Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Life Battlefield Tour No.4 - Amiens (6-8th July 2024) - RedArmySE7 please see p2 ASAP

Comments

• Options
    @usetobunkin is this an expression of interest in the trip?
  • Options
    Thanks for the offer, but @LargeAddick, but I won’t be able to join you, but once again thank you for the offer.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Morning all, firstly sorry that Neal and I didn't get a tour off the ground for 2023, I have been absent from CL for a few months so entirely my fault. 

The good news is Neal noticed I had crept back onto the roll call threads so we had a good chat this week and thrilled to be able to offer you a trip to Amiens next July. 

Why Amiens? well we have previously visited Ypres, Arras, the Somme and Normandy. I felt it was important to have a look at the events of 1918 from the end of the German Spring Offensive in April through to late Summer when the BEF finds itself back on the old Somme front of two years earlier.

Its by this stage, a war of movement, one that breaks away from the stereotypical visions of the Great War that we subconsciously hold. 

It really was the turning point of the war for a number of reasons, firstly the Royal Naval blockade on Germany was biting hard both at home and at the front line, secondly the arrival of the American Expeditionary Forces, alongside a renewed French, US, Italian and British offensive to the south on the Marne from mid July had put an end to German offensive plans. This enabled Sir Douglas Haig's British, Australian and Canadian forces to deliver a decisive blow against the Germans, (largely starved of reinforcements), in front of Amiens, a key railhead that had been perilously close to falling a few months earlier. 

Its an integrated all arms offensive that has a visibly devastating impact on the German defenders, the tactics employed become the blueprint for modern soldiering, many of which are still used today. Whilst the war is not over as a result, the clock is ticking, the Hindenburg Line in sight and plans for a late 1919 victory are brought forward as a result. 

There is a significant London involvement in the battle with the 47th & 58th London Territorial Divisions fighting alongside the 12th & 18th Eastern Division, all were largely recruited in London and the SE so it is our story.

Lastly, Amiens, the birthplace of Jules Verne is a great base for a couple of days, the city has a wonderful bar/cafe culture with large areas around the Somme river and magnificent Gothic cathedral bustling late into the night. With the Euro quarter finals on that weekend we will able to watch the games in a number of sports bars. 

During the war Amiens was an important logistical and railway hub for the British Expeditionary Force. When not in the line, troops rested, drank and made merry in the its streets. These rang out with laughter and singing making it the most popular destination on the Western Front for our relatives who served in France.

This important side of a soldiers life in France during the war is something I will explain in more detail through letters, contemporary memoirs while we are there. Remember troops spent on average between 60-65 days a year in a trench and almost 300 resting, training and recovering so places like Amiens were a large part of our ancestors experiences. 

There are lots of hotel options, I would suggest the Hotel Moxy Moxy Amiens (marriott.com) as this is tour base we will be starting and ending from each day, its proved very popular with our tours the last few years. 

Anyway the initial outline itinerary is as follows; 

Saturday - early start and across to Calais, drop down to Amiens, on-route we will study a lesser known action of World War II, Operation Jericho, this was the Mosquito Raid of Amiens Prison where a number of resistance prisoners were being held by the Germans, two brothers in particular had some information regarding Normandy that was extremely sensitive, so a raid was launched to either allow them to escape or silence them forever.                                                                                                  This very dramatic clip gives you an idea -  The Jail Breakers (1944) - YouTube 

Sunday - starting with a visit to Villers Bretonneux where, in late April 1918 Australian and London troops finally stopped the German offensive towards Amiens, this will include a number of spots relevent to the battle and a visit the excellent Sir John Monash Centre and large cemetery and Memorial. 

We then move onto Le Hamel where on the 4 July a force of Australian infantry supported by British tanks, aircraft and cavalry assault a key German position using tactics that would be employed succesfully a few weeks later in the main battle. From here we will also look at the final flight of Manfred Von Richtofen.

We end the day looking at the battle of 8 August, one Erich Ludendorf would refer to as 'the black day of the German Army' its too much to cover in an afternoon but we will look at it largely through the lens of the London troops who played a key role in the outcome on the Chipilly Spur. 

Monday - leaving the hotel we will head east to Havrincourt, part of the Hindenburg Line defences for a special family visit for Neal before calling at Ervillers and the story of Arthur Henry Cross and his VC before heading back to Calais. 

