Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Scott Appointed Technical Director

Comments

• Options
    Listened to the interview. He keeps sniffing. Has he got a cold or a coke habit?
  • Options
    The reality is it usually takes a long time or something drastic to change a workplace culture. I like what he has to say but as ever results will determine how they are viewed. 

I know someone who has worked with him in a professional capacity and only has good words to say about him and his commitment 
  • Options
    I enjoyed watching the interview, comes across well, talked the right way about winning and getting promoted which is all that matters to me while we are stuck in the third tier.

If the current decision makers have the talent and budget to turn things around is the big question, so far I am not convinced they will achieve it but I desperately hope I am wrong as the last thing I want is another season or two of mid table mediocrity before moving on to hoping the next new owners will be the one to bring success. 
  • Options
    jams said:
    The reality is it usually takes a long time or something drastic to change a workplace culture. I like what he has to say but as ever results will determine how they are viewed. 

I know someone who has worked with him in a professional capacity and only has good words to say about him and his commitment 
    I mean, this is a very good point. So far things are still... less than optimal shall we say but he's been in a few months and is dealing with several regimes worth of damage. 

Roland, ESI and Rock Star Tommy all left their marks. That will not disappear overnight. Plus of course the ongoing question of how much Charlie Methven is going to be offering his "guidance" and his motivation for doing so.

Good words are positive but ultimately just words. Results will be what he is judged on and he has a LOT of work to do if he's going to win people over.
  • Options
    I think his words were clear and he has meant what he says, a pity Hector et al were away at the time, as the whole squad need to hear it. Hopefully Appleton will work out but if he is going to play a true 4-2-3-1 I wonder who will he giving way, as Dobbo and either Watson or Taylor will be the CDMs and the CAMs in that formation are usually just that, CAMs, not wingers. Interesting times and while not excited by any of this, keeping open minded. 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    A few snippets from his interview the other day.
    " We've been here 6 weeks and our job as an ownership group is to start improving all areas to bring it to the level that it should be."
    " The last 6 weeks have allowed us to see a lot of the things we were pretty sure we wanted to changed and now we are definite we want to change things and improve things."
    "Areas of the club have been neglected. Fine. But now we've got to take action. Bring the club that the level it can be that give Michael the best chance of being successful."

It is so important that the reps on the upcoming fans forum  bring this up and get a clear answer from them about how they specifically intend to go about taking this action? Where the improvements will be made and what is the time frame? He's said it's to give MA the best possible chance so being coy and hazy with those answers means they don't really mean what he says. Words not Action if you will.
    I just see this as an opportunity to actually hold them to some sort of account.
     I have an inkling that Methven and Scott are singing from different song sheets.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    I would bet that in the eyes of the fans ‘being successful’ is unambiguous and means one clear thing, promotion.
    I would have been more impressed if he had said ‘give Michael the best chance to win promotion this season’.
    He didn’t say that though, I suppose because that would mean staying in this division would be failure.
    The more insidious definition of ‘Michael being successful’ is that he somehow creates a platform or situation where success means cashing in on our home grown talent. The Katrine Meire mantra where we fans can watch the club create Premier League stars of the future at other clubs may be Andy Scott’s measure of ‘Michael being successful’.
    Our young players however have already done probably all they can so far, and many have been brought through and played, so what extra is Appleton supposed to add? 
    Maybe the secret ingredient is that Appleton has been brought in because he has a special knack of persuading other clubs to pay that little bit more for young players, a good salesman.
    I expect that Michael Appleton was at Colchester United yesterday in his capacity as Charlton Athletic manager and guru for making our excellent young players better, in order to watch our Zach Mitchell play.
    If Appleton went to Colchester it would be interesting, but maybe he didn’t go there, but went to Stevenage to size up next week’s opposition.
    It would be a disappointment to me if Michael Appleton stayed in and watched the Rugby.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I would bet that in the eyes of the fans ‘being successful’ is unambiguous and means one clear thing, promotion.
     Well Scott is in agreement with the fans then!
    (3 minutes 22secs)

Not sure Methven and his American friends agree??
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    3rd and no promotion is failure to me , it may be progression but I have had enough of third tier football let’s have some games and a fixture card that gets the blood going and it’s not happening in this shithouse league 
  • Options
    " We've been here 6 weeks and our job as an ownership group is to start improving all areas to bring it to the level that it should be."
    " The last 6 weeks have allowed us to see a lot of the things we were pretty sure we wanted to changed and now we are definite we want to change things and improve things."
    "Areas of the club have been neglected. Fine. But now we've got to take action. Bring the club that the level it can be that give Michael the best chance of being successful."

It is so important that the reps on the upcoming fans forum  bring this up and get a clear answer from them about how they specifically intend to go about taking this action? Where the improvements will be made and what is the time frame. He's said it's to give MA the best possible chance so being coy and hazy with those answers means they don't really mean what he says. Words not Action if you will.
    I just see this as an opportunity to actually hold them to some sort of account.
     I have an inkling that Methven and Scott are singing from different song sheets.
    Methven says he is a silent partner watching from the shore as the sailors struggle with the storm. He says no decisions are down to him doesn’t he? It is reported he had nothing whatsoever to do with the appointment of Michael Appleton.
    Methven likes to make us believe his work here is done.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2023
    seth plum said:

It is so important that the reps on the upcoming fans forum  bring this up and get a clear answer from them about how they specifically intend to go about taking this action? Where the improvements will be made and what is the time frame. He's said it's to give MA the best possible chance so being coy and hazy with those answers means they don't really mean what he says. Words not Action if you will.
    Methven says he is a silent partner watching from the shore as the sailors struggle with the storm. He says no decisions are down to him doesn’t he? It is reported he had nothing whatsoever to do with the appointment of Michael Appleton.
    Methven likes to make us believe his work here is done..
     I reckon in terms of the playing side he probably is. I just think What he promised the yanks to get them on board differs from what he told Andy Scott to get him on board.

