Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Port Vale | Saturday 29th April 2023 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Port Vale
Saturday 29th April 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Carl Brook

Introduction
The penultimate game of the 2022-23 season is here, not to mention the last game of the season on the once hallowed, now pretty churned up Valley turf - Port Vale the visitors down from Staffordshire, with both sides fully aware that this'll once again be a fixture in next seasons League One campaign. For Charlton it looks like we'll once again going into the summer, where matters in the boardroom are the main point of focus.

The Opposition
Name: Port Vale (18th) | Interim Manager: Andy Crosby
Ground: Vale Park
Previous League Result: Port Vale 2-0 Bristol Rovers

The true Valients must visit SE7 this coming Saturday pretty happy with how their season has gone - Most teams that get promotion via. the Play-Offs tend to struggle in the League above, they have less time than others to prepare for higher tier Football, so get the least amount of time to prepare - Vale though have had a steady season, nothing special, the only time they've won back to back games was when they faced Charlton in November, and followed that up with a 2-0 win at Plymouth - 2023 has been a difficult year though, just the four wins recorded, one on the road, means that our opponents must be glad in some ways that the season is almost over.

Looking at that form, its unsurprising that Darrell Clarke was sacked two weeks ago - Andy Crosby has stepped in as Interim Manager, and has one defeat and one win since - Crosby was of course supposed to join Nigel Adkins at Charlton as his Number two, instead he decided to join Port Vale, and so closed the door on the supporting act that he's always played... This may of course be the opportunity for Crosby to become a Manager at long last himself, especially having guided Port Vale to promotion, whilst Clarke dealt with personal matters.

Charlton Team News
Dean Holden will have a pretty decent selection of options going into the weekend, reports from the Training Ground suggest that the only absentees will be Ness, Blackett-Taylor, Aneke and Harness, whilst they each recover from their own injury issues - Ryan Inniss remains suspended after his recent red card, so you'd expect the Centre-Back pairing to remain the same.

In all fairness you'd expect much of the squad to remain the same, the Full-Backs are perhaps the most inter-changeable part of the squad at the moment, as nearly all those involved (apart from Matt Penney) recover from their own problems this season - It remains to be seen of course if Aaron Henry is given another opportunity from the start, after a disappointing appearance against Morecambe, when all is said and done... its impossible to make a full impression when given such limited game time... Karlan Grant would attest to that!!

Maynard-Brewer
Clare - Hector - Thomas - Sessegnon
Henry - Dobson - Morgan
Rak-Sakyi - Leaburn - Payne

Substitutes Bench: Wollacott - Mitchell - Egbo - Kane - Fraser - Campbell - Kanu

Comments

• Options
    Let's sign off a great season with a cheeky defeat. I'd like us to start some of the youngsters looking ahead at next season. 
  • Options
    I'm going to miss this one, I'll save all my enthusiasm for next season's promotion push.
  • Options
    Hopefully it won’t be that midfield again. If he wants to give Henry another chance then at least play Fraser over Morgan
  • Options
                   AMB

Mitchell - Hector - Thomas 

Clare - Dobson - Fraser - Sessegnon    

JRS - Leaburn - Payne 

I would like to see this. Mitchell deserves a chance and 3 at the back might fix our leaky defence 
  • Options
    Best for all if we just forget it.

• Options
    So the ref is the same bloke we had v Bolton who cost us the first goal after he was conned for the free kick .. in fact he was terrible for the the whole game .. so that’s not a good sign 

Glad PV have not named their new manager this week thing that would have made the game more difficult .. both teams gave nothing to play for .. expect us to have the edge and win 2-1 … 

like to see a few changes after last week , think Henry should get another chance in his right position it would mean resting Dobson but his last few performances have been poor . It was Dobson mistake at PV that we lost 1-0 .

Woolcott
    Clare
    Mitchell
    Hector
    Thomas

Henry
    Payne
    Fraser 

Raki
    Leaburn 
    Campbell 

• Options
    a mate offered me a spare to wimbledon v tranmere, which despite being an utterly meaningless game in the division below holds more appeal for me tomorrow. will be nice to see johnnie on the touchline anyway
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    I'd be surprised if Henry gets another start.

