Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie May - signed for Birmingham (p56 - confirmed & video message from him)

Comments

• Options
    Completely bizarre video lol 
    I thought he’d signed for Birmingham not passed away! 
  • Options
    And a potential deal of over 1 mill if Birmingham get promoted … 
    Tbf, not sure why people are giving this lols, rich Crawley tweeted over 1mil including achievable add-ons. I'd guess those are probably promotion and golden boot.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Tbf, not sure why people are giving this lols, rich Crawley tweeted over 1mil including achievable add-ons. I'd guess those are probably promotion and golden boot.
    Which he'll probably achieve, certainly the first one
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    He looks really upset 
    Not sure why if it was his choice 
    Because he didn’t think he had any alternative other than to leave?
  • Options
    Good luck Alfie. Thanks for scoring the goals that kept us up. 
  • Options
    Bit much that video wasn't it, he was only here a year!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck Alfie. Classy video and he looks cut up about it but to be fair he didn’t think he had any choice other than to leave because of the reasons stated. I wish him all the best, the shining light in what was otherwise a dismal season.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Thanks Alfie, and good luck for the future 😭 

So, it turns out it weren't down to the Gaffer not rating him, or the nasty man in the pink trousers cashing in. Live and learn....... 🙄
    It absolutely was. 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    Put in a request to move himself according to the club

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/alfie-may-joins-birmingham-city
    Key words there 'according to the club'. 

Not the first time we've tried to spin something to make us look good. 
    I don’t think that’s something they’d lie about.
  • Options
    I mean he could have just said that he's getting a massive payrise towards the end of his career and I wouldn't have blamed him.

Good luck Alfie & thanks for the 750k. I've said it before, but I'd trust NJ to spend that money well.
  • Options
    Best of luck Alfie and thanks for everything you gave us last year, promise me one thing if you can, please don't score against us at The Covered End ok...🙏
  • Options
    Bit much that video wasn't it, he was only here a year!
    If I was being cynical I'd wonder if it wasn't an attempted bit of PR spin by club to make it very clear that this was definitely May's idea and they definitely weren't cashing in on our one saleable asset guys, honest.

But I'm not, so I won't.
  • Options
    fenaddick said:

Don't be silly... they wouldn't lie about him putting in a transfer request, he would come straight out and deny it. Brum are throwing cash round like confetti, don't blame him at all.
  • Options
    edited July 2
    CAFCsayer said:
    I'd rather we don't get the extra money if it means they don't get promoted, providing we go up of course
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You wait ages and ages for a consistent Goalscorer to come along, and then……
    one arrives and we sell him for a £1m profit when we supposedly have plenty of transfer funds. 

Without NJ we would be in L2 and May would have gone anyway, but Nathan, you have used up your extra life and the clock starts ticking in a few weeks time, that sale was a needless own goal by you. 
    thing is IF a player (in this case May) is determined to go, i m o, let him go .. we don't want anyone on good money downing tools and taking the mick, all it does is cause dressing room unrest as will as cheesing off the fans .. take the money and look around for another striker who will fit into Jones's plans 
    I have it on good authority, Alfie wanted to stay at Charlton and see out his professional career with us - but, very shortly after Jones was appointed, he realised that Jones didn’t fancy him, and in reality Alfie didn’t ‘fit’ into what Jones wanted 

This is something - IMO - Alfie has had to put up with all his career - his height - even today, English football has a dislike of short players, especially as CF’s

It’s idiotic - what he lacks in height, he makes up for in so many other areas - and yes, I’m short as well, not much taller than Alfie - and whilst I was nowhere near his standard, I still did a shift as a CF in amateur footballer (an annoying wasp of a player I was)

So, if he knows he is not wanted in reality, and he is just over 30 years old, but still fit as a butchers dog, rapid, scores goals by the bucket load - yes Alfie, get that move - earn a shedload of money for your family, because they matter more than anything for Alfie, and rightly so

As for Charlton Athletic, our loss in my opinion 

If Jones has called this wrong, and season starts badly, and Alfie’s replacement is dog eggs, it’s gonna be toxic, and we are back to square root of fuck all ……
    How tall was Killer?
  • Options
    Shame. See ya Alan! 
  • Options

Negatives:

- losing a good lad from the squad
    - goals will have to be replaced somehow

Positives:

- good fee received and a profit made for the club
    - won’t have to hear that dodgy chant in the stands anymore
  • Options
    Fair play to him. No hard feelings. Onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    fenaddick said:

Don't be silly... they wouldn't lie about him putting in a transfer request, he would come straight out and deny it. Brum are throwing cash round like confetti, don't blame him at all.
    Didn't claim they would lie. It's spin. 

If you make a player clear that he's not particularly wanted and you're actively seeking his replacement, you can't claim the player has forced your hand when he asks to go. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    The school situation was a really big factor in this.

he wasn’t going to be a regular under NJ was also a 
    factor

He knows he’s only got a couple of years left playing so it’s all a bit of a no-brainer tbf

tbf thanks for the memories. We all move on

Club needs to have a serious word with those schools! 
  • Options
    Only niggle is that he signed for Birmingham....a Midlands club. If he had gone to Huddersfield then fair play but just leaves a bad taste on the mouth. I know Huddersfield maybe needed to offer more, but effectively they offered more than we paid for him & after he put in a transfer request there was only going to be 1 outcome. What would happened if Brum hadnt have stepped in ??
    Looking at the map, Birmingham is still a fair distance from Doncaster, especially as their training ground is to the south of Birmingham, easily 2 hours each way. Surely he won't be commuting that journey every day, which begs the question of how much time he'll spend with his family anyway...
  • Options
    Looks like he has hay fever.

i do respect him for handing in a transfer request though, too many players want moves and throw their toys out but want to keep their cut of the transfer.

For anybody who wants to jump on him wanting to move by asking for a transfer, I imagine that the club insisted on this so not having to pay Alfie any outstanding contract.
    They’d only have to pay his contract if they wanted rid of him to the extent that they wanted to rip up the contract.

Him handing in a transfer request means he is asking for the move and giving up his % of the transfer fee which is what I was giving him credit for doing.
  • Options
    Thanks for keeping last season from being even worse, can't knock a guy for wanting to be nearer his family