Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie May - signed for Birmingham (p56 - confirmed)

Comments

• Options
    One of the great ironies about Alfie is that he wasnt seen as a 'moneyball signing' and the word on the street was that Holden insisted on us getting him especially when Leaburn got injured and others were concerned about him probably having no resale value.

A year on and his value has at least trebled.
  • Options
    edited June 29
    Jones has said there's no financial reason to sell any players, so surely there's no reason to accept £750-800k. We are in a strong position to hold out for a £1m+ fee. If the sides who want him aren't willing to pay it then he will have to stay with us as per the contract he signed only last year. 
    Alternatively, we could agree a swap or swaps. Don't Birmingham have Bielik and Jutkiewicz? I'd be happy with a straight swap of those two for Alfie.
  • Options
    For all the talk of Jones sidelining May a lot towards the end of last year....we didn't exactly win many of those games. Perhaps if we had kept a striker on the pitch with 20+ goals they may have converted more into victories. 
    Like when he went through 1 on 1 at Exeter in the last minute and fucked it up you mean?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    You can’t keep asking us to invest in the team and then keep sending off the ones we’re invested in.

This club is an emotional rollercoaster, but not the fun kind. One that staples your genitals to the seat, turns you upside down, inside out, and dips your head in shit before slamming you into a brick wall.
    Is that a new ride at Alton Towers?

The new Sack Stretcher
  • Options
    edited June 29
    Croydon said:
    For all the talk of Jones sidelining May a lot towards the end of last year....we didn't exactly win many of those games. Perhaps if we had kept a striker on the pitch with 20+ goals they may have converted more into victories. 
    Like when he went through 1 on 1 at Exeter in the last minute and fucked it up you mean?

Awful player. Only scores penalties and tap ins, totally useless . Performances towards the end of the season were spectacular, especially the hard fought drawns against the behemoths like Fleetwood and Shrewsbury. The fact only relegation certs Birmingham and Huddersfield are after him says everything you need to know.
    Didn’t say awful player and don’t want him to leave. Trying to combat some of the silly revisionism that’s going on - or is that only allowed when it goes the other way?

You can add Cambridge to list as well when he went through on goal and hit the post late on. Jones did keep May on the pitch & May did get chances to win those games for us but he couldn’t manage it. 

And that’s fine, he’s still a good striker. But it disproves the point that was made originally.
  • Options
    Our only win after that game (6 games total) was thanks to 2 Alfie May goals. 

The 3 games before Exeter he had 4 goals. 

Maybe he was still a good player and very much needed to win games? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

“Perhaps if we had kept a striker on the pitch with 20+ goals they may have converted more into victories.”
  • Options
     SELR_addicks said:

“Perhaps if we had kept a striker on the pitch with 20+ goals they may have converted more into victories.”
    We won zero games he was subbed off in. 

Every win under Jones had Alfie May scoring in. 

Carlisle would be a good example of what keeping May on the pitch does. 
    10-8 round 
  • Options

You said keeping him on for more games would’ve won us more points. Keeping him on against Exeter, Cambridge and others didn’t accomplish that.

It’s funny that the example you’ve picked is Carlisle where we actually had a functioning target man on the pitch and who contributed to the winning goal with a flick on, which is exactly what Nathan Jones wants out of this whole situation.
  • Options

You said keeping him on for more games would’ve won us more points. Keeping him on against Exeter, Cambridge and others didn’t accomplish that.

It’s funny that the example you’ve picked is Carlisle where we actually had a functioning target man on the pitch and who contributed to the winning goal with a flick on, which is exactly what Nathan Jones wants out of this whole situation.
    And we had Alfie May scoring 2 goals and getting an assist to boot. 

Jones doesn't like May, we probably won't know the full story why. But last year every win Jones had was thanks to Alfie May.

