Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Forest Green to appoint a female manager?

2»

Comments

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Poor old Sol, whats he got to do to get a job.
    Even employing women in front of him now!

On a serious note, good on her and best of luck.  I'm just surprised Emma Hayes wasnt the first lady to manage a mens team.

When Emma Hayes name was mentioned as a Candidate for Wimbledon a couple of years ago, she quite rightly felt insulted. She had taken Chelsea women to a Champion League final and had been a well qualified coach for 20 years so she wasn't impressed. To go from working with Elite women footballers to journeyman League 1 and 2 really isn't a promotion. 

As long as Women can put up with "you don't know what your doing" when they are on a losing run then fine.

In 2023 many people are struggling with biology and the difference with men and women BUT I would think if a female coach has worked with male footballers in her coaching for a number of years then she will be in a stronger and easier position to work as a coach in full time professional mens football as the banter and male egos they will be use too.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    sam3110 said:
    Why did big dunc get dismissed at this time?
    One win in 18 I believe.
    Then fire him immediately after the last game of the season. The fact they waited 2 months suggests something else might have happened.
    The cynical part of me thinks the owner knew that an announcement like this would come with a fair bit of publicity and he’s wanting to make a statement with it.

Wouldn’t really be a good look if he made her the first ever female manager of a men’s first team right after the season finished and then replaced her with a permanent hire before she’d even got a game of pre season. 
  • Options
    Good luck to her.  She is going to be under a lot of scrutiny and will be held up as a reason why "women can't manage in the men's game" every time there is a problem, sadly, so I hope she makes a success of it.
  • Options
    Is this a serious appointment or a bit of free publicity for the club/owner?
  • Options
    Is this a serious appointment or a bit of free publicity for the club/owner?
    I wondered that. Hate to be cynical and if she’s the best person for the job then great and good luck to her, but at this point with the whole vegan thing etc you can’t help but wonder if they’re just doing things for attention.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    JohnBoyUK said:

On a serious note, good on her and best of luck.  I'm just surprised Emma Hayes wasnt the first lady to manage a mens team.

When Emma Hayes name was mentioned as a Candidate for Wimbledon a couple of years ago, she quite rightly felt insulted. She had taken Chelsea women to a Champion League final and had been a well qualified coach for 20 years so she wasn't impressed. To go from working with Elite women footballers to journeyman League 1 and 2 really isn't a promotion. 

As long as Women can put up with "you don't know what your doing" when they are on a losing run then fine.

In 2023 many people are struggling with biology and the difference with men and women BUT I would think if a female coach has worked with male footballers in her coaching for a number of years then she will be in a stronger and easier position to work as a coach in full time professional mens football as the banter and male egos they will be use too.
    You cannot compare Chelsea women to Wimbledon men's. So it isn't insulting at all. Hayes doesnt have any experience within mens football (as far as im aware), so to presume she should be getting a top job would be insulting. The same as when Neville should never have been given the England womens role.

I have absolutely no doubt that a female coach would have no problem transitioning to the men's game, however I would be fascinated to see how they would get on with the emotional management involved. A lot of young men look at a manager almost as a father figure status off the pitch, so would be interesting to see how it would go with a male/female dynamic.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

A lot of young men look at a manager almost as a father figure status off the pitch, so would be interesting to see how it would go with a male/female dynamic.
    And thats the problem right there.
  • Options
    My cynicism tells me this is another headline grabbing notion from Owner Vince .. he's making a big play in the political arena and Veganism and feminism are SOOOOOO right on and politically cool for the Lib Dems n Greens

• Options
    Hannah Dingley has a UEFA Pro Licence, and if she succeeds or fails it won't be because of her gender.

Hannah was the academy manager so that is the gamble, not that she is a woman and being the first female manager, of a EFL league team, even if just interim for now, will court plenty of publicity.
    Sadly I think her gender will have a massive impact on her success, or lack of. 

