Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dogs at Football

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Wasn't a support dog. Was a small Pekinese type dog which she appeared to hold the whole time. 
    Must have stuffed it in her handbag at the turnstile.
    It belonged to an Upbeats family, the dog was spotted on cctv and the owner was told it stays on your lap on a lead.
    A good decision made by the club and one that didn’t involve the SMT 😉

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Would have the right hump having a dog next to me 
    I'll second that. Whatever next? A dog in the cinema? In restaurants?

If it wasn't a support dog then how the hell was it allowed in?
    Dogs can and do frequent both of these places. As a dog owner of 2 Dachshunds with separation anxiety, having dog friendly businesses is essential to my way of life.

Dogs are allowed at non League football, if they are well behaved and are on the lead, why shouldn't they be allowed to league football too?

You're a dog owner so I'd expect you to say that.

Many people don't own dogs. Do you never wonder why that may be?

Because they’re grumpy like you?
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Off_it said:
    sam3110 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    sam3110 said:
    MrOneLung said:

Dogs can and do frequent both of these places. As a dog owner of 2 Dachshunds with separation anxiety, having dog friendly businesses is essential to my way of life.

Dogs are allowed at non League football, if they are well behaved and are on the lead, why shouldn't they be allowed to league football too?
    Who decides if they are ‘well behaved’ ?
    is there a form they have to fill out?

what about the safety aspect of trying to evacuate the stadium whilst trying to avoid tripping over a dog around your feet. 

What about the already small leg room?

does the dog’s separation anxiety trump the person in the next seats nearness anxiety? 
    Would much rather sit next to a person with a dog than a coked up wazzock from Dartford

The exact same points can be said of children, we let them into the stadiums, isn't that a tripping risk? 
    I like dogs.

But one thing that never ceases to amaze me is people - dog owners - who compare having dogs to having children.  Normally the people doing it don't actually have any children themselves.
    That’s true, my dog fulfils many roles, one of which is probably the son I don’t have.

However, he is a dog 🐕 and not an accessory or baby as in the way some people treat their dogs, that really does get my 🐐!
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    sam3110 said:
    MrOneLung said:

what about the safety aspect of trying to evacuate the stadium whilst trying to avoid tripping over a dog around your feet. 

does the dog’s separation anxiety trump the person in the next seats nearness anxiety? 
    Would much rather sit next to a person with a dog than a coked up wazzock from Dartford

The exact same points can be said of children, we let them into the stadiums, isn't that a tripping risk? 
    If that's the only choice I'd prefer the bloke from Dartford as he's less likely to bite me or have a piss or shit next to me.
  • Options
    I’ve already told Mick “see you at the first home game of the season” 😉

• Options
    Do dogs count in the attendance figures?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    'comfort dogs' or guide dogs only .. and why not camels or elephants or crocodiles ?
  • Options
    'comfort dogs' or guide dogs only .. and why not camels or elephants or crocodiles ?
    Bloody good idea, Lincs, scare off the opposition.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    sam3110 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    sam3110 said:
    MrOneLung said:

I like dogs.

But one thing that never ceases to amaze me is people - dog owners - who compare having dogs to having children.  Normally the people doing it don't actually have any children themselves.
    That’s true, my dog fulfils many roles, one of which is probably the son I don’t have.

However, he is a dog 🐕 and not an accessory or baby as in the way some people treat their dogs, that really does get my 🐐!

I will find it difficult to choose which one of mine to bring tbh 🤷‍♀️
    Which one of those is Lionel Messi?
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Was the dog a cockapoo and intended as a message to the owner?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    sam3110 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    sam3110 said:
    MrOneLung said:

I like dogs.

I will find it difficult to choose which one of mine to bring tbh 🤷‍♀️
    Which one of those is Lionel Messi?
    They’re all pretty ‘messi’ tbh 🫣😩🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    I think dogs add to the quality of our lives. That said, they have their place. A football ground is not that place, for so many reasons.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I think the people who accuse those who don’t like dogs of being strange or an arsehole are actually the wronguns. 
    I think it's difficult for people who have spent a lot of time with dogs to understand why people don't like them. Having grown up in a family that ran a Greyhound rescue, I can honestly look back decades and not remember a single dog that any of us had good reason to dislike. I do think it's significant that most of the dogs in shelters here are pitbulls though, not as trustworthy or trainable as most breeds I suppose.
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    I think dogs add to the quality of our lives. That said, they have their place. A football ground is not that place, for so many reasons.

Admittedly it is at non-league games on my travels, and we are talking 200 fans at most a lot of the time, but you often see dogs at the game.  At that level, why not?
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    My dog Bertie hates football, always goes and sits in the garden when its on telly. 
    sam3110 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    sam3110 said:
    MrOneLung said:

Not a fair comparison.

1. Dogs will inevitably shit and wee in the aisles.
    2. Many people have allergies to dogs. https://www.yorktest.com/blog/dog-allergies/
    https://www.anaphylaxis.org.uk/fact-sheet/allergy-to-animals/
    3. Many people are afraid of dogs because
    a. They bite and attack people sometimes to the point of death 
    b. They climb on and generally irritate people

A dog owner may argue that their dog doesn't do these things but they do happen. As a member of the public you do not know which dogs to trust. It's hard enough to trust a person you don't know so why would you take their word that the potential threat of their dog is safe?

I know that @LargeAddick (who owns two small dogs) meant well by this idea but it has to be an absolute no-goer for health and safety reasons if nothing else.

If my point of view leads to any dog owner again calling me an arsehole on this thread then I think that will again validate my distrust.
    I didn’t seriously suggest it as an idea. In fact I think it would be absurd. I just pointed out that someone had brought in their dog and jokingly asked if it would catch on. I only commented because it was obviously not an assistance dog or therapy dog etc and I’m perplexed as to why it was taken in and why the club allowed it.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Do I think they should be allowed in the ground? 
    Other than assistance dogs, no I don’t!
    If they were would I take mine in?
    No, I wouldn’t!
    But to blame dogs in any behaviour is also wrong, 99.9% of issues lie at the other end of the lead.
    We put dogs in a situation/place then they get the blame when it goes tits up. 
    Saying that if there’s a seat empty next to Keohane I’m taking my three in next season, Bow knows I don’t like him 😂

If we ever get to play the spanners again I'd allow dogs in for the day, pit bulls and mastiffs only, then let them off the leads directed to the away end.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Do I think they should be allowed in the ground? 
    Other than assistance dogs, no I don’t!
    If they were would I take mine in?
    No, I wouldn’t!
    But to blame dogs in any behaviour is also wrong, 99.9% of issues lie at the other end of the lead.
    We put dogs in a situation/place then they get the blame when it goes tits up. 
    Saying that if there’s a seat empty next to Keohane I’m taking my three in next season, Bow knows I don’t like him 😂
    Well said mate.