Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Everyday things from back in the day that seem really weird now

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Renting the telly and buying the Evening classified after watching Charlton.
    Or taking the Telly down the repair shop in North Cray and hoping it could be repaired.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited May 2023
    Recording songs off the radio via cassette 
    Putting Sellotape over the holes so you could record over a ‘read only’ cassette. 

Buying metal TDK cassettes to show off. 

Comparing how smooth the eject was on the cassette player compared to your mate’s one

fucking about randomly with a graphic equaliser that seemed to make no difference to the sound. 

• Options
    Bloke going round the pubs with a basket full of sweets
    Fella used to up until a couple of years ago do this on a Friday night round the red barn strangest thing is I know his son. 
    He used to have dirty DVD's at the bottom of his basket to sell.
  • Options
    May have already been mentioned - having letters in a phone number.

The number of the first home phone we ever had was PLU 4514
  • Options
    As a nipper watching the older generation sit down with their cup of tea then watch them pour the tea in to the saucer and drink from that instead of the cup. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    We had a knife sharpening bloke come round who'd operate from his van - knives, scissors, shears, tools - he was quite popular.

Also the French onion man on his bike.  

Gordon, or Mr Kaye as we used to have to call him, used to shop in my shop.  In his later years he was, let's just say, difficult.  But that's for another thread.
    He was seriously injured in a car accident during a storm in 1990 - piece of wood went through his car windscreen, causing major head injury, needed brain surgery - this altered his personality quite a bit for the remainder of his life - his recovery was helped by watching videos of ‘Allo Allo’ in hospital to try and help him remember who he was etc

Very sad - good actor 
    His partner also died, which had a massive effect on him.  I would have come across him in the early 2010s.

He normally came in early on a Saturday morning.  One Friday night he came in about 8.30pm and kicked off we hadn't got the morning papers out yet.  He wouldn't have it that it was Friday night not 8.30 am Saturday morning.

Sometimes under the confusion amd ranting the "old him" would surface.  It was very sad. 
  • Options
    As a nipper watching the older generation sit down with their cup of tea then watch them pour the tea in to the saucer and drink from that instead of the cup. 
    Had no idea that wasn't just something Compo from Last of the Summer Wine did.
  • Options
    It was a strange one, I never got my head round why the older folk did it.
    I can still hear my nan tearing a strip off my granddad if he dared do it 'in company'
  • Options
    I can still hear my nan tearing a strip off my granddad if he dared do it 'in company'
    I didn't know it was a thing, but the reason was presumably to cool the tea down more quickly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As a 14 year old going to bed with a trannie every night.

Watneys Party Seven.
  • Options
    I didn't know it was a thing, but the reason was presumably to cool the tea down more quickly.
    After a quick google, it seems drinking tea from a saucer was more popular than even I realised, below is a lighthearted explanation..

https://www.mylondon.news/news/tv/only-fools-horses-fans-left-25884823

• Options
    Paraffin heaters. 
    Having asbestos panels screwed on to doors as fire breaks.
    Playing with Mercury in school chemistry lessons.
  • Options
    Netaddicks 
  • Options
    SodaStreams
  • Options
    Using the mangle, washing done in the kitchen sink. Later the great invention (for my mum) a twin tub washing machine.
  • Options
    Using the mangle, washing done in the kitchen sink. Later the great invention (for my mum) a twin tub washing machine.
    Just the fact that only one parent worked and the other stayed at home.  

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Not just letters, but a proper name too - Plumstead!  I was Hither Green. 

There was a proper procedure to answer too - none of this 'ello business, you had to say the name of the exchange clearly and the following numbers distinctly.  

• Options
    people outside train stations and pubs with trays of bic cigarette lighters
  • Options
    Footballers knocking the ball back to goalkeepers to pick up with their hands. 

Goalkeepers habitually bouncing the ball twice (regardless of whether the pitch was a bog heap) before launching a drop kick
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I guess you lived in Plumstead  

When we first got a phone, my mum used to answer the phone saying ‘Eltham 4274’ .. Mrs Bucket eat yer heart out. 
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Ahhhh is that why my grandparents always answered the phone with the last few digits?

Always reminds me of this too:

https://youtu.be/e0tiNwOpZ68

Why is it I can't remember what I need to buy in the supermarket, or what day of the week it is, but I could remember clear as day that the number from a TV show from 20 years ago was '4291'?
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Gary Glitter. 

7.62mm SLR

Getting up to chance TV station.

Watching the white dot fade when you turn off the TV.
  • Options
    The Nolans
  • Options
    The rag and bone man’s horse having a dump in the road as it went along and your mum bribing you with sixpence to take the bucket and shovel to get the horseshit to put on the roses in the garden