Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Port Vale | Saturday 29th April 2023 - 3pm KO

Comments

• Options
    Well a typical end of season game,but always something to take away,1)saki goal was exceptional,2)late in the game he trapped  40 yard air pass and beat his man all in one sublime movement,I this guy is going to be a top player,I wish him well and thank him lighting up some of the poxiest days we have seen at the valley in years.
    He really is some prospect...
  • Options
    When JRS controlled the ball, turned and ran into space in the area , everyone KNEW the ball would end up in the back of the net . 
    What was the defender thinking?
    He hardly busted a gut to get to the ball and then let JRS cut inside on his favoured foot. Shocking defending by any standard. 
  • Options
    When JRS controlled the ball, turned and ran into space in the area , everyone KNEW the ball would end up in the back of the net . 
    What was the defender thinking?
    He hardly busted a gut to get to the ball and then let JRS cut inside on his favoured foot. Shocking defending by any standard. 
    L1 defending 
  • Options
    I know we will be loosing important players at the end of the season such Saki, but this game showed where the major rebuild is required and that is in defense, we need reliable defenders,
    Even AMB has shown fragility so hope we can keep Wollacot.
    I was not happy last August about the defense as I thought preseason showed up the weakness
    we have.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    I know we will be loosing important players at the end of the season such Saki, but this game showed where the major rebuild is required and that is in defense, we need reliable defenders,
    Even AMB has shown fragility so hope we can keep Wollacot.
    I was not happy last August about the defense as I thought preseason showed up the weakness
    we have.

Agreed, our defence has been a liability since the end of the Bowyer days.

It's no surprise that the 6 teams with the best defensive records this season occupy the top 6 league positions.
  • Options
    While the defence is poor our midfield does not help and also needs a rebuild
  • Options
    Very good game considering nothing in it Vale had some good little players but that was their problem they were a small side and like a lot of teams rely on set plays and don’t look dangerous enough from open play .

we controlled first half Fraser outstanding running mid .. Hector and Thomas strong  at the back and a good goal from Campbell following a defensive mistake . .. Second half , Raki who was having a quite game suddenly come to life and goal .. but another mistake from AMB and it was 2-1 another who was having a poor game Leaburn grabbed the third and the ref summed up his handling of the game giving a shocking pen , not sure how Thomas could get out the way .. he was terrible the whole game …. good 3 points and a win at home , I think that’s 3 defeats in last 11 

Every week you blame things on the ref. Todays ref was slap bang average. The penalty incident happened very quickly and I didn't get a good look, but our players didn't argue. That to me suggests that it was a pen 
  • Options
    I thought AMB had a good game apart from his moment of madness at the corner. He needs to continue working on his distribution.

Happy to have him or Woolacott as our No1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought we were a little lucky to win that and wouldn't have done without JRS. Second half we had very little control of the game 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Decided at the last minute to go. It was a typical end of season game with nothing to play for, but it was brought to life by Campbell  and JRS.
    JRS is going to be some player, and I envy the nights getting home back, his goal was sublime and as previously mentioned the control when he took that ball out of the air with one touch and then left the defender for dead, superb!
    Sadly will not see him in a Charlton shirt again at The Valley, 14 goals we are going to struggle to replace.
    However thank fuck the home season is done, now let's get the takeover done as well,  we bloody need it!
  • Options
    Decided at the last minute to go. It was a typical end of season game with nothing to play for, but it was brought to life by Campbell  and JRS.
    JRS is going to be some player, and I envy the nights getting home back, his goal was sublime and as previously mentioned the control when he took that ball out of the air with one touch and then left the defender for dead, superb!
    Sadly will not see him in a Charlton shirt again at The Valley, 14 goals we are going to struggle to replace.
    However thank fuck the home season is done, now let's get the takeover done as well,  we bloody need it!
    What?
  • Options
    What?
    Yeah, me too!
  • Options
    Think RM meant ‘Nigels getting him back’ 😉
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Very good game considering nothing in it Vale had some good little players but that was their problem they were a small side and like a lot of teams rely on set plays and don’t look dangerous enough from open play .

we controlled first half Fraser outstanding running mid .. Hector and Thomas strong  at the back and a good goal from Campbell following a defensive mistake . .. Second half , Raki who was having a quite game suddenly come to life and goal .. but another mistake from AMB and it was 2-1 another who was having a poor game Leaburn grabbed the third and the ref summed up his handling of the game giving a shocking pen , not sure how Thomas could get out the way .. he was terrible the whole game …. good 3 points and a win at home , I think that’s 3 defeats in last 11 

Every week you blame things on the ref. Todays ref was slap bang average. The penalty incident happened very quickly and I didn't get a good look, but our players didn't argue. That to me suggests that it was a pen 
    My thought was it was the last kick of the game and we were two ahead already so no real reason to argue. Didn't get a great look either but first thought was it was soft. 
  • Options
    JRS deserves a decent reception when he returns to the Valley. Will miss having a player that quickens the pulse when he gets the ball. A lively player to watch. Wish him all the best and hope he makes it in the prem, hopefully not with Palace.
    Unless something fairly spectacular happens on the takeover front, I very much doubt we will ever see  Rak-Sakyi back at the Valley.
  • Options
    JRS deserves a decent reception when he returns to the Valley. Will miss having a player that quickens the pulse when he gets the ball. A lively player to watch. Wish him all the best and hope he makes it in the prem, hopefully not with Palace.
    Unless something fairly spectacular happens on the takeover front, I very much doubt we will ever see  Rak-Sakyi back at the Valley.
    Unless he comes to the next Sidemen match.
  • Options
    Quite enjoyed the game. 3 good goals from us. Let's hope we can strengthen in the summer and sort out our set piece defending. Front 3 the highlights, and Dobson worked really hard again.
  • Options
    Like anybody gives a fecking shit……
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My thought was it was the last kick of the game and we were two ahead already so no real reason to argue. Didn't get a great look either but first thought was it was soft. 
    Around the time the pen was being awarded MK let in a goal & therefore dropped 2 points, meaning PV were safe. If MK had held out for a win GD could have proved pivotal next Sunday - Cambridge have a game in hand at were only 5 goals worse off.

Every.single.goal.matters. 

• Options
    Which badge? Castore?
  • Options

My son drove us up today and we parked in Cemetary lane.

There is a time limit on parking in this stretch of road and tickets have been issued in the past.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Due to work and family commitments on Saturdays I don’t get down to the Valley as much as I would like. Nice to take my eldest daughter and try to keep that Charlton flame burning with my children. Sat in the north upper with my old man brothers and nephews and tbh it was better than I thought it would be. Don’t get me wrong we are million miles off challenging for a promotion push with this current squad and with the off the pitch crap still going on building a promotion winning team for next season is looking bleak to say the least.

I’ll still go (when I can) as I have some done since the early 80’s but it’s just so depressing to see how much it’s like Groundhog Day watching us.

• Options
    Good that we won our last home game given us some sort happy finish
     let's just get Sunday out of the way then we can put this season behind us thank f#ck