Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Skip-diving

Hey All,

Just asking out of curiosity.

Having some work done in garden and clearing out summer house. Chucked out a lawn mower and a metal frame, said to the guy we have hired to throw it in skip. He advised just leave it out front as gypsies will come and take it for free. Got a skip arrived at 8.30 this morning  low and behold by 9am the lawn mower and metal frame was gone.

Obviously its not a problem as just saves room in skip and was getting checked anyway. Just amazed how quick it went, can only assume they follow the skips in the morning ?

Any GRT on here or in trade know ?

Comments

• Options
    its not just gyspsys and travellers that collect scrap metal, many scrap metal collectors go out early in the morning and check the streets for metal  
  • Options
    They literally just drive around. 

I live in last house on the road, which is a dead end, so fairly tucked away. Left some bits outside and they were gone the same night. 
  • Options
    As Palarsehater said it could be anyone, i work on a council estate and there's numerous of people going round collecting scrap metal and copper from the back of fridge freezers.
  • Options
    Times are hard and all sorts of people are picking up scrap in their spare time to make a bit of cash.
    Was down in Folkestone a few months back at our other house and a fella stopped in his van.  He was a decorator coming back from another job and he said he was so skint he was doing the scrap just to help pay the bills at home.  He ended up taking the old washing machine and swimming pool sand filter which weighed an absolute ton.  God knows how we managed to get it in his van but we did.
  • Options
    its not just gyspsys and travellers that collect scrap metal, many scrap metal collectors go out early in the morning and check the streets for metal  
    Yeah fair enough i only mention Gypsies as thats what the guy we hired said
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Like the old rag n bone men. Used to be one in Chatlton with horse and cart. Remember him ringing his bell and shouting "oh yay". Pretty sure his son took over but used transit pickup
  • Options
    We took down an old garden shed yesterday had metal bed headrests car ramps and some other metal bits put them at the front of the house and gone within an hour
  • Options
    We have Eastern Europeans driving around in open backed vans. They stop at any house that has a skip in the front garden and have a rummage. Many of my neighbours just leave out want they want taken away, washing machines etc, and within an hour they’re gone 
  • Options
    They don't just take metal, we were having a new bath installed. The old fibre one was on the lawn for about 10mins before someone took it.
  • Options
    ?Is there much money in that sort of thing?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Like the old rag n bone men. Used to be one in Chatlton with horse and cart. Remember him ringing his bell and shouting "oh yay". Pretty sure his son took over but used transit pickup
    Wow, I think I remember him in Bromley in the 60s. Oh Yay!
  • Options
    ?Is there much money in that sort of thing?
    Scrap metal fetching about £120 per ton at the moment. 
  • Options
    Over the past year I've had about 6 skips, after the first one I learnt to leave anything metal out front as otherwise they just climb in and make a mess!

They just drive around and once they know you are having work done and skips they'll pass by daily.
  • Options
    Pretty much any time we've had metal to get rid off it's gone same day when we put it out the front. One guy been driving regularly for years picking stuff up.

Just had building work done and we've had people digging through the skips to pick out other stuff they think might be of use. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Used to pass our place in Victoria Way Charlton when I was a kid.  
  • Options
    where there's muck (or plastic/metal scrap) there's money (for somebody)  :)
  • Options
    when i worked for a plumbing firm in kensington we used to have a father and son who were traditional rag n bone men come round regular they had a yard in new cross but they were so traditional, this was a few years back and the dad wasnt young then - edit just looked and they are still going there yard is called alladins cave and backs on to the railway tracks. 

regarding the prices your looking at about

£60.00-100.00 per ton of light iron ( your metal everyday home objects such as tv stands, garden furniture etc ) 

do a couple of full vans a day you would be surprised how much you can get. 

• Options
    Great song title
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fair enough if they take it from outside the front of the house. However we had somebody go round the back into somebody's back garden when they were having work done. Group of neighbours stopped and confronted him before the police were called!
  • Options
    Great song title
    Could be the sequel to the novel 'Do androids dream of electric sheep?'
  • Options
    Any metal goes around Bromley, Chislehurst, people have mowers and bikes taken when they pop indoors for 5 minutes. 
  • Options
    I was loading a skip a few months ago clearing my mates yard out,I found an old cast iron water tank buried,I dragged it to the skip and pulled/pushed it up the scaffold boards. It weighed an absolute ton,nearly gave myself a hernia. Went for a cuppa and returned 10 minutes later,fuckers had taken it off the skip. They must've been watching me and laughing their bollocks off!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Gribbo said:
    Wow, I think I remember him in Bromley in the 60s. Oh Yay!
    His horse just about made it up Pound Park, don't think it would've got to Bromley
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I've put plenty of things out the front, an old oven, extractor fan hood, radiator bits of a shower door etc. and all been gone within an hour

There are loads of skips near us, I'm talking 30 within a 5 min walk. I use my daily get away from my desk walk to dip into the skips and grab any bits that I want. Mostly bits of timber offcuts that I can use for various projects (or just burn in the fire pit). I've actually got so much from them I've been able to do some projects exclusively from scraps picked up. Plenty of 4x2 timber offcuts to be found which are like gold dust with the price of materials at the moment. I've recently found a few part opened boxes of tiles in a skip so I grabbed those. Planning on building a timber framed outdoor kitchen with a tiled top and a rough timber cladding/shelving purely from reclaimed materials. 

The best find I had was 2 Dewalt Tstak tool boxes chucked in a skip. Both with very minor breaks that didn't bother me. Gave them a clean up and got myself more than £100 of toolbox. Happy days. 

Plenty of gold to be found in skips. Saves cash and the environment through reduced waste. 
  • Options
    Had some old aluminium frame windows replaced, as the replacement was happening someone came and offered me £20 for them. Was quite happy with that as I just wanted rid! :)