Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wimbledon 2023

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2023

I think his interview after the conclusion of the match says more about the great man than how bang average people (of which I'm also one) try to portray him.

Humble, kind, considerate, fallible and full of praise even in defeat.

Some could learn a lot from such humility.

Still, I suppose it's easy to shout and scream nasty things about someone when you have absolutely no reference point to understand what it's like to achieve great things over 2 decades in a sport.

The smashing of the racket shows he cares...probably more than most. Imagine having such high standards for yourself. Nah I'll never experience or know what that feels like, either.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Impressionable kids will see his reaction and some will copy it , it’s not a good look no matter how he feels, petulant bellend behaviour is that whatever level of sport you play at .
    im sure Federer and Nadal care , I care when I play sport and have reacted like a bellend as well in the past doesn’t make it excusable .

• Options
    It's a lot easier to remember to be nice in an interview after a match, grace under pressure is more difficult.

You can care without smashing a racquet on the net post.
  • Options
    Impressionable kids will see his reaction and some will copy it , it’s not a good look no matter how he feels, petulant bellend behaviour is that whatever level of sport you play at .
    im sure Federer and Nadal care , I care when I play sport and have reacted like a bellend as well in the past doesn’t make it excusable .

To be fair I remember Federer being really stroppy when he was 19, 20, but he grew out of it.

Djokovic in his 9,148th grand slam final or whatever it is should know better.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Federer, Murray, Nadal and the GOAT have all smashed their rackets...along with pretty much all other top players.

Murray - 2023- Madrid Open
  • Options

Federer, Murray, Nadal and the GOAT have all smashed their rackets...along with pretty much all other top players.
    Yes I know and that was bellend behaviour by them at the time .
    He’s been there seen it done it and is experienced enough now to be above that on the biggest stage in the world .
    I expect better from the GOAT 

• Options
    Did not see Cliff Richard this year at Wimbledon.He has never missed in previous years.
  • Options
    If another of the new breed doesn't step up soon, Alcaraz could dominate in the coming years once Djokovic fades away.

He's already won on 2 surfaces, might have even won the French as well if he hadn't cramped up in the semi final v Djokovic. Insanely talented and given he's only 20 he's got plenty of time to improve even more. 

I don't see any of the new/younger guys being near his level yet.
  • Options
    If another of the new breed doesn't step up soon, Alcaraz could dominate in the coming years once Djokovic fades away.

He's already won on 2 surfaces, might have even won the French as well if he hadn't cramped up in the semi final v Djokovic. Insanely talented and given he's only 20 he's got plenty of time to improve even more. 

I rate Sinner, and he's younger than the ones who were supposed to be the big 'next generation', Tsitsipas, Thiem, Zverev etc.

But Alcaraz is on a different level and even younger.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would say one thing about the racket smash, the commentary was awful - "Oh it's OK, no one near it, he's human, he's dented the post but he can keep that and auction it off for his foundation" etc etc.

I'd bet if it was 90% of other players the commentary would have been a lot more critical.
  • Options

Yes I know and that was bellend behaviour by them at the time .
    He’s been there seen it done it and is experienced enough now to be above that on the biggest stage in the world .
    I expect better from the GOAT 

To be fair, and as I've said before, you/I/we have nothing when it comes to a reference point to be able to understand how we'd react in that situation. Easy to sit there sniping. I mean, you can't even post on here without swearing your head off...imaging what you'd be like on a tennis court in that situation  ;)  :D
    The difference is I accept I'm a cnut and don't minge and moan about the crowd not liking me cos i'm a twat 

on a serious note , most of the players don't realise that plenty of the crowd just want a longer match when they're playing,  so will cheer the underdog/ whoever's losing a bit more .

• Options

I think his interview after the conclusion of the match says more about the great man than how bang average people (of which I'm also one) try to portray him.

Humble, kind, considerate, fallible and full of praise even in defeat.

Some could learn a lot from such humility.

Still, I suppose it's easy to shout and scream nasty things about someone when you have absolutely no reference point to understand what it's like to achieve great things over 2 decades in a sport.

The smashing of the racket shows he cares...probably more than most. Imagine having such high standards for yourself. Nah I'll never experience or know what that feels like, either.

He's not all bad but knows how to play the nice guy when it suits him and he wants to. So glad Alcatraz won!
  • Options
    First men’s singles champion at Wimbledon that’s not Federer, Djokovic, Nadal or Murray in 21 years (Hewitt, 2002).
    Even more mad:

- When Federer started this streak in 2003, Carlos Alcaraz was eight weeks old.
  • Options
    Novak really is the tennis equivalent of Millwall, no one likes him, he don’t care.
    Didn't realise Millwall have won 23 titles.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Novak really is the tennis equivalent of Millwall, no one likes him, he don’t care.
    Didn't realise Millwall have won 23 titles.
    Family club of the year, that’s one.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    He should’ve been made to forfeit his final appearance money - reducing his payout from £1.175m to £600k.

The £575k leftover should’ve been given to grassroots tennis.
  • Options
    I’m not sure that Murray belongs in that Nadal/Federer/Djokovic cluster.  I can understand the sentiment though as he has given much pleasure to fans over many years.
    In terms of grand slam wins no,but Andy got to finals and semi finals and always gave a good account of himself and of course gave us a lot of pleasure and several heart attacks.Apart from the slams,he did have a reasonable record against the fabulous 3.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Bet they regret dumping Vondrousouva now. 
  • Options

I rate Sinner, and he's younger than the ones who were supposed to be the big 'next generation', Tsitsipas, Thiem, Zverev etc.

But Alcaraz is on a different level and even younger.
    I do like Sinner think he has bags of potential, he strikes the ball with such venom