Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie May - signed for Birmingham (p56 - confirmed & video message from him)

1585960616264»

Comments

• Options
    Not read the thread so apologies if this repeas anything. I wish Alfie all the best. He played his heart out last season in a mediocre team and his passion on the pitch was infectious. I have watched the farewell message on the club's website, and it sounds as if his Mrs has put the pressure on. He's done the right thing by us, and we've made some money. If he had stayed, with the family moving away, the off-field stuff could well have affected his performances. Not sure about selling to a direct rival for this season but if he wanted to leave you can only sell to parties that are interested at the right price. Shame really. I'm sure he'll score against us, ex-Addicks always seem to, and hope the fans given him a warm welcome back at the Valley when we play Brum. 
  • Options
    If it is true then this reminds me of the Peter Ridsdale lunacy at Leeds. In what world when told another club has offered 8k a week to a league one striker do you go and offer him 16k?! Plus bonuses. 

Surely 10k or at most 12k would've done it. A potential 20k a week when you factor in bonuses for a striker who will still be under contract there when he's 34 doesn't bode well and would likely also lead to other new signings demanding similar.

I'm quite sure they're not paying him that much.
  • Options
    edited July 4

Doesn't look entirely happy I must say, just realised where he is, and who can blame him having to wear that crap shirt...😫

...Maybe the £££££'s will make him a bit happier
  • Options
    It's far too soon for me to move on but it's sad that a prolific scorer couldn't fit a system 🤔 
    Could just be age and I don't go so regular but I have just shrugged it off as we just never hold on to players now. The only time we did was in the Premier other than Scott tantrum Parker who forced the club's hand.

The player are only ever passing through so it's best not to get attached or get their tattoo on your Arse.
  • Options
    edited July 4
    I honestly hope he kicks on and does well at Birmingham.  Seems like an honest, hard-working, genuine guy.  Usually I don't feel that way about ex-players!  

However, I've just got a  feeling that May and the Brum fans might not bond in quite the same way we did.  

His wages, the fans' expectations, (League 1 not quite being the walk-over most Champ teams think it will be - one look at Twitter shows Brum have fallen into this trap), being last season's top scorer etc - there is real pressure on May to perform from Day 1. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the goals Alfie .. Like the months and seasons (saith the poet), May has gone, time moves on and now we have a couple of very good signings to play the striker role 
  • Options
    🤔 -

• Options
    is it correct that Cheltenham thought there would be no chance of a sell on clause so didn’t ask for one?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrWalker said:
    is it correct that Cheltenham thought there would be no chance of a sell on clause so didn’t ask for one?
    No, 20% of profit 
  • Options
    edited July 4
    Gribbo said:
    🤔 -

If (big if) May got a £3m+ contract from a League 1 club, fair play to him.
  • Options
    felix_31 said:
    I honestly hope he kicks on and does well at Birmingham.  Seems like an honest, hard-working, genuine guy.  Usually I don't feel that way about ex-players!  

However, I've just got a  feeling that May and the Brum fans might not bond in quite the same way we did.  

His wages, the fans' expectations, (League 1 not quite being the walk-over most Champ teams think it will be - one look at Twitter shows Brum have fallen into this trap), being last season's top scorer etc - there is real pressure on May to perform from Day 1. 
    I absolutely loath Birmingham City for several reasons, so unfortunately I can’t wish him well.
  • Options
    Let it go and close the thread... we have Gass & Matt, plus our other 3 CF's... 
  • Options
    After completing his move, May said: “I’m delighted to be here. I’m a local lad, so to come back home with my family means a lot.

12 months later:

“It’s a difficult one for me because I’m leaving my hometown, but it’s football and I’m doing it for my family. Hopefully I leave on good terms. It’s only been a year, but it’s a year that I won’t forget. I thank everyone for the support and the love they showed me since I first signed.”

Does he come from the Traveller community? 
  • Options
    After completing his move, May said: “I’m delighted to be here. I’m a local lad, so to come back home with my family means a lot.

12 months later:

“It’s a difficult one for me because I’m leaving my hometown, but it’s football and I’m doing it for my family. Hopefully I leave on good terms. It’s only been a year, but it’s a year that I won’t forget. I thank everyone for the support and the love they showed me since I first signed.”

Does he come from the Traveller community? 
    He's a footballer.
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited 12:38AM
    His wife couldn’t settle down here. That’s huge. Mums very often want to be close to their mums when they have young kids. For the support etc., etc. 
    All the best Alfie. And thanks for the memories..

• Options
    I did t realise until I checked it for myself… the drive from Birmingham to Doncaster is also only about 30 minutes longer than the drive from Huddersfield to Doncaster.