Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is the future of Charlton TV safe?

Comments

• Options
    CharltonTV
     HA said the EFL have done a deal with Sky Sports which starts from the 2024/25 season. She said it has some good advantages for supporters in the deal, including making them aware earlier of when games are being moved for television. HA said the club won’t be able to stream games in the UK. She asked if given that and the success of CharltonTV, will CharltonTV continue for the 2024/25 season. TR said the club has been pleased about how well CharltonTV was received. He said that it was important for fans during the pandemic and important for the club too in terms of generating revenue. He said that since then it has been helpful in growing a community of international supporters who are more engaged than ever in the club. He said it is still popular in the UK too. He said that the games the club can currently stream in the UK (midweek, international break etc.) provide important revenue to put the club in the position to continue to deliver CharltonTV. He said the streaming numbers aren’t the same level for the weekend games which can’t be streamed in the UK. He said with that in mind the club are looking at options around CharltonTV for the 2024/25 season. He said whatever happens the club will still be able to stream the games abroad, he said whether than presentation is the full CharltonTV production or a slightly dialled down version is something the club will be considering over the coming months. He said the club are aware how important CharltonTV is for international supporters and want to make sure the club can put on as good a product as possible for them. AF asked is CharltonTV would be the normal setup for this season. TR said the plan at this stage is that the club are moving ahead with CharltonTV in the same setup as last season for the upcoming season. 
    https://cdn.charltonafc.com/sites/default/files/2023-06/Fans' Forum June 2023.pdf
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    It shouldn't be safe, at least in its current format. As good as it is, it is massively out of sync with the status of our club; we are not in a position where anyone other than existing fans (and the occasional fans of opposition supporters) are going to tune in and watch. Unless the people who work on it do so free of charge, I think it's inevitable that new owners will want to scale it back regardless of the EFL/Sky deal mentioned above.
  • Options
    I emailed the club a week ago asking if my current annual subscription was valid for the pre season friendlies and what was planned for the forthcoming season.

I have not received a reply.
  • Options
    I emailed the club a week ago asking if my current annual subscription was valid for the pre season friendlies and what was planned for the forthcoming season.

I have not received a reply.
    I don't have an annual subscription but pay £7 pm ( which I can pause/cancel at any time) so that we're able to watch the U21s midweek when they play " at home".

Out of interest, I tried to pay for Saturday's PSF at Welling & received a message stating that it would be a duplication if I purchased this as I already had a subscription. 

I then tried the same for all PSFs & received the message that I already subscribed. 

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    It shouldn't be safe, at least in its current format. As good as it is, it is massively out of sync with the status of our club; we are not in a position where anyone other than existing fans (and the occasional fans of opposition supporters) are going to tune in and watch. Unless the people who work on it do so fore free, I think it's inevitable that new owners will want to scale it back regardless of the EFL/Sky deal mentioned above.
    If you use the free preshow as an example, as good as it is does it achieve anything?  You can't watch it then decide to go to the game, or if your in the UK, legally buy the stream.  How many potential people over seas would watch the preshow with already having the intention to buy the stream?

If you want to use it to sell more streams and, heaven forbid, tickets.  Do a Friday night preshow on YouTube. But in its current format, despite being very good, it doesn't make much, any?, commercial sense. 
  • Options
    You can see how few people watch the pre show with the ticker on Twitter, and it's less than 200 most games. 
  • Options
    A show that presumably has to pay presenters and guests hefty fees isn't sustainable when the viewership is in the hundreds. That's even before you consider its for a mid-table league 1 club losing millions a season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is the Welling game being streamed on Charlton TV? Anybody know?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Yes, seth.

See my post above.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    PopIcon said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    A show that presumably has to pay presenters and guests hefty fees isn't sustainable when the viewership is in the hundreds. That's even before you consider its for a mid-table league 1 club losing millions a season. 
    Guests earn pennies, I've had this confirmed directly. I'm not sure what Minto is on, but I doubt it's more than a couple of hundred quid.
    Even if they were doing it for free, its probably still cost prohibitive when you also consider the production costs to run it. 