*Please do let me know is you had a relative that fought in this area between March and September 1918 either message me or email to clive@battle-honours.co.uk so I can include their story in our visit*
  • Options
    Please, I would love to go
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Clive would we go anyway near Favreuil? I have taught the story of Walter Tull for a few years in schools now and it would be interesting to see the place where he died and Leicester goalie Billingham tried to recover his body.  I will be doing this story with eight schools during BHM in October and children are always so emotional to hear how he died. They normally write something about him which we could read there as a tribute.
  • Options
    Clive would we go anyway near Favreuil? I have taught the story of Walter Tull for a few years in schools and his death now and it would be interesting to see the place where he died and Leicester goalie Billingham tried to recover his friends body.  I will be doing this story with eight schools during BHM in October and children are always so emotional to hear gow he died.
    Yes that's just outside Bapaume so very possible Pete
  • Options
    Thanks Clive. In addition to the football link, I think Tull's death on 25 March, 1918 links to the start of the Kaiser Schlacht and helps set the incredible turn around of the 100 days in context.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Morning all, firstly sorry that Neal and I didn't get a tour off the ground for 2023, I have been absent from CL for a few months so entirely my fault. 

The good news is Neal noticed I had crept back onto the roll call threads so we had a good chat this week and thrilled to be able to offer you a trip to Amiens next July. 

Why Amiens? well we have previously visited Ypres, Arras, the Somme and Normandy. I felt it was important to have a look at the events of 1918 from the end of the German Spring Offensive in April through to late Summer when the BEF finds itself back on the old Somme front of two years earlier.

Its by this stage, a war of movement, one that breaks away from the stereotypical visions of the Great War that we subconsciously hold. 

It really was the turning point of the war for a number of reasons, firstly the Royal Naval blockade on Germany was biting hard both at home and at the front line, secondly the arrival of the American Expeditionary Forces, alongside a renewed French, US, Italian and British offensive to the south on the Marne from mid July had put an end to German offensive plans. This enabled Sir Douglas Haig's British, Australian and Canadian forces to deliver a decisive blow against the Germans, (largely starved of reinforcements), in front of Amiens, a key railhead that had been perilously close to falling a few months earlier. 

Its an integrated all arms offensive that has a visibly devastating impact on the German defenders, the tactics employed become the blueprint for modern soldiering, many of which are still used today. Whilst the war is not over as a result, the clock is ticking, the Hindenburg Line in sight and plans for a late 1919 victory are brought forward as a result. 

There is a significant London involvement in the battle with the 47th & 58th London Territorial Divisions fighting alongside the 12th & 18th Eastern Division, all were largely recruited in London and the SE so it is our story.

Lastly, Amiens, the birthplace of Jules Verne is a great base for a couple of days, the city has a wonderful bar/cafe culture with large areas around the Somme river and magnificent Gothic cathedral bustling late into the night. With the Euro quarter finals on that weekend we will able to watch the games in a number of sports bars. 

During the war Amiens was an important logistical and railway hub for the British Expeditionary Force. When not in the line, troops rested, drank and made merry in the its streets. These rang out with laughter and singing making it the most popular destination on the Western Front for our relatives who served in France.

This important side of a soldiers life in France during the war is something I will explain in more detail through letters, contemporary memoirs while we are there. Remember troops spent on average between 60-65 days a year in a trench and almost 300 resting, training and recovering so places like Amiens were a large part of our ancestors experiences. 

There are lots of hotel options, I would suggest the Hotel Moxy Moxy Amiens (marriott.com) as this is tour base we will be starting and ending from each day, its proved very popular with our tours the last few years. 

Anyway the initial outline itinerary is as follows; 

Saturday - early start and across to Calais, drop down to Amiens, on-route we will study a lesser known action of World War II, Operation Jericho, this was the Mosquito Raid of Amiens Prison where a number of resistance prisoners were being held by the Germans, two brothers in particular had some information regarding Normandy that was extremely sensitive, so a raid was launched to either allow them to escape or silence them forever.                                                                                                  This very dramatic clip gives you an idea -  The Jail Breakers (1944) - YouTube 

Sunday - starting with a visit to Villers Bretonneux where, in late April 1918 Australian and London troops finally stopped the German offensive towards Amiens, this will include a number of spots relevent to the battle and a visit the excellent Sir John Monash Centre and large cemetery and Memorial. 

We then move onto Le Hamel where on the 4 July a force of Australian infantry supported by British tanks, aircraft and cavalry assault a key German position using tactics that would be employed succesfully a few weeks later in the main battle. From here we will also look at the final flight of Manfred Von Richtofen.

We end the day looking at the battle of 8 August, one Erich Ludendorf would refer to as 'the black day of the German Army' its too much to cover in an afternoon but we will look at it largely through the lens of the London troops who played a key role in the outcome on the Chipilly Spur. 

