Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite sports presenter

13»

Comments

• Options
    Neil Reynolds sky’s NFL presenter
  • Options
    For those missing their James Richardson fix, check out his Totally Football Show podcast (if you haven't already).
  • Options
    presenter would have to be James Richardson 

sitting outside a cafe with a half eaten ice cream and a mug of coffee holding up the pink italian sports paper whilst a waiter serves some people in the background. Magical period for TV sport. Plus having the late great Peter Brackley as commentator. 
    Is the correct answer. Absolute legend.
  • Options
    Minto!
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    I know I’m in a minority but I always found James Richardson to be quite smug. Part of that group of hipster journalists who often report on European matters and present themselves as having bit of an air of self importance about them. No surprise to find them writing in The Guardian a lot of the time. 

He openly states that he will support countries that face England at football too, which always seems to be portrayed among those who are just trying to go against the mainstream a bit too deliberately for my liking. 

I can’t quite put my finger on why I struggle to take to those types, especially as i enjoy learning about the non mainstream parts of the game. Just feels a little bit forced when you know full well they are going to go into anti England mode when the time comes around, because they know it will appeal to a certain crowd.
  • Options
    I didnt know about the anti England thing. What’s that all about?
  • Options
    I'd much prefer to listen to Alan Brazil or Adrian Durham over the very attractive Laura Woods.
    Both of them can take stick and can take their teams getting stick, unlike Woods.  Ally McCoist saves the breakfast show on Talk Sport.

Gaby Logan is always good.  So is Lineker.  Jenas makes a better presenter/pundit than he ever did as a centre-mid for Spurs.  The lad has done well.  Kate Abdo does a great job on US tv.

The worst/least favourite - Gabby Agbonlahor.  Thickest bloke on the planet.  You lot love him and rightly so for how he played for you but christ, Darren Bent and Andy Goldstein have killed Drive Time.  Cant stand Jamie Redknapp.  
  • Options
    Agree, Goldstein and Benty are a good combo. 

Not sure why but didn’t think Bent would be a good media man. 
  • Options
    I think Jenas is absolute sh*te. Never actually adds anything. Just has a very good agent. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That doesn't look like agreement to me lol
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I think you're using the modern day, down with the kids meaning of 'killed', rather than the proper meaning of the word killed.
    I meant it in the way of along the lines of 'in need of resuscitation' :smile:

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Presenters are one thing, commentators another, but ‘pundits’?
    I don’t understand the elevation of ex players into a position labelled ‘pundit’. Have a supporter of each team who play saying stuff about the game, from the heart, not some boring has been.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    He discussed it on the Football Cliches podcast a while back.

From memory, I think it’s just a case where he feels the need to support anyone playing against England just as a reaction to our mainstream media who are too pro-England for his liking.

I used to listen to the Guardian Weekly podcast about a decade ago, and remember he would always be quite quick to make a jokes about England’s failures whenever they went out of a tournament. 
  • Options
    I am surprised Clare Balding hasn't been mentioned. Ed Chamberlain very good, Jeff Stelling a consumate professional. I like Nick Dougherty .

• Options
    lolwray said:
    I am surprised Clare Balding hasn't been mentioned. Ed Chamberlain very good, Jeff Stelling a consumate professional. I like Nick Dougherty .

Balding is insufferable.

As for the James Richardson "anti-England" stuff, I've always taken it as his dry wit rather than true cynicism. His background with the circus of corruption in Serie A probably means he takes a lot of English melodrama with a large pinch of salt.
  • Options
    There are a few.  Colin Murray, although very excitable, is very knowledgeable. Gary Lineker is annoyingly good.

Laura Woods is one of the best in my opinion. Nothing to do with her looks (although that's bonus), she's just a very good presenter. 

Hazel Irvine on Snooker & Jackie Oakley on darts are both very good. 

I cannot stand Alex Scott, I think she's dreadful. 
    I forgot to mention Gabby Logan. She's very good too
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    MrOneLung said:

I think you're using the modern day, down with the kids meaning of 'killed', rather than the proper meaning of the word killed.
    I meant it in the way of along the lines of 'in need of resuscitation' :smile:

ooops - well I quite like them but only hear it for last 30 mins a day
  • Options
    lolwray said:

Balding is insufferable.

As for the James Richardson "anti-England" stuff, I've always taken it as his dry wit rather than true cynicism. His background with the circus of corruption in Serie A probably means he takes a lot of English melodrama with a large pinch of salt.
    I agree. I think she's probably the perfect example of someone who would be alright having a minor role in the one sport she knows about, but has somehow managed to get her finger into every pie. She's consequently bringing nothing to the party except her smug look and an air of unnecessary sternness. Why do the BBC see her has the go to person for all of the unpopular sports? It's baffling.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    lolwray said:

Balding is insufferable.

I agree. I think she's probably the perfect example of someone who would be alright having a minor role in the one sport she knows about, but has somehow managed to get her finger into every pie. She's consequently bringing nothing to the party except her smug look and an air of unnecessary sternness. Why do the BBC see her has the go to person for all of the unpopular sports? It's baffling.
    I wouldn't say its baffling at all.  I point you in the direction of the BBCs Equality, Diversion and Inclusion policy quota.
  • Options
    She had a good London Olympics but then we became over saturated with her presenting everything for a while
  • Options
    Stig said:
    lolwray said:

Balding is insufferable.

Totally agree 
  • Options
    cafctom said:

From memory, I think it’s just a case where he feels the need to support anyone playing against England just as a reaction to our mainstream media who are too pro-England for his liking.

I used to listen to the Guardian Weekly podcast about a decade ago, and remember he would always be quite quick to make a jokes about England’s failures whenever they went out of a tournament. 
    I always find the pro-England media stance a strange one. Yes they go OTT during a tournament when we win a couple of games but they’re the first to try and fuck any pre tournament preparation over with sensationalist stories and berating of managers. Probably evens itself out.
  • Options
    Roger Mellie

• Options
    cafctom said:

I always find the pro-England media stance a strange one. Yes they go OTT during a tournament when we win a couple of games but they’re the first to try and fuck any pre tournament preparation over with sensationalist stories and berating of managers. Probably evens itself out.
    Absolutely. Infact I find it quite confusing when people outside of England talk about our country as being over-confident.

Many people seem to want to do the complete opposite and discredit the team and its achievements wherever possible.  

Where the 'anti-England' pundit thing comes in is where I think they associate the England support with some sort of nationalism, and therefore will always lean the opposite direction.