Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wimbledon 2023

Draw made today ahead of the tournament starting next week.

Six British women (all wildcards) and eight British men in the singles draws.

Comments

• Options
    Tsitsipas v Thiem is the pick of the first round.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    That reminds me of a joke.  

A man walks into the doctor's surgery and hands a piece of paper to the doctor, on which he has scrawled, "Doctor, you have to help me.  I can't pronounce the words that start with the letter "t" or "f". I need help".  

The doctor reads it and says "you can't say fairer that that, then". 
  • Options
    Or type it
  • Options
    The winner potentially faces Andy Murray, hopefully they have a long draining 5 setter!
  • Options
    Currently watching the second part of the series Break Point which is a good warm up to Wimbledon next week.
    What controversy there was surrounding Kyrgois last year, anyone know if he’s set to play this year.
  • Options
    Currently watching the second part of the series Break Point which is a good warm up to Wimbledon next week.
    What controversy there was surrounding Kyrgois last year, anyone know if he’s set to play this year.
    Yes.  He's in the bottom half of the draw, and plays the German, Goffin (wild card) in the first round.  

There are five British players in the top half of the draw.  So, in theory at least, we could have a UK v Aus final, to take our minds off the Ashes for a day. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Yes.  He's in the bottom half of the draw, and plays the German, Goffin (wild card) in the first round.  

There are five British players in the top half of the draw.  So, in theory at least, we could have a UK v Aus final, to take our minds off the Ashes for a day. 
    You might want to let Liege-born Goffin know that he’s now German!
  • Options
    I don’t understand how the draw works 
    1 and 2 seeds on opposite sides fine, but why is it random which side 3 and 4 go ? Why doesn’t 4 automatically go in with seed 1 ? 

Does that also happen as the next bunch of seeds - logically if the top 8 seeds all got to the the quarters is should by 1-8 2-7 3-6 4-5 but it isn’t 
  • Options
    Kyrgios has dropped out due to a wrist injury.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Order of play for the show courts and anywhere a Brit is involved…

Centre Court:
    Djokovic v Cachin
    V. Williams v Svitolina
    Sinner v Cerundolo

Court 1:
    Swiatek v Zhu
    Lokoli v Ruud
    Kenin v Gauff

Court 2:
    Pegula v Davis
    Goffin v *Lucky Loser* (TBC, likely Marozsan)
    Swan v Bencic
    Evans v Halys

Court 3:
    Rublev v Purcell
    Volynets v Garcia
    Burrage v McNally
    Fritz v Hanfmann

Court 12:
    Parry v Dart
    Mmoh v Auger-Aliassime
    Shapovalov v Albot
    Zhang v Vekic

Court 15:
    Yuan v Azarenka
    Broady v Lestienne
    Bublik v McDonald
    Kontaveit v Stefanini

Court 17:
    Bogdan v Samsonova
    Linette v Teichmann
    Choinski v Lajovic
    Collins v Grabher
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I don’t understand how the draw works 
    1 and 2 seeds on opposite sides fine, but why is it random which side 3 and 4 go ? Why doesn’t 4 automatically go in with seed 1 ? 

Does that also happen as the next bunch of seeds - logically if the top 8 seeds all got to the the quarters is should by 1-8 2-7 3-6 4-5 but it isn’t 
    1 and 2 are placed on opposite sides of the draw and can't meet until the final.
    3 and 4 are placed on opposite sides of the draw from each other and in different quarters of the draw from the 1 and 2 seeds. Each will play the 1 or 2 seed in the semis if they all get that far, but 3 and 4 are drawn into those two slots at random - either could play 1 or 2.

Then 5-8 seeds are drawn the same way, they're placed into sections so that all the top 8 seeds could reach the quarters before playing each other, but are then drawn randomly into those 4 slots.

Not sure why they do it like that, as it does make more sense for 1 to play 8, 2 to play 7 etc as you mentioned.
  • Options
    Great stat - Djokovic has not lost on Centre Court since being beaten by Andy Murray in the 2013 final.
  • Options
    Great stat - Djokovic has not lost on Centre Court since being beaten by Andy Murray in the 2013 final.
    Another great start - Djokovic has never taken a set off Andy Murray at the All England Tennis and Croquet Club, whether in the Olympics or Wimbledon.
  • Options
    Another great start - Djokovic has never taken a set off Andy Murray at the All England Tennis and Croquet Club, whether in the Olympics or Wimbledon.
    and probably never will
  • Options
    Now it is usually the players that catch my attention, but the Umpire in the Boulter match on BBC 2 is very pleasing on the eye
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Lots of rain interruption today but the roofs are helping on the main courts…

Murray v Peniston in 15 minutes on Centre Court.

Norrie v Machac in a couple of hours on Court 1.
  • Options
    The rain is really hammering on the roof!
  • Options
    Murray struggling earlier, saving a couple of break points, but has now broken serve himself and leads 4-2.
  • Options
    Murray running away with it now really. Leads 6-3 4-0
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surely Murray’s last hurrah this year. Some achievement to be playing at all given his injuries but can’t see that I’d be putting myself through it with no realistic chance of winning it (presumably he thinks he can!). His mother gets even scarier with age!!!
  • Options
    6-3 6-0
  • Options
    Murray wins 6-3 6-0 6-1

Norrie takes the first set on Court 1 6-3
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Murray wins 6-3 6-0 6-1

Murray will face no. 5 seed Tsitsipas or former world no. 3 Thiem in the next round.

The good news for Andy is that neither are particularly strong on grass and tend to favour the clay.

Thiem led by one set to love before rain interrupted their match. 

Tsitsipas @ Wimbledon: 1R 4R 1R 1R 3R

Thiem @ Wimbledon: 1R 2R 2R 4R 1R 1R
  • Options
    Murray showed the difference in level between him and Peniston today, as it wasn't as if Peniston froze. Murray simply had a lot more shots to his game.
  • Options
    Murray wins 6-3 6-0 6-1

Murray will face no. 5 seed Tsitsipas or former world no. 3 Thiem in the next round.

The good news for Andy is that neither are particularly strong on grass and tend to favour the clay.

Thiem led by one set to love before rain interrupted their match. 

Tsitsipas @ Wimbledon: 1R 4R 1R 1R 3R

Thiem @ Wimbledon: 1R 2R 2R 4R 1R 1R
    Plus presumably they'll have less rest than him too.  I know they are pros, but it might make that little bit of difference.
  • Options
    Norrie wins in four sets.

I see they’ve stuck Dan Evans on Centre Court to complete his match from yesterday. Unfortunately he starts 2-0 down in sets.
  • Options
    He’s doing better today and his missus is very easy on the eye…
  • Options
    Evans defeated in four sets.
  • Options
    Bit of a damp squib so far!  They're going to have a few players playing back to back days given the rain delays.