Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie May - signed for Birmingham (p56 - confirmed & video message from him)

Comments

• Options
    All the best Alfie.
    Great L1 goalscorer and lovely goodbye video.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    The school situation was a really big factor in this.

he wasn’t going to be a regular under NJ was also a 
    factor

He knows he’s only got a couple of years left playing so it’s all a bit of a no-brainer tbf

tbf thanks for the memories. We all move on

How dare you suggest club and player came to an amicable solution.

Conspiracy I tells ya

CONSPIRACY!!!!!!!
  • Options
    ‘He wasn’t going to be a regular under Nathan Jones’ - bonkers. Jones has got that wrong if true. 

The school stuff is weird and I wonder if the club helped at all. 

Also curious to what ‘up north’ is. If it’s Doncaster, Birmingham not exactly close. 

Good luck to him. Very rare a footballers is that honest and transparent and thankful to a club and its fans. Gutted to see him go. He kept us up last year and would have been key to any promotion challenge this year. As always with this club, two steps forward and one step back. 
  • Options
    Shame to see him go, one of the few bright sparks of the last decade. 

Not quite the £1.5m that was often spoken about.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    msomerton said:
    Letting Dobson go was reasonable but now letting May go is ripping out any spine the team had.
    Convinces me that the owners happy enough for us to be a 3rd div (league1) team.
    Both were bad, but Dobson was worse IMHO.

26 v 31
    Good for 3 seasons for us v Good for a year 
    Free v A decent profit

Plus Dobson was captain and they tried to force him out while we were looking like we might go down.
  • Options
    robroy said:
    More money and closer to Doncaster. 

177 miles from the Valley to Doncaster 
    77 miles from Birmingham to Doncaster

Good luck Alfie, NJ better had got this right. 
    Surely that’s no longer hanging over him, May wanted a move and even handed in a transfer request to get it through.

we can’t hang NJ for not making a player stay when they don’t want to be here
    Genuinely can't believe the amount of people falling for this spin. 

Why was May subbed off most games before the end of the season and fans were already speaking about him being replaced over the summer if it were purely May's choice? 
    So you think the family thing is a complete lie?

May getting less time coincided with us improving under jones so even if the family thing is bollox it’s pretty clear he isn’t happy adjusting for the sake of the team which again isn’t on jones
  • Options
    ‘He wasn’t going to be a regular under Nathan Jones’ - bonkers. Jones has got that wrong if true. 

Also curious to what ‘up north’ is. If it’s Doncaster, Birmingham not exactly close. 

Good luck to him. Very rare a footballers is that honest and transparent and thankful to a club and its fans. Gutted to see him go. He kept us up last year and would have been key to any promotion challenge this year. As always with this club, two steps forward and one step back. 
    Its closer though isnt it ? two hours drive as opposed to six. I imagine being the wife of a footballer can be quite lonely anyway especially with kids they train daily and then are away overnight regularly (at least once a week given Tuesday and Saturday matches), If he has an away match at weekend she can drive to Doncaster and spend a weekend with her family and only travelled for 4 or 5 hours over the whole weekend as opposed to 12.

Also he says about doing whats right for his family that could mean financially too ? If he had a lean year next year with us the truth is no one would have gave him the contract he has got with Birmingham, he would be 32 and out of contract. Now he has a contract for 3 years on the best money he has ever received and as long as he isn't silly (and i dont think he is) will set his family up for life.
  • Options
    End of move on 
  • Options
    edited July 2

The school stuff is normal.  There are plenty of parents who just can't get their kids into the schools they choose.  They end up being sent to schools further away, or schools that are underperforming, and thus are undersubscribed, for obvious reasons.  Nothing the club can do, the allocations are done by the local authority.  There is a lack of good schooling in every area across the country.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Even moreso now, I really wish we'd found a way to keep and extend CBT. I know that was probably never realistic, and he'll be playing in the Champ next season, but for the first half of last year it felt like the difficulty in finding a coherent formation and team was finding a way for CBT and May to play well together. 

And now we have neither. 
  • Options
    robroy said:

Surely that’s no longer hanging over him, May wanted a move and even handed in a transfer request to get it through.

Why was May subbed off most games before the end of the season and fans were already speaking about him being replaced over the summer if it were purely May's choice? 
    What a bizarre take.

Why would the club put out May requested a transfer if he didnt ? it would be so demonstrably false. I mean jesus, there were people here who were able to confirm he moved out of his house a week ago, you think it wouldnt be hard to find out he hadnt requested a transfer ?

The truth probably comes down to him being subbed off in some matches where he just wasn't having an impact and NJ took decisions which kept us in the league, now its entirely plausible NJ may not have had him playing every minute of every game next season, which at 32 and out of contract (next season) would hamper Alfies career prospects as its unlikely he would have the same goal return, therefore less offers. Also Birmingham have made a great offer,  closer to his wifes family and he has decided that tips it andput the request to strike whilst the irons hot.
    Yet again. May was the only reason NJ won any games last season. 

