Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Everyday things from back in the day that seem really weird now

Comments

• Options
    Cigarette adverts, then the ban on the. So they had to put a warning on them so you knew they were cigarette adverts.

Seems absolutely mental now.

• Options
    Wright’s Coal Tar soap. Not seen that in ages.

Loved the smell.
    Sfill use it. A bit industrial but love the smell.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    My grandad wouldn’t eat anything that he described as “foreign”, cos “ya dunno where it’s bin”.  I think now most of us eat “foreign” 7 days a week, maybe not Sundays.  
  • Options
    Cars with mechanical indicators.
  • Options
    My grandad wouldn’t eat anything that he described as “foreign”, cos “ya dunno where it’s bin”.  I think now most of us eat “foreign” 7 days a week, maybe not Sundays.  
    Same old geeza (RIP) when he had a cold or flu, never went doctors or took paracetamol, instead he’d neck a large scotch first thing in the morning and just before bed.  He genuinely thought it worked.  
  • Options
    Only 32 so not a huge pool to gather from, but:

Having to choose between internet and a phone call

Having to watch a show live or miss it entirely

Penny sweets costing a penny

Having a mobile phone that didn't have the internet, or a camera, or apps, but you could change the entire case for a few quid

Not knowing about major events unless you watched the news or bought a paper the following day

Parents sending you home in a taxi while they stayed out on the lash 

People spending their entire weekends at sports clubs for 5 or 6 months a year

Tits in papers

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Lumbago, Chilblains, Dropsy,Donkey jackets with Ford written on the back. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Having to smoke 500 packs of Cigarettes just so could use the Tokens to buy a Umbrella
    Having to smoke 1000 packs of Cigarettes  to complete your Album collection of Tall Ships
    Mobile Librarys
    My Dads concoction for colds , Honey with Mashed Onion !
    Pigs Trotters for Tea
    Spratts or White Bait for Tea , puts you off having your dinners looking at you.
    Toffee Apple Man 
    Rossi`s Ice cream Man , Hand made ice cream and Teddy Bear Lollys
    People Knocking on your door asking if you want to buy a carpet / Mattress
    Ice Cream man selling Hot Dogs & Burgers
    Parafin Man , buying a couple of Gallons of highly inflamimble liquid to heat your house 
    Putting the Cat out for the Night and letting it back in before School
    Slot Meter TV`S   
  • Options
    One that I’m too young to experience but have seen in films.  The idea that you had offices with rows and rows of desks but no computers.  
  • Options
    Recording songs off the radio via cassette 
    Putting Sellotape over the holes so you could record over a ‘read only’ cassette. 

Buying metal TDK cassettes to show off. 

Comparing how smooth the eject was on the cassette player compared to your mate’s one

fucking about randomly with a graphic equaliser that seemed to make no difference to the sound. 
    Video Plus on VHS too. 
  • Options
    Charlton in the Premier League
  • Options
    Before TVs my dad (and uncle) after school would listen to the children's programme on the radio.

Their favourite one was the ventriloquist!
  • Options
    Mr. Happy said:
    Being told the ice cream van only plays music when they've run out of ice cream and not being able to Google it to check if mum was a liar.
    Of all the posters on here ... and you didn't know?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    Only one kid in each school year having asthma and nobody at all having a nut allergy
    In the 90s when i was at School it was about 1 in 8 kids having Asthma. Sports days weren't very exciting!
  • Options
    Being forced to attend Mrs Das computer science class.

I left that school in 1987, there were still NO COMPUTERS.
  • Options
    Calling Clubcall for football news.
    I was on the phone listening to Charlton Club Call (0898 12 11 46) when Danny Mills scored the goal that kept us up for a week. That game cost me about 50 quid in pocket money. 
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Doing computer programming at school (no computers naturally), so filling in punch cards in a random fashion, then getting them back a week later after they had been run through Freddie Lakers mainframe computer at Gatwick (absolutely no reason why other than he had a computer!?) then chucking the ticker-tape print outs at each other. Absolutely no idea what we were doing or why, no wonder the country went to rack and ruin, and Laker went bust.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Watching Concorde fly overhead....
    ......and hearing it fly overhead!
  • Options
    Children getting one present for Christmas (plus, perhaps, a bar of chocolate and an orange)
    Smoke-filled carriages on trains
    Walking to New Cross from Charlton when there were train strikes/snow
    Wearing a cap to school
    Addressing or referring to an adult as Mr or Mrs
    Medicine that tasted revolting (as a cure to stop you feeling ill)