Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Everyday things from back in the day that seem really weird now

Comments

• Options
    Smoking on the tube
  • Options
    Married men being the decision maker 
    That was never really true...
  • Options
    Getting excited to see what would be in the new year’s Thomson Holidays brochure.

Travellers cheques. Signing the bloody things one at a time when you picked them up. And you were only going to Amsterdam, and you came back with a load of useless Dutch guilders.

Oh and working out what  you could bring back in your pathetic duty free allowance. Or whether you could risk the sneaky extra bottle hidden under your used underwear.
  • Options
    Seeing a policeman directing traffic to alleviate a traffic jam.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When I was a kid growing up, we referred to my next door neighbour as "Auntie Pauline" when she was no relation whatsoever! 
    and her name was Deidre
  • Options
    Bloke going round the pubs with a basket full of sweets
  • Options
    Strange old blokes in clubs taking Polaroid pictures of you and your mates for £1
  • Options
    Buying a Polaroid camera after you and your girlfriends holiday snaps come back from the developers with stickers all over then
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Gay men being described as a ‘confirmed batchelor’.
    Batchelor Boy - Cliff Richard.
  • Options
    Cablevision, late 60's. Not sure when that died the death.
  • Options
    I remember my grandfather claiming to have freewheeled all the way from Grove Park to Lee Green.  Must have been nigh on a century ago.
  • Options
    Using the whole bottle of Brut, Hai Karate, Denim because according to the ads women would be falling at your feet.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Strippers in ordinary pubs being perfectly normal entertainment lunch times & again after work
    Pint jugs and not forgetting the glasses they passed around.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Pease pudding, faggots and saveloy van pulling up in the road on a Saturday evening.

Milkman in a horse drawn wagon.

Coal being delivered in a hole in the ground outside the front door.

Scurvey

Rickets

Going to the doctor's surgery, taking a seat in the waiting room and everybody moving round one seat when the doctor called a patient in.
    Smoking in the Dr surgery waiting room … it was healthy to smoke in the 60’s
  • Options
    Local nutters that had some legendary story to them that kids were terrified of
  • Options
    Fella used to up until a couple of years ago do this on a Friday night round the red barn strangest thing is I know his son. 
  • Options
    LiveTV on cable.

Try and explain that concept to anyone under 40.
  • Options
     Needing to warn, pictorially, that heavy petting wasn’t appropriate in a swimming pool. 

I could understand more the modern day ‘sub-tropical’ centres with flumes and jets getting the juices running, but in the 70s did anyone seriously do 6 lengths of Crook Log pool and then had a cheeky finger??
    Only the swimming instructor with the people he was teaching. 
  • Options
    Fella used to up until a couple of years ago do this on a Friday night round the red barn strangest thing is I know his son. 
    Must have been the same guy who came round the pubs in North Heath. Only once did I ever see anyone buy anything. 
  • Options
    Already been mentioned but spending the whole summer at Charlton Lido or Eltham Park Lido or Danson Park lido. Doing Bombs off the side of the diving board, seeing who could get closest to the side of the pool and do the biggest splash. Getting out and asking ‘did it go’ - meaning was there a big splash

no health and safety in the 1960’s / 1970’s