Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Port Vale | Saturday 29th April 2023 - 3pm KO

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Math isn't my strong point. Can we still make playoffs?
    Maybe…next season 🤔
  • Options
    Amazing a dead rubber game could be so enjoyable but had a cracking day yesterday, probably my favourite home bar the Brighton win. Certainly helps when the sun shines.

Thought it was a fantastic crowd all things considered.

We’ll really miss Rak Sakyi next season, but excited to see Leaburn, Campbell, Ness and Mitchell hopefully build a core and continue to improve 
    Someone's still drunk ...
  • Options
    there were moments in the game that were enjoyable.... but nothing matches the enthusiasm that the `Upbeats" brought to my cynical heart. Thank you.
  • Options

We’ll really miss Rak Sakyi next season, but excited to see Leaburn, Campbell, Ness and Mitchell hopefully build a core and continue to improve 
    I wouldn't bet on them all being here too long unless tommy pulls his finger out and sells us, and then it's a matter of how skint the next lot are. I fear that we're just going to be seen as a club that produces decent talent, then sells them off to finance clinging on to our L1 status.  :(  
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

My son drove us up today and we parked in Cemetary lane.

There is a time limit on parking in this stretch of road and tickets have been issued in the past.
    Yeh, we hadn't seen a single space in the surrounding roads so we ummed and ahhed and decided to take a chance.
    I told my son I would go halves with the fine!
    I don't remember a parking restriction there before, but then it's been a while.
    We were lucky this time but we will have to find somewhere else to park if we drive up again
  • Options
    Just to add, brilliant turn out by their fans.
    I had them marked down as a nothing club, didn't realise they were that well supported
    Kin ell 996 …. we tug off with 700+ at mk dons 
  • Options
    Just to add, brilliant turn out by their fans.
    I had them marked down as a nothing club, didn't realise they were that well supported
    It was great for them that MKD drawing meant that they were mathematically safe, and could celebrate afterwards, even though they lost!
  • Options
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/fulham-loanee-got-plenty-of-stick-for-reason-he-came-off-in-charltons-victory-over-port-vale/

With Clare playing with an ankle issue, a bit strange that we didn't start either Egbo or Kane.
  • Options
    Was delighted to see Rak Sakyi sign off his season long loan at the Valley in such style, will follow his career with fondness. Love Leaburn and was so pleased to see him get another goal 17 starting apps 12 goals is what the headline stats tell us (appreciate a few more subs) and Campbell is a very exciting and direct talent who will only get better. Overall an entertaining game and with a live bet with my mate who is a Lincoln fan as to who will finish higher (never thought it would come to the last effing game…) was more satisfied than most I suspect. 

I feel better at the end of this season than last, which kind of feels odd, but must be the more extreme wins, draws and ‘shock’ results (wins vs Plymouth, Derby etc). 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ashamed to admit, that's the third fixture on a row that I haven't attended, bought the stream or followed the match thread. 

That makes this season unique for me and I suspect for many others. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Hard to get too excited yesterday, but good to see the front three scoring. TC has really come on this season, and Miles looked sharp yesterday when he got the ball, especially in the second half. Doesn’t see enough of the ball though. 
    JRS left us with a farewell present. We’ll miss him. 
    Our only hope for next season is a miraculous takeover, and a consequent generous and ambitious new owner coming in and transforming the club into something we’d all be proud of. 
    Call me cynical, but I won’t be holding my breath. 

