Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie May - signed for Birmingham (p56 - confirmed)

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Promotion or you can’t justify it. 
    What if we're a losing playoff team? 3rd to 6th would be a slight improvement over the season where we actually had May
    Unless his replacement scores a lot, the argument at that stage would likely be that May might have made the difference between 3rd and 2nd etc.
    No doubt they’ll be compared in that simple way but we can expect his replacement to bring different attributes - for example we might concede fewer goals because they help defensively at set pieces by winning a lot of headers.

We also be aiming to have five good strikers who rotate more often and share the goals between them.
  • Options
    I really don't get selling Alfie, it was clear last season that Jones was freezing him out, by making him play out of position, take corners and throw ins. 

I also don't understand the people supporting getting rid of him, or can't see that he's been pushed out.

However, I've decided to cling on to the devastating time that Hales was moved on, and Flanagan stepped up and shone. A little more recently,  we lost Mendonca and Hunt was an absolute star after that.

In both cases I think that the replacements were better all round players, although I personally think that Alfie is already that all round player, but fingers crossed 🤞. 
  • Options
    edited June 29
    Birmingham is a bit closer to the North but it appears we just want rid / need to sell.....
  • Options
    edited June 29
    Doncaster to Birmingham 1 hour 45 minutes
    Doncaster to Huddersfield 1 hour 15 minutes 
    Not exactly round the corner
  • Options
    I really don't get selling Alfie, it was clear last season that Jones was freezing him out, by making him play out of position, take corners and throw ins. 
    Not as if the other players were looking like they’d forgotten the basics and Alfie was the only one left to fill the gaps or to take them…
  • Options
    I can’t understand him going either. But, I know Jones wants someone up there who the ball will stick to. That’s certainly not Alfie but I would have thought he could play alongside someone like that. Alfie is a pure poacher. We’ve not had a striker like that for a long while. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Greenie said:
    Ive not had a ST for a few seasons now due to the mismanagement of our club, Jones management style and the way he turned us around last season persuaded me to get one this season.
     If it’s true that May is going then I’ll keep my dough in my pocket, so it looks like another season watching on the firestick FFS.
    So your decision to buy a season ticket is down to whether one player is sold or not !!?? 
    Yes I’ve had a right big boy sulk and hissy fit over it!
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    Feels a bit like our mate Pete has leaked that for us to push Huddersfield to up their bid again. If Duff wants him that much, which he apparently does, and Alfie would rather be nearer to his wife's family then we could squeeze an extra bit of money out of Huddersfield this way
  • Options
    I'm still trying to work out how, according to rumours on here, we turned down £800k to now be expected to accept offers of £750k and £775k.
    It's all very strange.  :(
  • Options
    Fancied Birmingham to go straight back up anyway, so probably better he goes there than Huddersfield - who I think will find it harder going. 
  • Options
    Cheltenham Cawley saying they’ll get 15% of any profit which will be about 75k
  • Options
    Anyone in that season ticket renewal video must be livid.

When  a player wants to go, there's little you can do about it. This must be May's decision. Anything else is unfathomable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    I'm still trying to work out how, according to rumours on here, we turned down £800k to now be expected to accept offers of £750k and £775k.
    It's all very strange.  :(
    Regardless, none of those values are near to enough. We won’t be able to replace May for that money, let alone replace May and still have money left over to strengthen somewhere else.

Completely ridiculous if we end up doing this. 

It will be undisclosed … we most likey already spent it anyway on 2 new strikers coming in 

• Options
    He’s gone. I know his brothers. And he’s also mates with one of my pals from work. I’ve been told it’s done and he’s getting 2 years there and more money. Also his northern wife wants out of London. 
    Where’s he gone though?
  • Options

It time to let May go and join his family and wish him all the best , we will never know if Jones telling him he would not be a starter this season caused the family unrest … we need to move forward for Jones who made a brave call but not a ridiculous one as some think , if he don’t think May was suitable for the way he wants to play then that’s 100% fine he the boss … let’s see where we are at the end of the window sure the squad will look at lot different and stronger then it does now .. Jones asked to be trusted in the decisions he making to make us better .. the owners and the board trust him and back him time for the supporters to do the same 

Don't you say the same thing about every owner and manager?
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Cloudworm said:
    I don't get it. Somebody please explain why Jones possibly doesn't like the league's top scorer and how he wouldn't fit him in the team.
    I’ve no idea . It’s baffling 
    ...and most likely, bollocks.
    How do you explain Jones regularly sidelining him at the back-end of the season? If you have a good explanation, please pass it to Sir Alan Curbishley, who was as baffled as most of us.
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    Cheltenham Cawley saying they’ll get 15% of any profit which will be about 75k
    IF this is correct, this confirms £750,000 fee, but he may be only going by the same reports we are of course.

Assuming the following:
    Original fee £250,000

Sale income £750,000
    Gross profit £500,000
    Less 15% clause £75,000
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Cloudworm said:
    I don't get it. Somebody please explain why Jones possibly doesn't like the league's top scorer and how he wouldn't fit him in the team.
    I’ve no idea . It’s baffling 
    ...and most likely, bollocks.
    How do you explain Jones regularly sidelining him at the back-end of the season? If you have a good explanation, please pass it to Sir Alan Curbishley, who was as baffled as most of us.
    Cause I don’t think a Jones side has been successful with a May type striker, and it doesn’t fit the way he wants to play.

i find the transfer unsurprising to be honest, the writing was on the wall when May got the hook at home to Lincoln, and I always expected us to start this year with two big physical strikers, and an expectation that we would get more from midfield. 
  • Options
    Jones has said there's no financial reason to sell any players, so surely there's no reason to accept £750-800k. We are in a strong position to hold out for a £1m+ fee. If the sides who want him aren't willing to pay it then he will have to stay with us as per the contract he signed only last year.