Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Everyday things from back in the day that seem really weird now

Comments

• Options
    The girls in your 6th form class having 25 year old boyfriends that picked them up in their Fiesta.

Weird one that, looking back.

Bill Wyman having a 13 year old girl friend when he was 47 and he was never charged despite Mandy Smith saying they had sex from when she was 14 ! 
    They married when Mandy was 18 but divorced two years later as dirty Bill preferred younger women !
    Gary Glitter has always felt this wasn't fair.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be. 

Park keepers and 12 grass Tennis courts that were always busy at the weekend 
    Seeing local bill on a bike
    Just the one bag lady or Tramp in the locality.
    Gypsy Tart and custard. 
    Chocolate pudding and chocolate sauce.
    Traveling to London before the IRA or any other terrorists spread their hatred.
    Going to Butlins with Parents, Brothers and Aunt, Uncle and cousins.
    The smell of the drains at the valley on occasions after entering the Sam Bartram entrance.
    Individual fruit pies and getting the classified newspaper on a Saturday evening with the football scores.
    The Coal man
    Rag and bone man.
    The insurance man. 
    Avon calling lady.
    Delivering papers and taking 15 minutes longer on 'girlie mag' morning.
    Drinking full cream milk at School.
    Being beaten by a psycho teacher when 8.

• Options
    The weatherman Laurie West who modified forecasting with his magnetic symbols and laid back approach - would never have done at the BBC.

• Options
    Meat raffles down the pub. Such a weird prize.

And as I kid was always told it was illegal to put the light on in the car when driving. What was that all about?
    Still have meat raffles in the pubs and clubs up here.

Second one is that an urban myth that our parents believed or is there more to it than that?
  • Options

And as I kid was always told it was illegal to put the light on in the car when driving. What was that all about?
    My local still does meat raffles. Its quite a modern pub in other aspects but I guess its an old fashioned landlord!
  • Options
    The girls in your 6th form class having 25 year old boyfriends that picked them up in their Fiesta.

Bill Wyman having a 13 year old girl friend when he was 47 and he was never charged despite Mandy Smith saying they had sex from when she was 14 ! 
    They married when Mandy was 18 but divorced two years later as dirty Bill preferred younger women !
    Gary Glitter has always felt this wasn't fair.

Park keepers and 12 grass Tennis courts that were always busy at the weekend 
    Seeing local bill on a bike
    Just the one bag lady or Tramp in the locality.
    Gypsy Tart and custard. 
    Chocolate pudding and chocolate sauce.
    Traveling to London before the IRA or any other terrorists spread their hatred.
    Going to Butlins with Parents, Brothers and Aunt, Uncle and cousins.
    The smell of the drains at the valley on occasions after entering the Sam Bartram entrance.
    Individual fruit pies and getting the classified newspaper on a Saturday evening with the football scores.
    The Coal man
    Rag and bone man.
    The insurance man. 
    Avon calling lady.
    Delivering papers and taking 15 minutes longer on 'girlie mag' morning.
    Drinking full cream milk at School.
    Being beaten by a psycho teacher when 8.

Avon calling lady, didn’t max factor?
  • Options

Yeah, and even when that wasn't the norm, when I was at school in the 90s, the 17 year old girls had much older boyfriends.

Remember being 15 and taking whe  I'm 23,  24 I'll have a car and can pull all the girls in the Upper 6th.  Then getting to that age and realising they were all the weirdos who couldn't get girls their own age!
  • Options
    Random / inconsistent price of a larger round in a pub when they didn’t have a screen based till. 

Whip rounds for a session in the pub. 

Pools syndicate at work. 
  • Options
    Hanging out the bathroom window holding my radio, aerial fully extended, to listen to Charlton Live on RTM on a Sunday night.
  • Options
    Going to the phone box to call your girlfriend.
  • Options
    Having only BBC1, BBC2 & ITV to choose from.

Charlton being in the Premier League.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On the way to a 1970s match, loads of people pissing in the front gardens on Charlton Church Lane. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Second one is that an urban myth that our parents believed or is there more to it than that?
    I honestly don’t know but everyone abided by it as if the old bill would immediately pull you over 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I honestly don’t know but everyone abided by it as if the old bill would immediately pull you over 
    Mate my mum abided by it to the degree I thought she would get hung drawn and quartered.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Okay not an everyday occurrence but I remember when we had a visit from a TV engineer to drill the box (wooden bit with the speaker in to the right of the CRT) and fit a 4th button so we could get Channel 4 when it started a couple of months later. 
    Such magical times….
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Seat belts optional in cars
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Macronate said:

Okay not an everyday occurrence but I remember when we had a visit from a TV engineer to drill the box (wooden bit with the speaker in to the right of the CRT) and fit a 4th button so we could get Channel 4 when it started a couple of months later. 
    Such magical times….
    And coming home from school to watch the first C4 programme, Countdown! 
  • Options
    People living in iron lungs.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Typing in three numbers on the TV and waiting for 4 pages to find out Charlton had lost. 
    Calling a premium rate number for Transfer News
  • Options
    Not having a television set, and reading library books whilst walking in the street or under the bedclothes with a torch, and getting told off for doing so.
    One sweetie for a farthing and four a penny.
    Being so cold ‘jack frost’ would cover your window with ice and getting dressed and undressed under the sheet and blanket. No duvets as such but there were things called eiderdowns.
    Four related mixed gender kids all sleeping in the same bed on holidays.
    Fetching water from the street pump when visiting relatives in Ireland, where they had wind up telephones in boxes that put you through to an operator.
    Button A and Button B in public phone boxes and ‘tapping’ public phones to get a free call.
  • Options
    Booking holidays from Teletext pretty much blind to what it was like.

"SPAIN Costa Del Sol £179PP"
  • Options
    Mods and rockers being stopped by police down at Southend and having there shoe laces removed.
  • Options
    Having to nail the timing on pressing play/record to tape a song off the radio.
  • Options
    Portable CD players with 'anti-skip' technology.

Mine had 30 seconds worth so I'd have to stop walking fairly frequently to make it play the song - I was often late to school...
  • Options
    PE teachers making you get in the showers at school.

might just have been mine tho.
  • Options
    Having to nail the timing on pressing play/record to tape a song off the radio.
    I'm surprised you're old enough to have done that,