Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Valley or Highbury?

A bit of a debate ongoing on a Facebook group as to whether or not this is the Valley -

Personally inclined to go with the Valley purely because there are trees at the back and can't remember there ever being trees on a hill anywhere around Highbury? 

Comments

• Options
    The building top left corner is the strange bit. I've never seen it before.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Definitely Highbury mate;

Football match : Arsenal Football Club versus Charlton Athletic Football Club at Highbury Stadium , London . Crowds watching the game . 1936

That was my first guess and Google confirmed it 🤷‍♂️

Edit; Damn Google 😤, I’ll ask the Mrs next time 😁.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Football match : Arsenal Football Club versus Charlton Athletic Football Club at Highbury Stadium , London . Crowds watching the game . 1936

That was my first guess and Google confirmed it 😉
    Yeah, someone pointed that out on the Facebook thread, but someone else said that that was the Getting Images description, and they're not too reliable. 

Looking at those trees suggests there's a hill behind the terraces and I thought the land around Highbury was flat

• Options
    Colour could be wrong as photo has been colourised 
  • Options
    Still looks to me the Sam Bartram entrance corner with old score board top left. What do other people think?
  • Options
    If it hadn’t been for the Gliksteins being tight and lacking vision it might well have been us that just missed out on winning the Premier League.
  • Options
    We played Arsenal at The Valley Oct 17 1936

At Highbury 24 Feb 1937 , take a look at the clothing is that correct for winter?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    If that is a train line in the bottom left corner, it has to be the Valley. 
  • Options
    Here is Highbury from the air. Could the building bottom left be the building in original picture? 
  • Options
    The Valley -

• Options
    The Valley
  • Options
    The Valley. 
  • Options
    Any fan that had visited The Valley when all we had was terrace, and the old seats in the west stand will say this picture is The Valley.

The old score board was still standing into the late 60s.

Look at photos of Highbury you see other scoreboards and other photos that show different fencing to The Valley.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Here is Highbury from the air. Could the building bottom left be the building in original picture? 
    The trees are to the right of the building in the original picture , so I don't think it is bottom left.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2023
    MrOneLung said:
    The trees are to the right of the building in the original picture , so I don't think it is bottom left.

It’s the orange brick coloured building top left of Gribbo’s post that is confusing things for me Nick, has the museum got any pictures showing that from 1936?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    It's not a building, it's the old half-time scoreboard. It has been colourised incorrectly.
    It is The Valley. Sure we have done this before on here.

Bingo, give the man the money 👏.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

But you being at this game makes you know for sure.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

But you being at this game makes you know for sure.
    Ha ha, afraid not, 20 years too early. My Dad would’ve been there though as an 18 year old 😉.
  • Options
    If its the 'Lost grounds' group on Facebook its probably Cathkin Park 
  • Options
    At first I was convinced it was the Valley, but taking a second look I have my doubts as the terrace appears to to finish level with the cinder track and the Valley terracing has always been raised above pitch level with a white wall.
  • Options
    It’s The Valley. There are plenty of pictures from different angles of the scoreboard to show it’s The Valley.

As an aside it looks fuck all like Highbury.

Whoever on whatever Facebook page is claiming it’s Highbury is clearly a no nothing fuckwit.
  • Options
    The walkway halfway up the east terrace is visible too i think as a line in the crowd.

If the scoreboard is the red building wrongly colourised to look like flats, what is the white structure to the right of it?