Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Everyday things from back in the day that seem really weird now

Comments

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    Only 32 so not a huge pool to gather from, but:

Having to watch a show live or miss it entirely

Video recorders were quite prevalent in the 80s.
  • Options
    Listening to Capitol Radio on Saturdays when not out. Especially Six of the Best and The Best Disco in Town!
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Remember setting the video to record ten minutes before and after a show in case your clock was out too.

Nothing worse than Gladiators cutting out halfway through the Eliminator.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Remember setting the video to record ten minutes before and after a show in case your clock was out too.

Baywatch you mean
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Baywatch you mean
    To be fair recording the 10 minutes before would have meant you got some Baywatch too I think!

Baywatch
    Gladiators
    Blind Date

Can't think of many better TV line ups!!
  • Options
    Also, and this is veering way into nostalgia etc now rather than odd things from the past, but I absolutely loved the occasions on Blind Date where the couple from last week came back, and they absolutely f-ing hated each other.
  • Options
    Also, and this is veering way into nostalgia etc now rather than odd things from the past, but I absolutely loved the occasions on Blind Date where the couple from last week came back, and they absolutely f-ing hated each other.
    Modern equivalent would be something like Married at First Sight. Absolute trash TV but one of my guilty pleasures. 
  • Options
    TV listings in the papers have a code next to each programme that you could enter into your video recorder for it to copy
  • Options
    I remember going to my parents friends once in late 70's and they had a new fangled video recorder

However it could only tape for 1 hour, and the tv had to be on and the correct channel showing so you could basically on record what you were already watching

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    TV listings in the papers have a code next to each programme that you could enter into your video recorder for it to copy
    Video +
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blokes f***ing off to football when their missus is about to drop telling her “if the baby comes get the hospital to phone the ground”

Mid game tannoy announcements telling fellas their missus has gone into Labour 
    I missed the entire first half of a game because my wife was giving birth with my first child
    I mean that’s fair enough as you were playing, I hope it wasn’t THE match with that bad injury though 😞
  • Options
    Tracing paper for toilet paper.

Newspaper cut in squares for toilet paper (apologies if already mentioned as lagging behind on this thread as per usual)
  • Options
    Teachers on post-match shower duty.
    Come on boys we're all the same, as the pedo was first stripped off.
  • Options
    Drinks pissups at work on a Friday lunchtime 😎

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Pease pudding, faggots and saveloy van pulling up in the road on a Saturday evening.

Milkman in a horse drawn wagon.

Coal being delivered in a hole in the ground outside the front door.

Scurvey

Rickets

Going to the doctor's surgery, taking a seat in the waiting room and everybody moving round one seat when the doctor called a patient in.
    Blimey we were posh (I think) we had an indoor cellar for the coal.
  • Options
    Prizes on game shows being kitchen cabinets and speedboats 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Associating Jimmy Hill with lying 
  • Options
    Snakebite and black.
    Old school hash that came in a lump that you heated and didn’t stink like really strong BO
  • Options
    Summer holidays spent at Martens Grove  and Crook Log lidos. Seeing hedgehogs and tortoises regularly on your walk to school, even though it was always foggy and you had a balaclava over your eyes as so cold.
  • Options
    Topping up the barrel of water in the cellar in case of fire
    The Queen going to Tilbury
    Daytrips to Greenwich for the cleaner air
    Latin prep
    Going to the Globe Theatre
    Scurvy 
    Hiding from the press gangs 
    Skating on the Thames
    Leeches
    Charlton beating Millwall

You must be around 100?   :D
    Press gangs, :D hmm a bit older than 100 .............likewise beating millwall
  • Options
    When I was a kid growing up, we referred to my next door neighbour as "Auntie Pauline" when she was no relation whatsoever! 
  • Options

I can't say I remember this, but do recall a lot of pubs had two bars; "public" and "Saloon".
    Some had a small private bar
  • Options
    Vw cars with no badge on the front grill... Or back.

• Options
    Waiting up on Saturday night to try and catch a glimpse of tit on OTT, which never came
  • Options
    Sharing a bath with family because the hot water tank could only fill one bath and took ages to heat up. 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Waiting up on Saturday night to try and catch a glimpse of tit on OTT, which never came
    What do you mean? Chris Tarrant was on screen 90% of the show.