Not because woman are worse managers, simply down to the added attention, abuse and scrutiny being female will bring. 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    JohnBoyUK said:

You cannot compare Chelsea women to Wimbledon men's. So it isn't insulting at all. Hayes doesnt have any experience within mens football (as far as im aware), so to presume she should be getting a top job would be insulting. The same as when Neville should never have been given the England womens role.

I have absolutely no doubt that a female coach would have no problem transitioning to the men's game, however I would be fascinated to see how they would get on with the emotional management involved. A lot of young men look at a manager almost as a father figure status off the pitch, so would be interesting to see how it would go with a male/female dynamic.

I think we may agree on this.
    I'm not saying Emma Hayes should get a top men job, I'm saying she quite rightly felt insulted after reading her words that why would she want to coach men's football if she was at a high level anyway in the female game. Really difficult to equate mens and woman's football and the issues that will arise as a head coach. Going from period issues for the girls to knife crime and gangs with the lads from the big cities. The football is the easy bit compared to life problems for youngsters.
    I have said that woman coaches will find their journey easier if they have worked in boys/youth football and work their way up.

My son works in academy football and going around the Professional academies from Chelsea to Salford said he is seeing more female coaches who coach both boys and girls in the younger age groups.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No reason women can't do the job if they're given the chance. They just have to overcome the prejudice from all the dinosaurs in football who would be willing them to fail.

• Options
    I imagine most players are more open to it than a lot of fans who dismiss the idea of a woman coaching a men’s team. 

I’ve been lucky enough to take my coaching badges over the last few years and some of the best coaches I’ve had mentor me through that have been women. Best coach I’ve ever had is a woman. She was at Donny at the time and was part of the England setup for their Euros win. 
  • Options
    remember the Manageress (term probably taboo in 2023)  T V series ? .. that all went very well of course

The Manageress - Wikipedia

• Options
    Will watch with interest.
    I truly wonder how the players feel about it?
    Wishing her the very best 🙏🏻
    I imagine they will not be too concerned, for them it is a job.  IF she starts, I'll give her till Christmas maximum.
  • Options
    remember the Manageress (term probably taboo in 2023)  T V series ? .. that all went very well of course

The Manageress - Wikipedia

Cherie Lunghi was extremely fit.
  • Options
    I imagine most players are more open to it than a lot of fans who dismiss the idea of a woman coaching a men’s team. 

I’ve been lucky enough to take my coaching badges over the last few years and some of the best coaches I’ve had mentor me through that have been women. Best coach I’ve ever had is a woman. She was at Donny at the time and was part of the England setup for their Euros win. 

In my 50 year working life in various jobs all my best managers have been women.
  • Options
    Some really good discussion on this thread. Got to wish her luck, be good if she does well.
  • Options
    If they came through the Academy under her positive probably.
  • Options

In my 50 year working life in various jobs all my best managers have been women.
    Same. And it’s not even close. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some really good discussion on this thread. 
    Cheers mate
  • Options
    The picture is of Emma Hayes
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    1-1 draw yesterday in opening friendly.

Have to see how this one plays out. For all the positivity in which football community is giving out we shall see if it’s more than just words. For example, would charlton be happy sending their youth players on loan to Forest Green instead of Swindon, Newport etc. All lower leagues clubs run on connection so shall see how the football community responds.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Some really good discussion on this thread. 
    Cheers mate
    I gave your comment a "LOL" too Rob, so you wouldn't feel left out...  :D  
  • Options
    If it was going to happen anywhere in senior English men’s football it was a good bet it would be Forest Green Rovers first.
    We have been used to women’s teams coached and managed by men in the past and that hasn’t elicited much comment.
    I would love this to be a positive appointment.
  • Options
    If she can keep Big Ryan fit and on the pitch, she’ll have done well, all the best Hannah.
    We kept him fit in the end didn't we?
    Good luck Hannah!
  • Options
    Pretty sure once they stop giggling they'll get used to it, especially if they get a few results.
  • Options
    This reminded me of the Two Ronnies classic - The Worm that Turned.

https://youtu.be/GcMd1F1acSo