Every win May scored. Everytime May was subbed we didn't win. 

I believe May handed in a transfer request yes, but after being outright told and shown that he wasn't wanted and the club were actively seeking his replacement. So he wanted to go and move sooner rather than just waiting out the inevitable. 

Jones wanted May gone regardless of May's decision-making and trying to frame it as purely May's choice is spin. 
  • Options

Negatives:

- losing a good lad from the squad
    - goals will have to be replaced somehow

Positives:

- good fee received and a profit made for the club
    - won’t have to hear that dodgy chant in the stands anymore
    Already seen someone add Matty Godden into it on twitter 🙃
  • Options
    edited July 2
    Leuth said:
    robroy said:

What a bizarre take.

Why would the club put out May requested a transfer if he didnt ? it would be so demonstrably false. I mean jesus, there were people here who were able to confirm he moved out of his house a week ago, you think it wouldnt be hard to find out he hadnt requested a transfer ?

The truth probably comes down to him being subbed off in some matches where he just wasn't having an impact and NJ took decisions which kept us in the league, now its entirely plausible NJ may not have had him playing every minute of every game next season, which at 32 and out of contract (next season) would hamper Alfies career prospects as its unlikely he would have the same goal return, therefore less offers. Also Birmingham have made a great offer,  closer to his wifes family and he has decided that tips it andput the request to strike whilst the irons hot.
    Yet again. May was the only reason NJ won any games last season

I believe May handed in a transfer request yes, but after being outright told and shown that he wasn't wanted and the club were actively seeking his replacement. So he wanted to go and move sooner rather than just waiting out the inevitable. 

Jones wanted May gone regardless of May's decision-making and trying to frame it as purely May's choice is spin. 
    This is completely unhinged nonsense 
    Point to a win NJ has that May hasn't scored in? Pretty simple. 

I think people forget how hard May carried the team last season with his goals. We were genuinely nothing going forward without his goal threat. 
  • Options
    robroy said:

What a bizarre take.

May was not the only reason NJ won any games because other players scored too ? Make it make sense. Also my point was the decision NJ made kept us up not that we won games ? we also picked up a lot of draws thats neither here nor there.

So answer the other point, if the club did that it would be so easily known ? literally last week NJ was singing his praises.

Also last point you cant see at any point why a 31 year old footballer player would want to move for much more money ? thats doesnt make sense to you ? not everything is a conspiracy.
  • Options
    Those of you swallowing this "wants to be closer to his family" line, please help me understand the following:

- 12 months ago, Alfie May was a Cheltenham player. Where were his family living then? In Cheltenham, or Doncaster?
    - Didn't he want to be " close to his family" when he agreed to join Charlton? Because wherever they were living, he was going to be fairly far away from them when signing for us.
    - Didn't he only quite recently buy a house near us? Why would you do that, if your family want to stay in Doncaster and you are on a two year contract?

Well? 
    More likely because he wants to get away for more dough and play the old "missing my family" card, rather than being made to leave by evil forces at the Club, then protect them by blaming the whole move on his own Mrs and kids.

Not saying it is that, just I think that would be more likely

• Options
    Those of you swallowing this "wants to be closer to his family" line, please help me understand the following:

- 12 months ago, Alfie May was a Cheltenham player. Where were his family living then? In Cheltenham, or Doncaster?
    - Didn't he want to be " close to his family" when he agreed to join Charlton? Because wherever they were living, he was going to be fairly far away from them when signing for us.
    - Didn't he only quite recently buy a house near us? Why would you do that, if your family want to stay in Doncaster and you are on a two year contract?

Well? 
    Ill go first, Probably living in Cheltenham where he went when he didn't have the options he now has on the table.

Close to his family but its his wife who would be away from her family the majority of the times when he is away playing football and without getting too personal we don't know what the dynamic is between his wife and his family.

The house was rented, they were in Cheltenham not Doncaster (see first point about options) and he only had a year left on his contract.

There are numerous instances that explain why this has gone the way it has but I cant help but think being closer to her family and earning a shit load more for what is likely his final big contract are probably more likely reasons than some cloak and dagger conspiracy plot.
  • Options
    robroy said:

What a bizarre take.

May was not the only reason NJ won any games because other players scored too ? Make it make sense. Also my point was the decision NJ made kept us up not that we won games ? we also picked up a lot of draws thats neither here nor there.

So answer the other point, if the club did that it would be so easily known ? literally last week NJ was singing his praises.

Also last point you cant see at any point why a 31 year old footballer player would want to move for much more money ? thats doesnt make sense to you ? not everything is a conspiracy.
    So why were we linked to 2 other strikers? 

NJ singing his praises like I'm sure he would for any squad member. Any manager outside of Bowyer would do the same, especially when trying to bump up a transfer fee. Why make it look like you want him gone? That lowers his value.