Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie May - signed for Birmingham (p56 - confirmed & video message from him)

Comments

• Options
    chev said:
    Jones better know what he's doing if that's the case 🤦‍♂️
  • Options
    I’m told it’s £1m and he’s on £15k per week 
  • Options
    Saw on fb earlier the clip of him phoning season ticket holders and telling a fan he definitely wasn’t moving 

Definitely pushed good luck Alfie 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    se9addick said:
    I really can’t, regardless of how Jones wants to play, see any upside of selling a guaranteed 20+ goals a season striker to a supposed promotion rival.
    Because we were being offered decent dough for a player who wanted to move maybe?

One would hope that between Rodwell and Jones, theres alread a good replcement lined up
    Yeah I would 'hope'.
    However, I do not 'expect'
  • Options
    chev said:
    Seems to be the consensus. Jones backing himself here. Promotion or it’s failure. That was the case even with May. 

There is no replacement in the squad. Leaburn and Aneke can’t stay fit, and even if they could, neither of them are getting 25+ goals - I doubt they could even do that between them. Kanu is a raw talent who probably isn’t ready for a promotion contending team. 

Even if you say “OK, if we get goals across the rest of the team, we only need 15 from any replacement.” - is that even happening? Can Leaburn do that? Are there goals in our midfield? 

Goalscorers are hard to find. We had the best one outside of The Championship and we’ve let him go to a promotion rival. 

What happens if Jones is sacked by January? It’s not an impossible scenario with this ownership group. 

I don’t think promotion is a realistic aim for this club now. 
  • Options
    May could not have gone yet because NJ assured us he would not go until we had a replacement. Surely he would not lie or have we signed a striker and not been told 🥴
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This will be the stick the fans beat Nathan Jones with and quite rightly so . A terrible decision . 
    20+ goals a season strikers are like rocking horse shit and £800K will never replace that . 
    Shame on you Jones 
    How do we know that Alfie didn't have certain clauses in his contract so allowing him to leave? Not saying he did but do we know he didn't? Anyhow if he's now on 11k pw and a three year deal and he knew that was in offer why keep an unhappy player? And let's see who we replace him with first eh?

Not saying I'm happy with this but can see both sides of the coin and if he's family is know back in Yorkshire then Birmingham is certainly a lot closer than Snodland is.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I really can’t, regardless of how Jones wants to play, see any upside of selling a guaranteed 20+ goals a season striker to a supposed promotion rival.
    In Aneke I trust.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    chev said:
    Jones better know what he's doing if that's the case 🤦‍♂️
    100% 

Looks like terrible business until we have a replacement and / or a sufficient squad meaning his goals are irrelevant and the goals he'll bang in for promotion rivals Birmingham are irrelevant.

• Options
    Said it before, but NJ has got some bollocks I'll give him that....hope he knows what he's doing, IMO he's put himself under unnecessary pressure with the decision.

He needs a fast start to the season that's for sure.

Still back the manager as it would seem he's got previous for this (with Luton) and that didn't turn out too bad.
  • Options
    Isn’t this the financial model of our owners though? Operating losses covered / offset from player sales?
  • Options
    Jones needs to be in the top six and touching the top two by Xmas or he’s under serious pressure and he’ll only have himself to blame. 
  • Options
    Isn’t this the financial model of our owners though? Operating losses covered / offset from player sales?
    But not to stand still in league one surely which is financially disastrous.

Why buy a club just to fester in league one. Progress up to championship surely is the key objective.

Whether this business will help achieve that objective will be seen in the coming months but from a layman's point of view seems mad to offload league's top goalscorer to promotion rivals assuming promotion is the aim.
  • Options
    In January I couldn’t see how May would leave, I thought he was worth more than anyone would pay.

Shows how much money there is in football when there are one or two L1 clubs who will pay £1m or close to it for a striker in his 30s with no Championship experience. 

I have doubts about him at Championship level but he is as close as we can get to guaranteed goals in a player at this level, Birmingham will do what I hoped we’d do and worry about that when they get there.

We need to replace him with two good strikers that leave us stronger overall. Big ask but we’ll see.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    well it seems his salary has risen £4k @ week just in the last 15 mins....;)
  • Options
    edited July 1
    I’m not not sure any blame can lay at the owners door . NJ already said no pressure to sell and the owners have already  shown to put their hand in their pocket in the past . This decision would be down to NJ or May . Probably a combination of both.

All the owners could then do was hold out for the best price which is probably what they got.
  • Options
    But not to stand still in league one surely which is financially disastrous.

Why buy a club just to fester in league one. Progress up to championship surely is the key objective.

Whether this business will help achieve that objective will be seen in the coming months but from a layman's point of view seems mad to offload league's top goalscorer to promotion rivals assuming promotion is the aim.
    Because those running the day to day are on a wage and the owners who put up cash are very distant and just took a small punt. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    A forward line of Leaburn and Chuks could be brilliant, if they both kept fit for the whole season.

I sincerely hope we're not banking on that.
    Big concern if we are. Big fan of Chuks but he won't be fit all season, that's sadly close to a guarantee. 
  • Options
    chev said:
    Seems to be the consensus. Jones backing himself here. Promotion or it’s failure. That was the case even with May. 

There is no replacement in the squad. Leaburn and Aneke can’t stay fit, and even if they could, neither of them are getting 25+ goals - I doubt they could even do that between them. Kanu is a raw talent who probably isn’t ready for a promotion contending team. 

Even if you say “OK, if we get goals across the rest of the team, we only need 15 from any replacement.” - is that even happening? Can Leaburn do that? Are there goals in our midfield? 

Goalscorers are hard to find. We had the best one outside of The Championship and we’ve let him go to a promotion rival. 

What happens if Jones is sacked by January? It’s not an impossible scenario with this ownership group. 

If Leaburn stays fit I think he can get 20 (he got 12 as an 18 year old playing his first season of men’s football), but that should be a bonus rather than something we rely on with his fitness record 

• Options
    Scoham said:
    In January I couldn’t see how May would leave, I thought he was worth more than anyone would pay.

Shows how much money there is in football when there are one or two L1 clubs who will pay £1m or close to it for a striker in his 30s with no Championship experience. 

I have doubts about him at Championship level but he is as close as we can get to guaranteed goals in a player at this level, Birmingham will do what I hoped we’d do and worry about that when they get there.

We need to replace him with two good strikers that leave us stronger overall. Big ask but we’ll see.
    He doesn’t need to be Championship level. He’s a proven League One goalscorer. I’d also bet anyone that can score 23 league goals in the third tier could probably do a half decent job in The Championship. 
    I agree, like I said Birmingham will worry about that when they get there. BWP was similar in that way but we needed him to get promoted.
  • Options
    edited July 1
    NabySarr said:
    chev said:

If Leaburn stays fit I think he can get 20 (he got 12 as an 18 year old playing his first season of men’s football), but that should be a bonus rather than something we rely on with his fitness record 

That’s a big if. And agree, we be shouldn’t relying on Leaburn.