Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

US Open Golf

Hosted at Los Angeles Country Club North Course... anyone got fancies this year?

Top of the market according to Oddschecker with generally available prices ...
  • Scheffler 6/1
  • Rahm 9/1
  • Koepka 11/1
  • McIlroy 12/1
  • Cantlay 16/1
  • Hovland 16/1
  • Schauffler 18/1
  • Spieth 20/1

Betfair and Coral paying 12 places at 1/5 and 1/6 odds respectively. Paddy and Hills both 10 places at 1/5 odds and Bet365 & Sky 8 places 1/5.

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Here's a course flyover... always enjoy watching these before a major tournament.

• Options
    I'm not going to bet, for a winner I s'pose I'd be boring and pick Scheffler as he just needs a not terrible putting week. It's wide from the tee so errant drivers like Spieth, Smith and even Mickelson are in with a shout. There isn't really a type of player that stands out at LACC.

The 6th looks like a ridiculously fun short par  
    4 - a blind tee shot with the fairway twisting 90+ degrees, or risk going for the tiny green.

Scoring will be low, which I'm usually against for a US Open but it looks like such a quirky and memorable course that I don't mind. Hopefully I'll be awake for the last couple of hours Monday morning (doubtful).
  • Options
    Can’t wait, bizarrely since the LIV stuff started I’ve watched 10 times more PGA golf than I used to! 

Not thought about picks yet, had a mare on that front at the USPGA 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Gone with Cantlay this week for my bet but hoping for an English winner.

Rai, Hatton, Fleetwood all flirted with the top of the leaderboard at the weekend.
    Fitzpatrick back to back? I’d love it
  • Options
    Thais is such a hard one to call. The “big three” have gone off the boil recently:  Rahm is in the huff about the merger, Scotty has lost his putter and poor old Rory is all over the place. Can’t bear to pick Cantlay so I won’t. Koepka is on fire (to the extent that he’s playing) so must be in with a shout. I can’t see Fitz going back to back. Fleetwood had his nearly moment last week. I’ve given up backing Xander in majors.  Day’s recent bubble has burst a bit.  So who to pick?

I’ve gone:

Hatton
    Burns
    Young
    Connors

all each way 10 places

and Koepka win only. 
  • Options
    I've gone for half the field, so feel free to back the other half :smile: basically i had a little return last week and i have mostly gone for outsiders but then added a few faves, good luck all. Interesting one, the course hasn't been used for a major or PGA, 3 par 5's and 5 par 3's so par 70. 

winning score expected to be around -5/-7, according to tipsters, although there is potential for a lot of double bogeys so the scores could be wide, Scottie probably the one to beat but i couldn't see the value. Rory in decent form but again not sure how mentally he is there yet with the recent LIV stuff, Fleetwood, Hatton & Rose all went close last week at the Canadian (dramatic ending) 

My list, this is pretty small stakes so i've punted on quite a few longer shots. I am second guessing with the odds on more places whether its worthwhile as last week i had 90/1 place (CT Pan) but it only retured like £15, but if he had won i would have got £100

Pieters
    Bryson
    Fowler
    Scheffler (end to end)
    Fowler
    Mccarthy
    Hovland
    Schenk
    Pendrith
    English
    Thegala
    Bennett
    Burns
    Spieth
    Koepka

It's a few and still second guessing whether any will be in the shout, i love it! a shame i am away this weekend so i won't get to see much. 
  • Options
    Spieth
    Finau
    Fowler

All each-way
  • Options
    Hovland, Spieth or Smith to win. 
    Theegala, Min Woo Lee, Wyndham Clark each way. 

Sounds like it's going to play very different to a usual US Open. Will still be very difficult I'm sure, but in a different way than just having brutal rough etc. Seems like it's going to reward those who like to get creative and might play quite linksy. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    There is a 290 yard par three. 

I would play that: driver, pitching wedge, lob wedge, putter, putter , putter and walk off with a steady 6 
    I'd shank it , use the recovery, again mishit it. get on there in 6 and 3 put for a 9 (true story)
  • Options
    Looking forward to it. I have also done Hovland to win and Homa, Clark, Theegala & English ew. Good luck to all.
  • Options
    Hatton in great form recently.
    Fleetwood went close last week.
    Expect Rahm and Koepka to be close.
    Spieth some good value at 18/1 top 10 on Skybet
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Hatton in great form recently.
    Fleetwood went close last week.
    Expect Rahm and Koepka to be close.
    Spieth some good value at 18/1 top 10 on Skybet
    That can't be right for Spieth is it?
  • Options
    That's his odds to win, he's not 18 to 1 to finish top 10!
  • Options
    LA is 8 hours behind us. 