• Options
    Is there a video anywhere of DH speaking to the crowd after the game, or didn't he bother?
  • Options
    Campbell has made the jump too which is a positive.
  • Options
    Is there a video anywhere of DH speaking to the crowd after the game, or didn't he bother?
    Yes, about six minutes long on the OS. I am on my phone so cannot bring it on here. I think he gets the final score wrong
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    The game wasn't great, but had some good stuff in it, really impressed with Campbell, who I thought was the star man of the day, endless enthusiasm matched with plenty of skill had them chasing shadows all afternoon down the left, if only his teammates had half of that, they might actually make an effort to keep up and help give him a target for a pass or cross, so many wasted chances...
    Leaburn looked like he just wasn't interested, clearly had his head turned, I know he scored, a tap in that would have been harder to miss, I'm not anti him at all, but frustrating to watch sometimes, Dobson was everywhere as usual.
    Last game next week, and boy do we all need the break...👍
  • Options
    Addicks to Victory getting it’s final airing, perhaps ever?
    Final airing at the Valley, unless it got inflicted on the Women's team today, but presumably it'll get used in the run-up to the pre-show next week.
    @Davo55, you've got an unfortunate typo there that would be incredibly confusing  if you hadn't added the bit in brackets :)
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Final airing at the Valley, unless it got inflicted on the Women's team today, but presumably it'll get used in the run-up to the pre-show next week.
    @Davo55, you've got an unfortunate typo there that would be incredibly confusing  if you hadn't added the bit in brackets :)
    Indeed 😀
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    aliwibble said:
    Amended. Thanks Ali. :smile:
  • Options
    Probably in the small print of any takeover... ;)
  • Options
    The game wasn't great, but had some good stuff in it, really impressed with Campbell, who I thought was the star man of the day, endless enthusiasm matched with plenty of skill had them chasing shadows all afternoon down the left, if only his teammates had half of that, they might actually make an effort to keep up and help give him a target for a pass or cross, so many wasted chances...
    Leaburn looked like he just wasn't interested, clearly had his head turned, I know he scored, a tap in that would have been harder to miss, I'm not anti him at all, but frustrating to watch sometimes, Dobson was everywhere as usual.
    Don’t think that’s fair. Goalie and at least one defender to beat. And he steered the ball away from where the goalie was diving. I thought he picked it up a bit in the second half, but arguably doesn’t get the ball enough. He’s still learning, so doesn’t always make the right runs perhaps. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    Don’t think that’s fair. Goalie and at least one defender to beat. And he steered the ball away from where the goalie was diving. I thought he picked it up a bit in the second half, but arguably doesn’t get the ball enough. He’s still learning, so doesn’t always make the right runs perhaps. 
    Believe me, I really like the lad, and think he has a lot of talent and would love him to succeed, with us preferably, but he does lack pace and get's shaken off the ball a bit too easy it seems, agree still learning, and lets hope all goes well.
    He did take his goal well, but it was just a tap in...wasn't it🤷‍♂️

Edit:.. Just watched the highlights, and was better than I thought, looked different from the AC stand...so fair play on that one JS
  • Options
    A low quality game, punctuated by some excellent play from Tyreece Campbell and JRS, both of whom deservedly got on the scoresheet. I thought that Tyreece was excellent throughout, with his pace, directness and trickery. Jes was pretty quiet for most of the game - save for one marvellous crossfield ball in the first half - but two later moments of class with his goal and assist saw us over the line. How we replace his 15 goals is anyone's guess.

Dobbo was back on form and did his usual impression of a one-man midfield - just as well, given the poor performances of Morgan and Fraser. The latter particularly irritated me with his lackadaisical attitude throughout. He put in one quality low cross in the first half but that was it and the man is a complete passenger when the opposition have the ball. I'm not looking forward to a further two years of that.

Still, a win and three goals on a beautiful, sunny day was a most acceptable way to sign off the season at The Valley and we've certainly had many worse days. We can but hope that we can hang on to Dobbo, as well as our very promising youngsters like Leaburn, Ness, Maynard-Brewer and Campbell, all of whom could play an important role next season. The same will hopefully apply to Mitchell and Kanu, although we are going to need to add several seasoned pros if we're to have any chance of mounting a top six challenge. Sadly, the chances of that happening are looking increasingly slim at present.
  • Options
    What we are seeing with Leaburn is a lad who is still growing into his body. When he does, he is going to be something really special. He has a lot of skill but he is 6ft 5 to go with it. Put a bit of muscle on and nobody at this level will be living with him IMO.
  • Options
    I said to someone yesterday, that if you crossed Miles with Carl you'd have the perfect striker, as at the moment the one thing he can't do as well is play the target man role. That's something he'll improve on as he gets older and stronger.
  • Options
    Yeah, not a great deal to add. Fell a sleep after our first and kept stirring throughout the first half, which, would be fine if I was 78 and not 35. Now ,I'm not saying the football sent me to sleep but, it certainly didn't keep me awake...

Fraser must have been suffering from the same thing seeing as he was largely anonymous. Morgan was Morgan. Dobson Dobson and sessengon aneke. 

Meh, we won, that's about all really.
  • Options
    I said to someone yesterday, that if you crossed Miles with Carl you'd have the perfect striker, as at the moment the one thing he can't do as well is play the target man role. That's something he'll improve on as he gets older and stronger.
    Miles will build up his muscle and get stronger. We have to remember his age and the type of player he will be. That will make a massive difference and it is why Premier League clubs are watching him.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    Believe me, I really like the lad, and think he has a lot of talent and would love him to succeed, with us preferably, but he does lack pace and get's shaken off the ball a bit too easy it seems, agree still learning, and lets hope all goes well.
    He did take his goal well, but it was just a tap in...wasn't it🤷‍♂️

Edit:.. Just watched the highlights, and was better than I thought, looked different from the AC stand...so fair play on that one JS
    It’s not often I’m right, but was right behind the goal, so had a good view. 👍