Monday - leaving the hotel we will head east to Havrincourt, part of the Hindenburg Line defences for a special family visit for Neal before calling at Ervillers and the story of Arthur Henry Cross and his VC before heading back to Calais. 

*Please do let me know is you had a relative that fought in this area between March and September 1918 either message me or email to clive@battle-honours.co.uk so I can include their story in our visit*
    Have you been to the museum in Peronne?
  • Options
    Yes please, one space.
  • Options
    Yes @HastingsRed I know it well, it's an excellent museum and Dominic the Curator is a lovely guy, it's a great setting in the old town bastion that saw its fair share of action in March and late August 1918. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hi Neil/Clive, Myself and 2 others would definitely be interested.
  • Options
    Anyone looking to book into the Hotel Moxy for this, if you email the manager direct and mention this tour he is offering a preferential rate of €111 B&B. 
    Vincent MARTIN - Moxy Amiens   captain@moxyamiens.com 

Of course you may get a cheaper room elsewhere    
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Anyone looking to book into the Hotel Moxy for this, if you email the manager direct and mention this tour he is offering a preferential rate of €111 B&B. 
    Vincent MARTIN - Moxy Amiens   captain@moxyamiens.com 

Of course you may get a cheaper room elsewhere    
    thanks Clive, is that payable up front? Or can it be cancelled up to a certain date?

I had already booked two rooms but have now emailed Vincent about it. Thanks for sorting out this special rate, it was €270 a room through booking.com 
  • Options
    pay on arrival/departure Neal with a free cancellation date but it may be worth asking when that is  
  • Options
    Neil/Clive

Can I move from interested to 'going' or are you still just collecting expressions of interest?
    With b/bs being booked I guess it's definitely on?

• Options
    Neil/Clive

Can I move from interested to 'going' or are you still just collecting expressions of interest?
    With b/bs being booked I guess it's definitely on?

As I said I was just looking for expressions of interest BUT if you want to pay the £50 deposit to secure your place (and that goes for anyone) please message me and I'll give you the bank details. A couple already have.

We are obviously very hopeful we will get enough bookings for the trip to go ahead but if it doesn't rest assured your deposit will be refunded in full. 
  • Options
    Yes please for Mr Tatters Neal/Clive x
  • Options
    Yes please.  

25 miles out from Amiens is the Caterpillar Valley Cemetery. 5,000 are buried there including former player Private F.E.Chick, who is remembered on the Valley memorial. Could we go there?

Here’s the war diary of his regiment, the 13th Middlesex, on the day he fell, 31 August 1916.

Trenches knee deep in mud & blocked by troops. At 8.30 a.m. enemy bombardment commenced on all trenches – increasing up to 2 p.m. when attack was launched – driving ‘B’ Coy out of TEA TRENCH and ‘A’ Coy back up WORCESTER TRENCH to MACDOUGAL C.T. and PONT ST.Enemy advanced to ORCHARD TRENCH where they were stopped by 2/LT GREEN with about 12 men of ‘D’ Coy and a L.G. This party forced to retire did so in good order, holding up enemy until support could be brought up.

‘A’ Coy withdrawn from PONT ST. to CARLTON TRENCH also remnants of B & 1 platoon ‘D’ & ‘C’ Coy. Gas shells at night.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    @SouthallAddick - one for Clive as to whether we can squeeze in a visit to Caterpillar Valley Cemetery but thanks for registering your interest in the trip.

edit : looking at the map it is enroute to Havincourt on our last morning so hopefully we can but one for Clive. 
  • Options
    * bumped for those that may have missed it initially * 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SX_Addick said:
    I’m in. Just one place at the moment. Thanks. 
    Hi Neal. Can you change that to three places for me please. 
  • Options
    SX_Addick said:
    SX_Addick said:
    I’m in. Just one place at the moment. Thanks. 
    Hi Neal. Can you change that to three places for me please. 
    Will do.
  • Options
    I have messaged all those that have expressed an interest in the trip.
  • Options
    Yes Neal definitely in for at least 3 spaces please. Can send money right away if necessary wouldn’t want to miss this. Thanks 
  • Options
    Hi Neal I am interested and possibly my son too. Thanks
  • Options
    This sounds great but unfortunately we can't make it this time. Hopefully we'll be able to do one another next time
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Staying this week in Chateau de Servigny in Normandy. Was used by American generals during World War two. 
    Pictures everywhere. 

• Options
    *** bumped for RedArmySE7 - please check your inbox and reply urgently please ***
  • Options
    *** bumped for RedArmySE7 - please check your inbox and reply urgently please ***
  • Options
    Large, I did message him yesterday to make him aware. I’ll remind him now