Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Academy Watch 2023/2024

Just a thread for discussing the academy prospects hoping to break through this year. 

So far for me Asiimwe and Anderson look most likely to break through, with Mitchell, Elerewe and Bakrin not far off. 

Roddy still looks a bit behind them

Adigun a curious miss from pre-season? Injured? 

Comments

• Options
    Pretty sure I saw someone on Twitter yesterday say the Academy played a behind closed doors friendly yesterday. I think we won 5-3, and Adigun was amongst the scorers.
  • Options
    I saw Adigun as part of the team that faced Tonbridge Angels.

He doesn't seem to have broken through into the First Team like many of his peers at the moment, which surprises me given reviews.

Even with the EFL Trophy the last few seasons, we've seen Anderson | Kanu even Casey on the bench
  • Options
    Another one I am looking forward to is Toure who won the Bolangi award in 2022. 

p.s I have no idea who is currently in the Academy beyond those named. 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    Another one I am looking forward to is Toure who won the Bolangi award in 2022. 

p.s I have no idea who is currently in the Academy beyond those named. 
    Toby Bower and Josh Laqeretabua are the next names from the U18s along with Patrick Casey

Not forgetting Henry Rylah either who has already appeared for the First Team
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Just a thread for discussing the academy prospects hoping to break through this year. 

So far for me Asiimwe and Anderson look most likely to break through, with Mitchell, Elerewe and Bakrin not far off. 

Roddy still looks a bit behind them

Adigun a curious miss from pre-season? Injured? 
    I thought he played well against the Gills.  Seems a bit bigger and more confident.  Didn't do much wrong and got forward when needed.
  • Options
    I do not follow the academy unless players are pushing towards the first team.

any goalkeepers coming through? I now we had a few a couple of years ago but harness didn't push on and two left for better things, with AMB now a firm member of the squad. Anyone else?
  • Options
    I do not follow the academy unless players are pushing towards the first team.

any goalkeepers coming through? I now we had a few a couple of years ago but harness didn't push on and two left for better things, with AMB now a firm member of the squad. Anyone else?
    Goalkeeper is probably the weakest area of the Academy at the moment, unless there is someone we dont know about stepping up to the U18s this year?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There was some hope around Kone in goal but he moved to Qatar at the end of his contract. Beyond that I don't know too much about any of the other keepers in the Academy. We played a trialist in the Tonbridge game so seems like we might try and bring in a younger keeper to play for the U21's this season.
  • Options
    Going to the friendly against Eastbourne on Saturday so will do a separate match thread for that game.
    will see you there.
  • Options
    I'm going to the Hastings game on the 29th 
  • Options
    I thought Beadle signed something to make sure we got compensation from Brighton
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    I thought Beadle signed something to make sure we got compensation from Brighton
    It was suggested somewhere that we got about £400,000.

Presumably zilch for Kone.
  • Options
    Has anyone seen a team sheet online for the Hastings game please?

I have no idea who I'm watching. It's 2-1 Charlton, both goals scored by #9 Ryan Hook(?)
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

I have no idea who I'm watching. It's 2-1 Charlton, both goals scored by #9 Ryan Hook(?)
    Ryan Huke.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedPanda said:

https://www.charltonafc.com/player/68
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Thanks. Found the team sheet though I think 8 and 9 are muddled - or the PA was wrong. #9 definitely scored both

Playing some good football but gave away a needless penalty 
  • Options
    Losing 4-3 now, it went downhill after various 2nd half changes.

Attendance 725
  • Options
    I was there and thought the same, believe it was Casey who scored twice. First one a good turn and finish, second one a header.

Some decent football with both teams playing out from the back.

Looked like we played 4-3-3/4-2-3-1. Wouldn’t say anyone obviously stood out, but some of them are only 18 so have time on their side and we know a few of them are highly rated.

Hastings want a relationship with us including for loans. They’re in the Isthmian Premier (7th tier) so not sure how useful that is from our perspective, at least not for our better prospects.

https://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/sport/football/hastings-united-host-charlton-and-aim-for-long-term-links-with-addicks-4234125
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I was there and thought the same, believe it was Casey who scored twice. First one a good turn and finish, second one a header.

Some decent football with both teams playing out from the back.

Looked like we played 4-3-3/4-2-3-1. Wouldn’t say anyone obviously stood out, but some of them are only 18 so have time on their side and we know a few of them are highly rated.

Hastings want a relationship with us including for loans. They’re in the Isthmian Premier (7th tier) so not sure how useful that is from our perspective, at least not for our better prospects.

https://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/sport/football/hastings-united-host-charlton-and-aim-for-long-term-links-with-addicks-4234125

Wouldn't be a bad move for a couple of the U18s or fringe U21s , had a few players loaned to that level in the past couple of seasons. Maybe one to send someone like Bakrin or even Casey? 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I guess it comes down to whether they think the player will benefit from it. Our better academy players often haven’t had to go out on loan, or if they do it’s been at a higher level.

Pope is the only one I can think of who was loaned to the 7th tier and made it with us (and since done even better).
  • Options
    The trialist keeper, Prince Adegoke, was on Chelsea's books and went on loan to Welling for a short spell last season. Apparently back in March other clubs (named as Forest and Leicester) were interested, could have just been agent talk knowing he was coming to the end of his Chelsea contract
  • Options

Could this be the friendly Holden was talking about on an artificial surface? 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Could be, apparently they do play on a 3G pitch.
  • Options
    it’s a nice little station and a decent sized bar too.

3g pitch too

worth a visit