Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Everyday things from back in the day that seem really weird now

Comments

• Options
    When I was a kid, the older peoples word for a woman's breasts was "Charlies" Not boobs; not tits; "Charlies". No idea where that came from (kind of rhyming slang?) or whether that word is still used in some places these days.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    When I was a kid, the older peoples word for a woman's breasts was "Charlies" Not boobs; not tits; "Charlies". No idea where that came from (kind of rhyming slang?) or whether that word is still used in some places these days.
    And Bristols. Bristol Cities?
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    fadgadget said:
    White Dog Poo
    Yeh, something to do with what they put in the dog food in those days, I assume bone meal.  Like most things today we over indulge.  Not that I have done much dog crap surveying you understand...

My grandad would kill for green shield stamps...  Seems pretty weird now.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Something to do with Charles II who was known for having a lot of Totty
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Baps
    Lils
    Thrups 

even writing these is clearly inappropriate in this day and age - I apologise for anyone offended...
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Baps
    Lils
    Thrups 

even writing these is clearly inappropriate in this day and age - I apologise for anyone offended...
    I have never ever met anyone offended by any words outside of the internet. 
  • Options
    Does nitty Nora still visit schools with her steel comb and disinfectant to go through children’s hair looking for nits? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solidgone said:
    Does nitty Nora still visit schools with her steel comb and disinfectant to go through children’s hair looking for nits? 
    Remember this , also the BCG Injection in secondary school
  • Options
    Having used a cafe in Charlton Village afew years ago,was surprised that cafe owner hadn’t heard the term Two Dog Rolls for sometime .
  • Options
    Just thought of a blinder.  Your nans and grandads answering the phone with their number!  
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Just thought of a blinder.  Your nans and grandads answering the phone with their number!  
    My mother in law still does lol
    But with the original number where you mention the exchange venue first.
  • Options
    Lol doesn’t make sense they know the number they just rang it!
  • Options
    Lol doesn’t make sense they know the number they just rang it!
    I know! 🤣🤣

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Mine didn’t have a telephone .

Houses without phones , no hot water and outside toilets. 

some house had no electricity in Charlton but had gas.

Last street lights I believe that run on gas turned off about 1975. Harvey Gardens.
  • Options
    Borrowing random things of mates , like yh it seems normal now that you might still borrow things like a lawn mower it Item of clothing peharps, but we constantly lending each other videos , LPs , books and in a strange instance some lent me their warhammer collection 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2023
    The Irish supporting England in Football tournaments 
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Jumping off the bus when it was starting to slow down before your stop. Ditto opening the train doors and jumping out on the platform when the train was still going to try to beat the crowds off at Cannon Street.
    We used to do the bus jump challenge and I misjudged it a bit once. Was hard to explain my bloody elbows and knees and holes in my blazer and trousers. 
  • Options
    fadgadget said:
    White Dog Poo
    Yeh, something to do with what they put in the dog food in those days, I assume bone meal.  Like most things today we over indulge.  Not that I have done much dog crap surveying you understand...

White crap….. Can be found in our dogs garden in this weather, manufactured dog food has various preservatives to give it a shelf life, which is what you’ll find after some thoughtless individual has walked their dog two days previously. 
    After expelling natural food, the fluids needed to do so will evaporate leaving content the dog’s stomach can’t breakdown which when left will dry will return to the soil.
    I can talk dog sh*te all day and often do, checking your dogs crap will often tell you if the dog has a health issue well before the dog looks poorly. 😉
  • Options
    not quite the remit of this thread, but what happened to quiz machines in pubs ?  

Don’t see them at all these days. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    MrOneLung said:
    not quite the remit of this thread, but what happened to quiz machines in pubs ?  

Don’t see them at all these days. 
    Do still see them but nowhere near as much as 10, 15 years ago, seems to be going back towards fruit machines if anything at all.

I wonder whether the quizzies had less of a profit margin given there's some skill over the percentage payout on fruit machines?
  • Options
    Mine didn’t have a telephone .

Houses without phones , no hot water and outside toilets. 

some house had no electricity in Charlton but had gas.

Last street lights I believe that run on gas turned off about 1975. Harvey Gardens.
    To the outside toilets I would add Izal medicated toilet paper or square bits of newspaper strung up on a piece of string on a hook!
  • Options
    Whole rabbits hanging in butcher’s shops front windows.
  • Options
    Sheeps brains also in the butchers.
  • Options
    Whole rabbits hanging in butcher’s shops front windows.
    Heard once that they had the whole unskinned rabbit in the windows as when skinned looked to similar to a skinned cat 
  • Options
    Giving your parents 3 rings to confirm you had made it to your intended location - my mates house.