Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie May - signed for Birmingham (p56 - confirmed & video message from him)

Comments

• Options
    Unless May or his wife want to move back up north, or he has been offered a new contract at Huddersfield far in excess of what he is earning here, then letting him go is madness.

And if we are somehow pushing him out or encouraging him to go then it is utter madness.

And Huddersfield.  Oh come on. They've already "stolen" Grant and Sarr off of us and now it looks like they may take May as well. The fact we can't compete with them shows just how far we have fallen.
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    mendonca said:
    Surprised Huddersfield gave him permission to play a game of cricket!
    they probably don’t know!
    Probably do now
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    mendonca said:
    And why would he tell people in earshot . It’s another Twitter bullshitter. 
    Why mug yourself off and put that out there then if he does not believe what he heard? 

Time will tell if he goes or not 
    It happens all the time on twitter . I have no idea why people do it. Attention seeking i guess. 
  • Options
    I have a feeling we might go for Matt Golden as a replacement. I think Coventry will let him go and he is a similar player. If we get some extra money to further improve the squad I am prepared to trust Nathan.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    I have a feeling we might go for Matt Golden as a replacement. I think Coventry will let him go and he is a similar player. If we get some extra money to further improve the squad I am prepared to trust Nathan.
    Good striker but he's 33 next month. I'd stick with Alfie
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    mendonca said:
    Why mug yourself off and put that out there then if he does not believe what he heard? 

It happens all the time on twitter . I have no idea why people do it. Attention seeking i guess. 
    I see you have already given it to him on there
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    mendonca said:

I see you have already given it to him on there
    Told him i thought it was BS . I hope i'm not proven wrong. 
  • Options
    Unless May or his wife want to move back up north, or he has been offered a new contract at Huddersfield far in excess of what he is earning here, then letting him go is madness.

And if we are somehow pushing him out or encouraging him to go then it is utter madness.

And Huddersfield.  Oh come on. They've already "stolen" Grant and Sarr off of us and now it looks like they may take May as well. The fact we can't compete with them shows just how far we have fallen.
    Both of those reasons could quite likely be true.

There's also the fact that the Huddersfield manager is his old manager at Cheltenham so you'd think he'd probably prefer to play for him than for Jones who he reportedly doesn't really get on with.
  • Options

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well he would be due back unless he's sold in the meantime.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    Only time will tell if Alfie May is going to be our player next season. One thing is certain, though - it is highly unlikely that Charlton could attract a proven striker who is likely to replicate Alfie’s League 1 goalscoring record. 

It’s hard to fathom why any team serious about promotion would be prepared to cash in on one of their very best players.
    It is baffling, you could understand it if we got a good offer from a Championship club, but selling him to a side in the same division when you're hoping to be promotion rivals with them is madness.

The only argument for him going is if he's told the club he wants to leave.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    Only time will tell if Alfie May is going to be our player next season. One thing is certain, though - it is highly unlikely that Charlton could attract a proven striker who is likely to replicate Alfie’s League 1 goalscoring record. 

It’s hard to fathom why any team serious about promotion would be prepared to cash in on one of their very best players.
    It is baffling, you could understand it if we got a good offer from a Championship club, but selling him to a side in the same division when you're hoping to be promotion rivals with them is madness.

The only argument for him going is if he's told the club he wants to leave.
    Thats what I was trying to express earlier on the other thread - He would become Hudds' most important player in an instant - arguably in the long run he would be more valuable for us just sitting on our bench all year than banging in goals left right and centre for a promotion rival. Make it make sense somebody!!!???
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    JaShea99 said:
    cfgs said:
    I like May, his workrate is great, his goal return better but sometimes his touch is terrible. If we are offered 1.5 Million that can be used elsewhere then we would be mad to say no.
    Honestly, reading stuff like this makes me think some of our fans deserve the absolute shambles our club has been in for the last god knows how many years.
    Genuine question, how much do you think he is worth?  He might be trying to get the move done for all we know.  I just think if, and it is a big if, the fee is one and a half million that is a huge markup.  We need a squad not a couple of decent players and a load of chaff, if he does go hopefully it is spent well.  But all is good as Ronnie assures us he is staying and is happy in all the different houses he owns around Kent.
    3m

Not a penny less
  • Options
    What are 20 goals worth? Priceless. In my opinion if we let May go then we will be stuck in Div 1 for yet another season.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    Apart from seriously damaging our prospects on the field, Alfie May’s departure is hardly going to encourage people who are currently undecided to take the plunge and invest in a season ticket; quite the contrary.

When have Charlton ever really prospered after selling their best players ?

The owners and the SMT (in whom I very very little confidence) have just presided over our worst season for 98 years. In addition to finishing 16th, we were convincingly knocked out of 3 cup competitions by 4th tier opponents. Whilst Nathan Jones did very well to keep us in the division, the owners, together with the likes of Scott and Rodwell really need to shape up and get this club moving in an upward trajectory, failing which we are going to further reinforce our current status as League 1 also-rans. Selling our top scorer is most certainly not going to help.
    We’re not Real Madrid - we’re always dealing with selling our best players. That hasn’t prevented the team achieving anything in the past, otherwise this club’s history would’ve just been a continuous downward spiral into oblivion.
  • Options
    edited June 22
    Blucher said:
    Apart from seriously damaging our prospects on the field, Alfie May’s departure is hardly going to encourage people who are currently undecided to take the plunge and invest in a season ticket; quite the contrary.

When have Charlton ever really prospered after selling their best players ?

The owners and the SMT (in whom I very very little confidence) have just presided over our worst season for 98 years. In addition to finishing 16th, we were convincingly knocked out of 3 cup competitions by 4th tier opponents. Whilst Nathan Jones did very well to keep us in the division, the owners, together with the likes of Scott and Rodwell really need to shape up and get this club moving in an upward trajectory, failing which we are going to further reinforce our current status as League 1 also-rans. Selling our top scorer is most certainly not going to help.
     The big push to sell season tickets a few weeks ago and the premise from the manager to the players (May incidentally!)to Methven telling us all that things are going to be so much better next season never washed with me. It smacked of desperation to be honest.
    Money still firmly secured in wallet I'm afraid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If he goes , that video of him phoning people up asking fans if they will be renewing their season tickets and telling them that he’s staying , is going to be an extremely embarrassing. 
    Can remember Lennie asking for us to buy ST, then disappearing up north the next day.
  • Options
    If he goes , that video of him phoning people up asking fans if they will be renewing their season tickets and telling them that he’s staying , is going to be an extremely embarrassing. 
    Can remember Lennie asking for us to buy ST, then disappearing up north the next day.
    It really spoiled the legacy of LL for me.
  • Options
    Not really, things change in football and at a league one level all players are for sale 
  • Options
    If selling Alfie is anything to do with finances then Small and Leaburn with 12 months to run on their contracts and having value will both be gone by the end of the window too if they have not re-signed.

• Options
    Not really, things change in football and at a league one level all players are for sale 
    everyone is for sale at the right price, but usually means to teams way up the pyramid... not ones youre competing with 
  • Options
    edited June 23
    shine166 said:
    everyone is for sale at the right price, but usually means to teams way up the pyramid... not ones youre competing with 
    That’s true of course, but price is determined by what someone’s willing to pay. May’s slightly strange circumstances in that he has a proven record of goal scoring in the third tier, but no experience above it, and also his age mean that his market value is unusually low. Whatever money we get for him needs to be able to replace him and strengthen the team in other areas*. I simply don’t believe he can command that sort of fee. 

*if we just get brought to replace him, if he can be replaced, then we might as well keep him