Could be some late nights over the next 4 days  
  • Options
    Mike said:
    That's his odds to win, he's not 18 to 1 to finish top 10!
    And sorry 18/1 1/5 odds top 12 on Skybet not top 10!
  • Options
    LA is 8 hours behind us. 

Could be some late nights over the next 4 days  
    That’s the problem with west coast major venues. Lost count of how many Sunday night/Monday morning finishes I’ve nodded off through over the years. 
  • Options
    Played the course on the PS5 last night as I like comparing it to what is shown on TV. Felt like an easier course than Oak Hill, wider fairways in the most part & may actually see some eagles this time!

There is a brilliant driveable down hill par 4 but the green isn't huge so be interesting to see how many go for it! Sticking the ball close on that massive par 3 will be tricky, expect Rahm to be cursing the PGA again.

I reckon a score of around 6 under will be the lead on day one. Think the course will suit the likes of Rahm and straight shooters like Fitzpatrick.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    Played the course on the PS5 last night as I like comparing it to what is shown on TV. Felt like an easier course than Oak Hill, wider fairways in the most part & may actually see some eagles this time!

There is a brilliant driveable down hill par 4 but the green isn't huge so be interesting to see how many go for it! Sticking the ball close on that massive par 3 will be tricky, expect Rahm to be cursing the PGA again.

I reckon a score of around 6 under will be the lead on day one. Think the course will suit the likes of Rahm and straight shooters like Fitzpatrick.

Which game? Yeah it sounds like it has a lot of half par holes – some par 4s that could play as a 3.5 or 4.5. Should make for some birdie runs and also double bogeys and worse.   

It it’s soft I heard in podcasts (eg Geoff Shackelford, who helped renovate it) that 62 could be in play. However – it sounds like it’ll be nice and firm thanks to recent hot weather. I didn’t know LA gets ‘June Gloom’ and a grey marine layer like San Francisco.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2023
    RedPanda said:
    cafcpolo said:

Which game? Yeah it sounds like it has a lot of half par holes – some par 4s that could play as a 3.5 or 4.5. Should make for some birdie runs and also double bogeys and worse.   

It it’s soft I heard in podcasts (eg Geoff Shackelford, who helped renovate it) that 62 could be in play. However – it sounds like it’ll be nice and firm thanks to recent hot weather. I didn’t know LA gets ‘June Gloom’ and a grey marine layer like San Francisco.

EA Sports PGA Tour. They had about 30 courses at launch and are releasing new ones with each major. Rumours are a Ryder Cup mode will come in around September as well. Augusta as you would imagine is a right bitch to play.

1st and 8th are good eagle opportunities then some chances either side of the turn and near the end.

The 290yd par 3 will play closer to 250, there is an uphill one around 240 which will be trickier I think.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    RedPanda said:
    cafcpolo said:

EA Sports PGA Tour. They had about 30 courses at launch and are releasing new ones with each major. Rumours are a Ryder Cup mode will come in around September as well. Augusta as you would imagine is a right bitch to play.

1st and 8th are good eagle opportunities then some chances either side of the turn and near the end.

The 290yd par 3 will play closer to 250, there is an uphill one around 240 which will be trickier I think.
    Loving EA PGA at mo! Great idea feeding courses into it to keeping it fresh! 
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    RedPanda said:
    cafcpolo said:

Loving EA PGA at mo! Great idea feeding courses into it to keeping it fresh! 
    Yep yep! Can't wait for Royal Liverpool. Wish they had a few more courses outside the States though.
  • Options
    I've done the following e/w Rory, Rose, Koepka, Fleetwood, Fitzpatrick, Rahm and Scotty Scheffler. Virgin bet paying 8 places 
  • Options
    who who said Hatton was playing well at the mo????
  • Options
    801912601 said:
    Have I jinxed him again? 🙈
  • Options
    801912601 said:
    Have I jinxed him again? 🙈

+3 after 9 holes - six shots off the current leaders.
  • Options
    Doesn't seem to have the teeth of a usual.US Open course. Leaders currently 6&7 under par - looking like winning score could be mid teens under par.
  • Options
    Doesn't seem to have the teeth of a usual.US Open course. Leaders currently 6&7 under par - looking like winning score could be mid teens under par.
    Yeah will be interesting as it’s also being said that this should be the easiest day and the one to get a score on the board. As always I think a lot will have been beaten up come Sunday. 
  • Options
    Less than a quarter of the current field are under par (21 of 87). Fowler and Schauffele playing some really good stuff early on but would be surprised if that continues…