Scott's interview was defiant one. I think he was sending a message out to the ownership. He mentioned a meeting with the players in which he told them the losing needs to stop but when the team is packed out with young kids is there really much they can do about it? He must know that?
     That's the kind of thing you say to a squad packed with senior pros. And as has been mentioned ,that's an area we failed to address in the window.

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I would have been more impressed if he had said ‘give Michael the best chance to win promotion this season’.
    He didn’t say that though, I suppose because that would mean staying in this division would be failure.
    The more insidious definition of ‘Michael being successful’ is that he somehow creates a platform or situation where success means cashing in on our home grown talent. The Katrine Meire mantra where we fans can watch the club create Premier League stars of the future at other clubs may be Andy Scott’s measure of ‘Michael being successful’.
    Our young players however have already done probably all they can so far, and many have been brought through and played, so what extra is Appleton supposed to add? 
    Maybe the secret ingredient is that Appleton has been brought in because he has a special knack of persuading other clubs to pay that little bit more for young players, a good salesman.
    I expect that Michael Appleton was at Colchester United yesterday in his capacity as Charlton Athletic manager and guru for making our excellent young players better, in order to watch our Zach Mitchell play.
    If Appleton went to Colchester it would be interesting, but maybe he didn’t go there, but went to Stevenage to size up next week’s opposition.
    It would be a disappointment to me if Michael Appleton stayed in and watched the Rugby.
    Appleton went to Stevenage, he said he was going to in his interview on the Charlton website. I’d expect nothing less and neither would 99% of our fans, except you of course. Stay home and watch the rugby? Jeez.

Very good. If Michael Appleton went to Stevenage it would’ve provided him with extra knowledge in order to get the necessary win there.
    If I wrote that Michael Appleton went to either Colchester of Stevenage how is that expecting less of him than other fans?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Appleton went to Stevenage, he said he was going to in his interview on the Charlton website. I’d expect nothing less and neither would 99% of our fans, except you of course. Stay home and watch the rugby? Jeez.

Very good. If Michael Appleton went to Stevenage it would’ve provided him with extra knowledge in order to get the necessary win there.
    If I wrote that Michael Appleton went to either Colchester of Stevenage how is that expecting less of him than other fans?
    Charlie's PR job still going strong
  • Options

It is so important that the reps on the upcoming fans forum  bring this up and get a clear answer from them about how they specifically intend to go about taking this action? Where the improvements will be made and what is the time frame? He's said it's to give MA the best possible chance so being coy and hazy with those answers means they don't really mean what he says. Words not Action if you will.

@carly burn

I'm not on the fans forum but have messaged those people I know who are and have suggested your questions.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

Because other fans expect the manager to be getting on with his job (including scouting/watching the opposition) and don't need it to be publicly announced and analysed.

Entitlement your name is Plum.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

Because other fans expect the manager to be getting on with his job (including scouting/watching the opposition) and don't need it to be publicly announced and analysed.

Entitlement your name is Plum.
    OK. You speak for the other fans and know what they expect. Is that knowledge a result of a survey you have conducted?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

Because you said you’d be disappointed if he’d instead stayed in to watch the Rugby. To even suggest he would is bizarre. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

Because you said you’d be disappointed if he’d instead stayed in to watch the Rugby. To even suggest he would is bizarre. 
    However he went to Stevenage, so it wasn’t disappointing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was just on BBC Radio London.

Speaks well and even used a housing apology.

But not much detail about exactly what are the standards that he says need improvement or what are the problems that need solving so left, me at least, frustrated.
  • Options
    He did say that the expectation is very much top six and promotion this season.
  • Options

But not much detail about exactly what are the standards that he says need improvement or what are the problems that need solving so left, me at least, frustrated.
     As you know, I've asked the trust to pose those sort of questions.
    No idea if Scott will be at the meeting,?
     But if they don't respond with answers that have some substance and realistic results then I think we can safely say they , like so many before them are talkers that don't or won't get things done.
  • Options
    Looks like this guy has a job for life. If it does not work out with the players he has brought in. All he needs to do is blame the manager and his support staff for not getting the best out of the players, he has brought in.
  • Options

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0g83k5h from 11 mins in - has Scott and Appleton interviews 
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0g83k5h from 11 mins in - has Scott and Appleton interviews 
    And some bloke called  Mendez : -)
  • Options
    Scott makes it clear in that interview that he had nothing to do with the appointment of Holden in the first place. Reading between the lines I don't think he rated him much.
  • Options
    Scott makes it clear in that interview that he had nothing to do with the appointment of Holden in the first place. Reading between the lines I don't think he rated him much.
    When Holden was doing well I’m sure there was a quote from Methven how he was his recommendation.