Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Immortals of English Cricket

13»

Comments

• Options
    WG Grace should be in, probably at the expense of Stokes, whose inclusion should be considered after he retires. I suspect the author wanted to include a current player to attract interest. Botham is clearly the best all rounder we have had.

WG Grace was the best player in the world in the early days, 1890-1914, also known as the Golden Age of Cricket, until Victor Trumper took over the mantle, who then eventually passed the title on to Jack Hobbs. Grace is the definition of an immortal. Everyone recognises his image. 

As an aside and for those who werent aware, Grace lived in Mottingham Hall, in Mottingham Lane, when he captained London County in the latter days of his career, (who played at Crystal Palace Park), and he is buried in Beckenham Cemetary at Elmers End. 
  • Options
    Stokes is a slightly better batsman than Botham, but Beefy has twice the number of wickets. Which isn't knocking Stokes who's a talisman for the current team AND a much better captain than Botham, but highlighting just how good Botham was. If he was a rabbit with the bat, you'd still pick him as a bowler.

Stokes
    91 tests
    5712 @ 35.92
    194 wickets @ 32.10
    95 catches

Botham
    102 tests
    5200 @ 33.54
    383 wickets @ 28.40
    120 catches
    Greig
    55 Tests
    3599 @ 40.43
    141 wickets @ 32.20
    87 catches
    But what about Derek Pringle?  ;)
    I'm sorry Pringle shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as those three unless it's in relation to the consumption of, perhaps, alcohol and er pringles
    I read Pringles book about cricket in the 80s and his part in it, whilst he didn't consider himself to be in the same universe as Botham cricket wise, they always got on well, probably due to a shared love of the high life.
    I'd put Botham ahead of Stokes overall, before he started getting back problems he was an incredibly effective bowler, he didn't mind conceding a few runs to winkle out batsmen so the figures don't tell the full story. As for the batting, they could both demolish an attack in double quick time; I'd love to see Botham play under the current setup, although how he'd take to the sports scientists and dieticians is anybody's guess.
  • Options
    Stokes is a slightly better batsman than Botham, but Beefy has twice the number of wickets. Which isn't knocking Stokes who's a talisman for the current team AND a much better captain than Botham, but highlighting just how good Botham was. If he was a rabbit with the bat, you'd still pick him as a bowler.

Stokes
    91 tests
    5712 @ 35.92
    194 wickets @ 32.10
    95 catches

Botham
    102 tests
    5200 @ 33.54
    383 wickets @ 28.40
    120 catches
    Greig
    55 Tests
    3599 @ 40.43
    141 wickets @ 32.20
    87 catches
    I'm sorry Pringle shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as those three unless it's in relation to the consumption of, perhaps, alcohol and er pringles
    I read Pringles book about cricket in the 80s and his part in it, whilst he didn't consider himself to be in the same universe as Botham cricket wise, they always got on well, probably due to a shared love of the high life.
    I'd put Botham ahead of Stokes overall, before he started getting back problems he was an incredibly effective bowler, he didn't mind conceding a few runs to winkle out batsmen so the figures don't tell the full story. As for the batting, they could both demolish an attack in double quick time; I'd love to see Botham play under the current setup, although how he'd take to the sports scientists and dieticians is anybody's guess.
    Imagine how powerful the likes of Botham and Gooch would be with modern bats!
  • Options

Stokes
    91 tests
    5712 @ 35.92
    194 wickets @ 32.10
    95 catches

Botham
    102 tests
    5200 @ 33.54
    383 wickets @ 28.40
    120 catches
    Greig
    55 Tests
    3599 @ 40.43
    141 wickets @ 32.20
    87 catches
    Boycott and Tavare too 
  • Options

Stokes
    91 tests
    5712 @ 35.92
    194 wickets @ 32.10
    95 catches

Botham
    102 tests
    5200 @ 33.54
    383 wickets @ 28.40
    120 catches
    Greig
    55 Tests
    3599 @ 40.43
    141 wickets @ 32.20
    87 catches
    Boycott and Tavare too 

Ah yes, I can now picture Boycott dancing down the track first ball to smack Michael Holding over his head for six. Before being bowled second ball trying to repeat the shot.
  • Options
    "mind the windows, Geoff!"
  • Options

Stokes
    91 tests
    5712 @ 35.92
    194 wickets @ 32.10
    95 catches

Botham
    102 tests
    5200 @ 33.54
    383 wickets @ 28.40
    120 catches
    Greig
    55 Tests
    3599 @ 40.43
    141 wickets @ 32.20
    87 catches
    Boycott and Tavare too 

Ah yes, I can now picture Boycott dancing down the track first ball to smack Michael Holding over his head for six. Before being bowled second ball trying to repeat the shot.
    When Mikey was on Sky someone asked him if anyone ever gave him the charge down the wicket treatment, he replied "Once....". I suspect the next ball, in cricket terms, was terminal.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:
    WG Grace should be in, probably at the expense of Stokes, whose inclusion should be considered after he retires. I suspect the author wanted to include a current player to attract interest. Botham is clearly the best all rounder we have had.

WG Grace was the best player in the world in the early days, 1890-1914, also known as the Golden Age of Cricket, until Victor Trumper took over the mantle, who then eventually passed the title on to Jack Hobbs. Grace is the definition of an immortal. Everyone recognises his image. 

As an aside and for those who werent aware, Grace lived in Mottingham Hall, in Mottingham Lane, when he captained London County in the latter days of his career, (who played at Crystal Palace Park), and he is buried in Beckenham Cemetary at Elmers End. 

He lived in Sydenham, Laurie Park when he led London County and moved to Mottingham after he retired from playing sometime after 1904 ..

• Options
    There will always be disagreements over an exercise of this nature.

I will just mention two things that occur to me. Firstly at least 'Deadly' gets in one of the elevens. Surrey fans and others might ask where is Jim Laker? 

Secondly John Snow makes the alternative eleven which pleases me. In my opinion he is one of if not the most underrated fast bowler England has had given the test series he was instrumental in England winning during his test career. Away against the West Indies c 1967/8 and the Ashes in Australia in 1971.