Not a knock on a great video service for Charlton fans, but I doubt new owners will fall over themselves to keep it running when we know cost cutting is the first thing they usually look to do. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Yes, seth.

See my post above.
    thanks
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Rothko said:
    You can see how few people watch the pre show with the ticker on Twitter, and it's less than 200 most games. 
    That's watching it directly through Twitter though, I suspect the amount of people just logging straight into the stream and watching that is quite a bit higher.
    Yes,namely the overseas people like me. In the Whatsapp group I’m in nearly everyone watches nearly every game. And we are one of many such groups.

I believe that within 2 seasons the Saturday 3pm blackout will have collapsed under the weight of reality. It would then look bloody stupid to have axed probably the best production  of its kind a year earlier
  • Options
    Do the guys doing the commentary earn much or is it more of a hobby for them?
  • Options
    I really hope so. It's the only way I can watch the games!
  • Options
    I think people might underestimate how much money it brings in. I think annual overseas subscriptions are £120. So let's say you sell 1,000 of those, you're at 120k before one offs and midweek matches. I doubt that covers the annual operating costs, but it must be a decent chunk of change. Plus, while I believe they pay iFollow for the feed (at least away, maybe not at home), they are bringing in money directly that iFollow would otherwise get.

Again, there may be insights into the Financials that I don't know about, but I think it probably does alright, before you start trying to quantify things like fan engagement. 
  • Options
    Can Charlton matches be streamed abroad?  I am under the impression that Charlton TV cannot be reached worldwide.
  • Options
    Can Charlton matches be streamed abroad?  I am under the impression that Charlton TV cannot be reached worldwide.
    It can (actually, that’s the main purpose of Charlton TV). There are restrictions if the match is being shown on local TV, but can’t imagine that will happen very often in Brazil! I would guess you should be able to watch most if not all Charlton matches where you are. Whether that’s a good thing or not is debatable!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:
    I think people might underestimate how much money it brings in. I think annual overseas subscriptions are £120. So let's say you sell 1,000 of those, you're at 120k before one offs and midweek matches. I doubt that covers the annual operating costs, but it must be a decent chunk of change. Plus, while I believe they pay iFollow for the feed (at least away, maybe not at home), they are bringing in money directly that iFollow would otherwise get.

Again, there may be insights into the Financials that I don't know about, but I think it probably does alright, before you start trying to quantify things like fan engagement. 
    More like £220.
  • Options
    They both got a free Range Rover for doing it.
  • Options
    They get expenses I believe but only recently.
    It’s definitely done more from their love of the club.

• Options
    I think the commentary people ought to get a fee for the work.
    We pay, so they should get some of our money plus the expenses.

Personally I wouldn’t pay the lovely Minto, Curbs or Brownie for chit chatting away, ideally that part would be a different random supporter each week, starting with potential BAFTA award winner Jonathan Acworth.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    seth plum said:

Pre-Season Pass - Welling Utd v Charlton

- Watch live on Saturday, July 1st (3pm BST)

- Match coverage only

• Options
    They get expenses I believe but only recently.
    It’s definitely done more from their love of the club.

Hang on.
    ’Only recently’?
    I have paid for years and assumed they have always got paid for travel and when justified overnight stays.
  • Options
    It will be the new television deal that the EFL ihas agreed that will kill off Charlton TV.
    I have a yearly pass but from 2024 it will not be worth it as no midweek away games can not be steamed by the club.
    I do not know if this includes the efl Cup or the Papa John's trophy.
    So they will loose a sizable amount of uk sales.
  • Options
    ‘No midweek away games can not be streamed by the club’
    Does that mean they can be?
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    It will be the new television deal that the EFL ihas agreed that will kill off Charlton TV.
    I have a yearly pass but from 2024 it will not be worth it as no midweek away games can not be steamed by the club.
    I do not know if this includes the efl Cup or the Papa John's trophy.
    So they will loose a sizable amount of uk sales.
    seth plum said:
    ‘No midweek away games can not be streamed by the club’
    Does that mean they can be?
    https://www.efl.com/news/2023/may/efl-announces-landmark-broadcasting-deal-with-sky-sports/