Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dele Alli

Incredible interview. The things he's been through it's amazing he's still here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyDL9EUIdy0

Comments

• Options
    Explains a lot, i wish him well on his journey.
  • Options
    What has he been through it's 42 minutes long?
  • Options
    What has he been through it's 42 minutes long?
    It's longer than his Everton career
    Cheap joke seeking a pat on the back?!
  • Options
    Also his mum was an alcoholic, and he himself has just spent 6 weeks in rehab.

Reckons he's now in the best frame of mind he's been in for years, if ever.
    I read recently that he was one of the first back at Everton for Pre-Season training - Hopefully he can rediscover his form of old. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Listened to the whole thing and just hope he can find his way back and get the support he needs , sounds like he did the interview to stop the tabloid's leaking that he's been in rehab. 
    a bit sad really as maybe he wasn't ready to talk about it all but had too in order to stay on top of the story

It definitely seemed like there was bits he wasn't really ready to talk about or at least had only recently during his spell in rehab and having spoken to therapists about that he felt like he could now talk about. His childhood sounds absolutely horrific and I'm not surprised he wasn't willing in the past to talk about it. 
  • Options
    If he only got out of rehab three weeks ago it's very, very early days for him in terms of accepting, dealing with and processing it all. I know he says it felt like the right time to talk about it publicly, and he does have a right of reply given how much has been written and said about him, but he's clearly still very vulnerable. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Listened to the whole thing and just hope he can find his way back and get the support he needs , sounds like he did the interview to stop the tabloid's leaking that he's been in rehab. 
    a bit sad really as maybe he wasn't ready to talk about it all but had too in order to stay on top of the story

It definitely seemed like there was bits he wasn't really ready to talk about or at least had only recently during his spell in rehab and having spoken to therapists about that he felt like he could now talk about. His childhood sounds absolutely horrific and I'm not surprised he wasn't willing in the past to talk about it. 
    There's been hints before about a difficult upbringing, him saying he didn't want to use his family name, just 'Dele' etc.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Dele is talking about mental health and helping people and so on, it's all very sincere and quite touching. Then it breaks to say "Brought to you by Sky Bet". 

Fucking hell. 
    Yeah I found that distasteful especially when one of the subjects is around addiction. 

Incredibly brave of Dele to open up about this stuff and you can see how raw everything still is. This should shut a lot of people up about him and hopefully awakens some that players are human and go through the whole range of human emotions that we all do. It's hard not to want him to go on and do well again now.
  • Options
    I don't want to make light of this, I don't want to tell this as a joke. But it does feed into my criticism of Gary Neville, who is not an accomplished presenter, let alone interviewer (albeit one I would imagine Alli is comfortable talking to). 

But.. reaching out and touching the man's exposed knee after telling the childhood trauma bit was ill-advised. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2023
    If you are in a competitive sport at any level you take criticism; what it shouldn't be is Vicious and you take a kicking.

Deli went from being an English international when young to not making a club side's squad of 18. Those of us who have had to live with the black cloud that visits will not be surprised because some of it was known when he dropped his surname that Deli had had a difficult upbringing.
    Seeing the bullet points seems shocking;
    I will listen later.

Not sure where the line is with criticism but seeing Bairstow called a "Fat useless ginger prick''on CL made me think if someone shouts that out at a match in earshot or on massive social media platform let's hope that Jonny has a different disposition to his dad David Bairstow who hung himself when he was 46 years old. He had survived a drugs overdose just weeks before...

We can all have our different opinions on Players abilities but why the venomous personal comments ?

Reminds me of the school bullies in the playgrounds.

Deli needs to use the bad shit as motivation. You can't have flowers without rain.

Good luck to him.
  • Options
    Oh wow...just read the bullet points. That's tragic. Hope he finds some happiness and can get back to playing. Although I'd say happiness is more important than worrying abt football at the moment. Good luck to him.
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    Oh wow...just read the bullet points. That's tragic. Hope he finds some happiness and can get back to playing. Although I'd say happiness is more important than worrying abt football at the moment. Good luck to him.
    Part of the interview he said he didn't want to just come back but he wanted to be even better than he was before. It felt genuine as well and you could see there was a determination there that he wants to get better both mentally and in terms of his career. Obviously it's a long long way to go but what a comeback it would be if he could get anywhere near where he was previously. 
  • Options
    That takes a lot of guts. Respect to him.
  • Options
    Social media abuse is the absolute worst. Anonymous and cowardly. 99.9% wouldn't have the balls to say it face to face.
  • Options
    Poor fella, what a burden to carry.

Yet another stark illustration of the untold damage that occurs when children are sexually abused. It is a life sentence and society's retribution should reflect this, IMHO.

Hope he finds some peace.  Whether he 'makes it' again in football is of secondary importance.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    I don't want to make light of this, I don't want to tell this as a joke. But it does feed into my criticism of Gary Neville, who is not an accomplished presenter, let alone interviewer (albeit one I would imagine Alli is comfortable talking to). 

But.. reaching out and touching the man's exposed knee after telling the childhood trauma bit was ill-advised. 
    Why was it? He was showing genuine emotion and wanting to let him know that it was ok and he was understanding. He knows him and they've had a professional working relationship. He was just reaching out to him. I thought it was a good, human, thing to do.
    Agree