As pointed out to me by Brian Cowan, this should be 1-1 nailed on, after the recent run of results.

?-?
    2-3   1-0   0-6
    3-2   0-1   6-0
             1-1
  • Options
    I never want to see Henry and Payne on the pitch at the same time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thank fcuk the cricket season has started , I'm just out of knee surgery so will be watching eldest son somewhere in Southend .
    Anywhere  but Charlton, the other 3 little cnuts have been naughty so Mrs taking them down to The Valley as punishment , harsh but fair 
  • Options
    Easy to forget there's actually a game on after spending so much time on the Takeover Thread.
  • Options
    No wins in Port Vale’s last nine away league games 
  • Options
    I'd really like to see Kanu given a start alongside Leaburn. If Holden decides to give Henry another game, I agree with @NabySarr that we should play Fraser instead of Albie Morgan, to at least provide some variety in midfield.

Dobbo has to start - a midfield of Henry, Payne and Fraser would probably be one of the most lightweight ever fielded by the club. The expression 'hot knife through butter' springs to mind.
  • Options
    Hopefully a half decent game with a few goals, 3-1.
  • Options
    Another start for Henry might not be good for him. Another poor performance won't do his confidence any good. We we will see. Always want us to win but can't muster up enthusiasm for this one. What a disappointment this season has been. What a time to be supporting our great club. 2-1 us tomorrow.
  • Options
                Woollcott 
    Egbo Hector Thomas Sess
            Mitchell Dobson
      Raki                      Campbell
              Leaburn  Kanu    

I know that 4-4-2 is not fashionable, but IMO Leaburn needs some help up front and Dobbo needs help in central midfield. Mitchell has played in this role for the U21’s and looked impressive.

• Options
    roll on 5pm tomorrow when I don't have to watch us again until the 1st July
  • Options
    With all the excitement I nearly forgot this was on... going for 3-2 home win.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    shirty5 said:
    I hate those sort of stats on the preview thread, we all know how this one will end now, so not much of a lap of honour me thinks...🙄
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    I hate those sort of stats on the preview thread, we all know how this one will end now, so not much of a lap of honour me thinks...🙄
    Good job I forgot to do a similar one on Morecambe’s away league record last Friday then.

• Options
    I expect a reaction from last Saturday, and a much better performance. I also expect Henry to be benched, and the regular 3 to play. 
  • Options
    We'll mash em!  They're in for a hiding! Unleash the Bonne!   Three phrases I will not use...

Please end on a high Addicks,  then fuck off.

2-0
  • Options
    We'll mash em!  They're in for a hiding! Unleash the Bonne!   Three phrases I will not use...

Please end on a high Addicks,  then fuck off.

2-0
    Yes please put a rosy gloss n this disappointing  season by winning
  • Options
    AMB
    Egbo Hector Mitchell Sess
    Fraser Dobbo Morgan
    JR-S Leaburn Payne

2-0 win Leaburn brace 
  • Options

PS nice to take a break from the Takeover thread too tbh
  • Options
    Last home game of a dreadful season which could have been so much worse. Last chance to savour being at the Valley and supporting the team in red and white. The players are rubbish, the football has been dreadful but this is still our Charlton. Both teams on the beach, 1-1.
  • Options
    I expect a reaction from last Saturday, and a much better performance. I also expect Henry to be benched, and the regular 3 to play. 
    Last week was time for a reaction and better performance after the 6-0 at Ipswich. Not sure what the motivation is for tomorrow 
  • Options
    Last week was time for a reaction and better performance after the 6-0 at Ipswich. Not sure what the motivation is for tomorrow 
    We beat MK Dons in the first game after the Ipswich humiliation
  • Options
    Can we go Total Football ⚽

Thanks to Ted Lasso for the suggestion.

Wollacott
    Egbo - Mitchell - Hector - Sessegnon
    Dobson
    Morgan - Fraser
    Rak-Sakyi - Leaburn - Campbell