If Jones wants a 'target man' up front, having May alongside would be a promotion challenging line-up. Instead we're rolling the dice and giving him to a promotion rival. 
  • Options
    Maybe NJ sees May as a good L2/L1 striker but we need a Championship calibre striker to get promoted?
  • Options
    Maybe NJ sees May as a good L2/L1 striker but we need a Championship calibre striker to get promoted?
    Good point and luckily there are loads of them about, all either out of contract or available on the cheap, all queuing up to join a bang average League One team who changes their manager every 3-4 months and gets crowds of around 8-9k every other week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seen quite a bit of “Jones doesn’t like Alfie” but could it be a case of Alfie refusing to adapt his game to fit in and now he’s being offered more money elsewhere the family moving back is a convenient way to get out
  • Options
    Someone on FB, who's close mates with May is saying, and I paraphrase -: May and Jones don't like each other. May wants to play CF, Jones wants him out wide. Wife wants out of London and wants to 'go home'. Brum have offered us more money, close to £1m, which is more than Udders offered. May will get a substantial increase in wages.
    That's about it, have no idea if genuine or not, just thought I'd put it on here. 
    With everything else being said, I guess he's going, I just hope we have at least 2 suitable replacements. However, as I've said, there is diddly squat, we can do about it!

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Part of this reminds me of Guardiola's early dissatisfaction with Aguero.

I remember when Aguero scored a hat trick in the Borussia game in 2016, and yet got bollocked by Pep for not performing his other duties - marking, pressing, keeping possession. 

The difference being that Guardiola worked with Aguero to improve him and make him do the work.

I fully support Jones in bringing in his own players. What I find sad is that he won't even work with May, who is clearly a top talent in this league, and was fantastic for us. 
    Maybe he tried to work with May towards the end of last season and it didn't work out leading to May getting subbed a few times. 
    Maybe it's nothing to do with that at all. 
    Unfortunately we'll never know what went on between them.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Part of this reminds me of Guardiola's early dissatisfaction with Aguero.

I remember when Aguero scored a hat trick in the Borussia game in 2016, and yet got bollocked by Pep for not performing his other duties - marking, pressing, keeping possession. 

The difference being that Guardiola worked with Aguero to improve him and make him do the work.

I fully support Jones in bringing in his own players. What I find sad is that he won't even work with May, who is clearly a top talent in this league, and was fantastic for us. 
    Aside from the fact we're dealing with a much higher quality of player and therefore more capacity for them to adapt, as well as Guardiola being willing to work with Aguero, Aguero was willing to adapt his game. Is Alfie willing to do that? Didn't look like it sometimes last season but we don't know.
    I think a closer example maybe would be Mourinho when he came back to Chelsea, he's an example of how these things can go either way. Mourinho came back in 2013 and started adapting his team. He marginalised and then sold Juan Mata, who had won Chelsea's POTY the last two seasons in a row, because he wasn't willing or able to do the running Mourinho required. Chelsea finished 3rd that season and the fans were devastated to lose Mata, but then the next season he'd finished shaping his squad and won the league. No-one missed Mata because they had the hard graft of Fabregas, Matic and Oscar doing the manager's work. Great, the collective was more important than a talented individual. 
    Except the next season Mourinho went even further and decided that his next lazy target was going to be Eden Hazard. The problem was that Hazard was too good and the results were so bad that Mourinho ended up losing that one. He got sacked after a match against Leicester where Hazard basically decided he didn't fancy it anymore and cried off 'injured' after 30 minutes of Mourinho arm-waving and screaming. The next season Conte came in, basically told Hazard to do whatever he wanted and had the league sewn up by February. The season after that Conte told his 20 goal striker Diego Costa he didn't want him anymore by text, brought in Alvaro Morata instead after missing out on Lukaku, which...yeah, finished 5th and was waved off at the end of the season.
    I don't know what the moral of this is. I think it's that sometimes managers throwing their weight around works and sometimes it doesn't. Binning off your best player can work if you get players in to graft in his place, but ultimately if you don't win games after you make that big decision you'll be out on your ear. Good luck Nathan Jones.
  • Options
    I'm sure he will still be here next season  ;) , get one of these while you still can
    CHARLTON ATHLETIC SIGNED ALFIE MAY FOOTBALL PICTURE 12 X 8 | eBay
  • Options
    Someone on FB, who's close mates with May is saying, and I paraphrase -: May and Jones don't like each other. May wants to play CF, Jones wants him out wide. Wife wants out of London and wants to 'go home'. Brum have offered us more money, close to £1m, which is more than Udders offered. May will get a substantial increase in wages.
    That's about it, have no idea if genuine or not, just thought I'd put it on here. 
    With everything else being said, I guess he's going, I just hope we have at least 2 suitable replacements. However, as I've said, there is diddly squat, we can do about it!

IF that's how it is, it makes sense that he goes, whether we like it or not and there'd be little point in blaming Jones