Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Scott Appointed Technical Director

Comments

• Options
    It’s all about delivering though isn’t it ? With a bit of media training it easy to say the right things and deliver them well. 

Scott doesn’t seem to be too good at convincing one of the managers that they approached to take the job , instead they have appointed the cheap option who approached them ……….
    They had to find someone who lived down to our smt's expectations.
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    So Appleton was the stand out interviewee (apart possibly from all the managers that turned us down) so when Appleton fails as he almost certainly will, who gets the chop, Appleton or Scott who has chosen him ?
    Should be both, then go get Curbs and Powell to replace them. Sorry I live for nostalgia 
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited September 2023
    Good interview, no action as always. 

Charlatan. 'Drive a culture of high standards' with Michael Appleton? Do me a favour. 

To be fair - Scott did say that they have found a manager to meet the current squad. MA is  likely cheap and that and that he worked well with youthful squads way back when. Clear that he is a head coach and not a manager, so cheap and less control over players being brought into the squad. Get promoted hmmm. Its not just down to just mentality but the quality and depth in the squad. Dean leaving, like it was his fault that eh left...... nothing to do with the lack of support he was provided with and the fact that he may have been not happy with the youth approach (yes it was a disorganised shambles as well).

It reminds me of the Duchatelet years - Its never the dubious strategy or underwhelming thrown together squad, its the revolving door of the manager's fault not magicing up success on a shoestring.
    If things need to improve, how about also getting a squad together for a full pre season - maybe looking at SMT performance as well and what mistakes they felt they made and being honest / open about it. Otherwise it is buck passing and deflection.
    Talk of a winning mentality is easy and cheap to do but more expensive to put in actual reality with actual quality and dollars spent / invested. 
    This interview is for the owners imo.
  • Options
    Waaaah 

Let's just watch and see. We have no control of anything.
  • Options
    CAFCDAZ said:
    fenaddick said:
    So Appleton was the stand out interviewee (apart possibly from all the managers that turned us down) so when Appleton fails as he almost certainly will, who gets the chop, Appleton or Scott who has chosen him ?
    Should be both, then go get Curbs and Powell to replace them. Sorry I live for nostalgia 
     I would totally agree with this, however firstly they need to prove they're not up to it. 
  • Options
    Nothing too much wrong with what he says 

But he and the rest of the Gang of Four themselves told us "actions, not words"
    Except didn’t all the same apply to appointing Holden?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We want to improve all areas at the club, except the poxy players Andy!!
  • Options
    In that interview, he sounds like he's describing someone who would make an excellent assistant manager or first-team coach.
  • Options
    Nothing too much wrong with what he says 

But he and the rest of the Gang of Four themselves told us "actions, not words"
    Is appointing Appleton not an action?

A shit one. But still an action
  • Options
    The bit about the last day of losing. And it cannot happen again. Strong words
    Surprised he decided to tie his own noose knot this early.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    All fallen apart since Gallen left! 
    Recruitment fell apart once TD left... Just saying!
    It did but is that cause or effect?
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Last chance saloon for Scott if Appleton fails. If Appleton goes then Scott is out the door as well in my opinion 
    Yep, if this doesn’t work then he has to be held accountable. Holden was his pick and didn’t work, Appleton is his second pick and last chance 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    shirty5 said:
    Last chance saloon for Scott if Appleton fails. If Appleton goes then Scott is out the door as well in my opinion 
    Yep, if this doesn’t work then he has to be held accountable. Holden was his pick and didn’t work, Appleton is his second pick and last chance 
    Yet Scott & Holden said in previous interviews they didn't know each other till Scott came in January and that they were getting to know each other.  I don't know if Scott picked Holden or not, but I got the impression they were thrown together and assumed it was Methven that brought DH to the club. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    shirty5 said:
    Yet Scott & Holden said in previous interviews they didn't know each other till Scott came in January and that they were getting to know each other.  I don't know if Scott picked Holden or not, but I got the impression they were thrown together and assumed it was Methven that brought DH to the club. 
    I remember at the time before Holden was appointed, I saw a rumour saying Scott was joining and had picked Holden to be manager. I had assumed that to be correct as both then joined. Possibly they didn’t know each other but Scott still interviewed and hired him and then they were getting to know each other. I’m fairly confident Holden was Scott’s choice 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m wondering where the promised Michael Appleton video is - as promised in the final paragraph on the club announcement.

• Options
    ^^ I couldn’t find it on the website either but there is a link to it on the Appleton thread (page 15?).
  • Options
    That interview was impressive. He almost seems angry that we’ve stood still and the players are not performing and he says it stops now . 
    That’s exactly what I want to hear but it’s action we want . 
    Thought the same. Sounded really exasperated!
    But will his word alone be enough to put a rocket up the likes of Kirk and the rest?
    I highly doubt it.

He bought the players and now the manager in. Bet he was hoping for someone better than Appleton to come in and save his skin.
  • Options
    Good interview, no action as always. 

Charlatan. 'Drive a culture of high standards' with Michael Appleton? Do me a favour. 
    He was a load of s*** in January as well.
  • Options
    I’m wondering where the promised Michael Appleton video is - as promised in the final paragraph on the club announcement.

It’s on the Charlton app. That’s where I watched it anyway.

Stuff like this should be made available on YouTube etc. IMO.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    And that would make things a bigger headache for Charlie boy.
    Wtf does he know about the game other than PR cobblers?
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    shirty5 said:
    Methven misleading/bull******** would be a first!
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    shirty5 said:
    I remember at the time before Holden was appointed, I saw a rumour saying Scott was joining and had picked Holden to be manager. I had assumed that to be correct as both then joined. Possibly they didn’t know each other but Scott still interviewed and hired him and then they were getting to know each other. I’m fairly confident Holden was Scott’s choice 
    Fair enough.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

"Players get the opportunity of a clean slate to show what they can do"

Thats 5 or 6 games into a new season people!!