Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

D Day

Respect to all who put their life on the line & who sadly lost theirs we salute you 

Comments

• Options
    We do
  • Options
    Can only imagine the hell those boys went through landing on those beaches. Their sacrifice must not and will not ever be forgotten.
  • Options
    I often think how brave that generation was and selfless in their actions.
    I would hope so but I'm not sure the generations since would have acted as that generation did.
  • Options
    Respect. 
  • Options
    "When you go home, tell them of us and say, for your tomorrow, we gave our today" will never forget all, who sacrificed their life's during war. 
  • Options
    Respect to all those that have served in many campaigns over many decades. You will never be forgotten.
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Respect to all who put their life on the line & who sadly lost theirs we salute you 
    Well said, sadly the respect for those that have served and serving is dwindling with those left also. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Amazing generation. I very recently went to Normandy for the first time and recommend anyone who’s thought they’d like to go to do it. It’s the most moving thing I’ve ever experienced. And take your teenage kids too. I’d like to go back next year and try and trace my grandads tracks who arrived on DDay 2 with the Royal Engineers.
  • Options
    I get choked when I try and put into words what those men went through, not just on D-Day but in the coming months fighting through to Berlin. Listen to some of them talk and they speak of the abject frustration of an enemy continuing to fight and cause death and destruction when they were truly beaten. Many times an Allie officer would treat with the Nazi officer of a French/Dutch/Belgian village or town that they had occupied and give them the option to surrender, be fed, taken out of the hellhole, be sensible, save the lives of their men and the buildings of the village and the idiots would refuse and have the place flattened and a brigade killed.

Greatest generation indeed
  • Options
    Nug said:
    Just to add I was a little disappointed with the tv coverage yesterday, assume next year for the 80th anniversary it will be widely covered. I suppose Harry’s court case and Holly Willoughbys dress are much more important!
    Next year will be the last big anniversary with D-Day veterans still alive. It will, hopefully, be marked and celebrated accordingly.
  • Options
    My Uncle Den is literally the last man standing from 48 Commando (Juno beach). 

He spent his 99th birthday (4 days ago) travelling to the memorial event from his home in France near the Spanish border where he lives with his daughter. (He was in his late 80s when he emigrated). 

My Dad was also a Royal Marine, but always said it was his brother who pulled the short straw when it came to their overseas assignments. 
    Just to add to this (if interested) there is a podcast on Spotify called 'Last man standing' featuring Den.  Unfortunately the sound quality isn't what it could be. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2023
    If anyone hasn't done the battlefield tours whether through here or other tours, i thoroughly recommend doing so. Especially the DDay landings and the battle of the Somme.

What those armed forces went through and the sitting ducks they were, when they were running up the beach is so sorrowful.

The American graves at Omaha beach is just incredible not a blade of grass longer than the other. Was also interesting to see naval personnel there that died that day. But was informed some were on the beaches as guides.
  • Options
    801912601 said:
    I’m in Normandy at the mo for the DDay commemorations. Wife’s grandfather died as part of the invasion and is buried in a cemetery called Jerusalem. The locals are having a ceremony there tonight and she is laying a wreath in his memory. The French have never forgotten what these brave men did and the British need to do the same
    Wonderful. 😏
  • Options
    Jerusalem war cemetary is near Tilly in Normandy where a battle raged for 14 days. Two of the regiments involved were the Sherwood Forresters and the 24th Lancers. The latter regiment was disbanded at Jerusalem crossroads due to the heavy losses with survivors, including my father, going on to join other regiments. There are several of the regiment buried at Jerusalem cemetary 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    My father was a Chief Designer Draughtsman in The Air Ministry……his specialty was steel reinforced concrete construction……he designed steel structure work. 
    He was sent down to Portsmouth to head up a team working on the Mulberry Harbour caissons (Operation Phoenix).
    I went to Normandy a few years back and there are still some standing……as you can well imagine, I was very touched.
    And you know, he never once mentioned it…….I only found out from Mum a while after he died……extraordinary.
    Official Secrets Act I assume.
    Was fascinating to see them still standing particularly as the American ones had long since gone.

I am sure Clive (Se7toSe3) said some of ours were built from concrete that had come from St Pauls Cathedral when it took a hit, maybe mistaken though.
  • Options
    one of those days that if the Allied mission had failed to achieve its goals, the world would probably be a very different place today .. so many brave young men died and so many more lived to tell their tales .. as said, a pivotal day in world history
  • Options
    801912601 said:
    I’m in Normandy at the mo for the DDay commemorations. Wife’s grandfather died as part of the invasion and is buried in a cemetery called Jerusalem. The locals are having a ceremony there tonight and she is laying a wreath in his memory. The French have never forgotten what these brave men did and the British need to do the same
    That's what struck me at Yypes, how the locals hadn't forgotten what others sacrificed for them. To hold a ceremony every evening at the Menin Gate is just remarkable but shows how they too will never forget.

Been surprised reading this how many who have commented didn't come on our trip to Normandy last year.     
  • Options
    801912601 said:
    That's what struck me at Yypes, how the locals hadn't forgotten what others sacrificed for them. To hold a ceremony every evening at the Menin Gate is just remarkable but shows how they too will never forget.

Been surprised reading this how many who have commented didn't come on our trip to Normandy last year.     
    Would have loved to, but couldn’t make it unfortunately