Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Academy Prospects Lost

How many of our Academy players do not sign their first pro contract with us?
I vaguely remember a young forward being allegedly poached by Man U whatever happened to him?
Sarmiento buzzed off to Portugal and was then sold to Brighton. 
Another lad moved to Man City. 
Kasey Palmer went to Chelski. 
  I'm aware that we get Compo but it is chickenfeed compared to their real value. 

Comments

• Options
    Sean McGinty was the United one.  Playing up in Scotland now.
  • Options
    Largie Ramazani was the striker , now playing for Almeria in La Liga 
  • Options
    Largie Ramazani Was poached/taken from us as a 16yr old, i think he played a Europa game for them and now plays in Spain with Almeria.
  • Options
    McGinty was a centre half. This was a forward 
  • Options
    It's just the football food chain, we take players off Maidstone or whoever, PL teams take kids off us etc etc.
  • Options
    Largie Ramazani is the forward who went to Man Utd. Sean McGinty went there too and is a CB.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largie_Ramazani

Ryan Huddart was a goalkeeper who left for Arsenal at around u16. Dropped into non-league.

Terrell Agyemang went to Man City last summer, but he had been pro for a year and we released him.

Similar happened with Semi Ajayi, turned pro, think we only offered a further 6 months which he rejected before having a trial with Arsenal and signing for them.

We made the same mistake with Jordan Zemura, released him after time as a young pro. Went to Bournemouth, played internationally for Zimbabwe and is signing for Udinese this summer.
  • Options
    McGinty was a centre half. This was a forward 
    Ah didn't see the forward bit!!
  • Options
    Beadle? 
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Sarmiento went to Benfica. Now at Brighton *Sorry seen you already put that!*
  • Options
    Defoe if we are going back down memory lane
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Beadle? 
    Think Beadle was sold. 
  • Options
    Are we sweating on any youngsters signing at the moment? 
  • Options
    Terrell Agyemang is the lad @ Man City

Zemura we released he went to Bournemouth, and is going to Udinese in the summer.

Josh Wright (can you include him), got fed up with his limited opportunities and buggered off for a life in League One
  • Options
    Ramazani is now valued at £9m according to Transfermarkt....I wonder how much of that is as a result of him having Man Utd on his cv

3 goals in 29 in La Liga is hardly outrageous stuff is it
  • Options
    J Lloyd Samuel was another. 
  • Options
    Semi Ajayi
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Ramazani is now valued at £9m according to Transfermarkt....I wonder how much of that is as a result of him having Man Utd on his cv

Bonne is valued at £500k on there, so pinch of salt and all that!
  • Options
    Michael Turner going back a while.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Semi Ajayi

Semi Ajayi was part of a very good U21 team under the wee man Natham Jones.
    As Scoham mentions above he was only offered a six month contract which was crass as there were plenty of scouts watching him and many others in that side.
    Michael Smith, Joe Piggott, Poyet, Holmes- Dennis, Nick Pope etc.
    In fact other than Bradley Jordan the captain and the Irish CB who went back to Ireland to play Hurling most of that squad had football careers in the pro game.

Tough business getting a Pro contract. In more recent years Beadle was on Brighton's radar for a couple of years and was no surprise when he went to the south coast.

Edit: Hurling not Curling !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Martin Hicks going back even further. Became a Reading legend.
  • Options
    My son was in the same group as him at Swanley Comp CAFC advanced school, Woodyard also in among that cohort. 
    Sean was a real prospect, but got his head turned at Man U
  • Options
    If we are going back in time. What about Richard Gough?
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    If we are going back in time. What about Richard Gough?
    His Dad, Charlie, played a few first team matches for us c 1965.
  • Options
    No way! Surely not? What a Judas!
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

are people really taking that site seriously?
  • Options
    I think there are probably loads who move in at younger ages but moving at 17 when we offer a contract and they refuse are the ones you hear about.  Pretty much all mentioned above that I know of:

- Defoe to West Ham
    - JLS to Villa
    - Some lad who's name escapes me to Spurs (never made it)
    - Huddart to Arsenal
    - Ajayi to Arsenal (but as said above we only offered 6m as we were skint and signed the Irish lad who is now a pro hurler instead)
    - Beadle to Brighton
    - McGinty to Man Utd
    - Sarmiento to Portugal?
    - Palmer went to Chelsea
    - Ramazani went to Man Utd but I think we had "poached" him only 2yrs before anyway

Likes of zemura, Gough, Agymang I am not sure if we ever offered contracts so maybe our mistakes.

• Options
    One who went on to greater things was Jordan Ibe, we let him go when he was 12.

Pretty sure Richard Gough got homesick and went back to South Africa, before coming back and making his name at Dundee Utd. 

• Options
    Bradley Dack we let go at 14 
  • Options
    Bradley Dack we let go at 14 
    And he fucking hates us for it  :D