare. So 3-0 to MK Dons.
  • Options
    Not going to this one just can't be bothered
    Sad really but that's the way this team has made me feel let's hope they find it in themselves to give it their best but I won't be holding my breath

• Options
    Our record isn't great against MKD, but this is the sort of opponent we've tended to do well against under Holden, mid to lower table "footballing" sides who try to play, as it allows Rak-Sakyi and Campbell space to attack. And I do expect a reaction too, so moderately confident about tomorrow.

I have seen some pretty awful performances against MKD. The 1-0 defeat in 2015 in the Championship under Karel Fraeye is a bad memory.
  • Options
    We’ve had a couple of 1-0 wins there in the last decade or so but, generally speaking, they’re one of our bogey teams (a bit like Oxford), who we contrive to make look a much better footballing side than they really are. That said, MK’s recent results have been good, so I’m expecting a tough game. Cambridge Utd in the last relegation place are now breathing down their neck and MK  know they really need to take 3 points from this game.

Holden’s ability to make changes after Saturday’s diabolical performance is limited by the paucity of the squad and I just hope that Leaburn and Sessegnon are fit enough to start. I’d like to take Fraser and Morgan out but Payne, Henry and Kilkenny are hardly solid replacements. I’d be happy to see Zach Mitchell given a start alongside Hector, who - along with the rest of them, needs to atone for his performance on Saturday.
  • Options
    Ipswich Town is 80-odd miles northeast of Charlton; Milton Keynes Dons is 80-odd miles northwest. I hope the result is miles better than Ipswich.