Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Scott Appointed Technical Director

Comments

• Options
    Gallen was never responsible for scouting players. Its been said multiple times that he negotiated player prices and wages. Scouting the players would of been done by Driesen or Sandgaard Jr 
  • Options
    Hopefully this means that TS' black box is in the skip now.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Gallen was never responsible for scouting players. It’s been said multiple times that he negotiated player prices and wages. Scouting the players would of been done by Driesen or Sandgaard Jr 
    I would expect three of Scott’s direct reports would be Chief Scout (managing the scouting network), Performance Director (responsible primarily for analysis) and a Head of Recruitment (who would negotiate fees and salary within budgets). Scott will also be directly involved in all three.

Add to those three the Academy Director, Head of Medicine, and First Team Manager and coaches.
  • Options
    Gallen was never responsible for scouting players. It’s been said multiple times that he negotiated player prices and wages. Scouting the players would of been done by Driesen or Sandgaard Jr 
    So what was his role outside of the transfer windows ?
  • Options

The damn thing blew up when it was told it was shite.
  • Options
    He’s been here over 6 years, had different job titles and worked for various owners. I find it hard to believe he never got involved in scouting and never gave his opinion on players. I also can’t imagine negotiation was his only responsibility.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Waste not want not, we can get a few quid for it I believe.

• Options
    Gallen was never responsible for scouting players. Its been said multiple times that he negotiated player prices and wages. Scouting the players would of been done by Driesen or Sandgaard Jr 
    He's said himself that he goes to watch players before we sign them. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Anybody know what exactly a technical director does for their money?

Thank you.
    We know where the buck stops in some of the club activities.

Yep, as clear as mud.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    He’s been here over 6 years, had different job titles and worked for various owners. I find it hard to believe he never got involved in scouting and never gave his opinion on players. I also can’t imagine negotiation was his only responsibility.
    This is the problem, even he changed the narrative almost every time he was interviewed.

He, personally, watch Lavelle multiple times.  Source Steve Gallen.  Steve and Martin are always out in the car watching players.  Source Thomas.  All whilst being at almost all of our games.

I think it was quite easy to believe that Gallen was responsible for good stuff and Martin and previously Tommy D were responsible for the bad.

Our recruitment with Gallen, under Roland, was very good considering the budget we had available. 

Our recruitment since, has been quite frankly awful, until now.

How much credit/blame for that should Gallen get?  The truth is we will probably never know.  It's a lot easier to give the credit to an affable football man and the blame to people that had no right having the job they had.  
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    This is the problem, even he changed the narrative almost every time he was interviewed.

He, personally, watch Lavelle multiple times.  Source Steve Gallen.  Steve and Martin are always out in the car watching players.  Source Thomas.  All whilst being at almost all of our games.

I think it was quite easy to believe that Gallen was responsible for good stuff and Martin and previously Tommy D were responsible for the bad.

Our recruitment with Gallen, under Roland, was very good considering the budget we had available. 

How much credit/blame for that should Gallen get?  The truth is we will probably never know.  It's a lot easier to give the credit to an affable football man and the blame to people that had no right having the job they had.  
    Perhaps Gallen wasn't very good all along and the good recruitment under Roland was thanks to Driesen?

*runs for cover*
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

And then add in the player signing videos where Gallen appears and you have a lot of "x reached out to us and made x known", " I was speaking to Dougie and...", "The Chelsea youth/ loan manager and"

And thats where most of his worth came, his contact book and 120 footballing brothers. He's never been a scout in the traditional sense, sure he probably does cast his eye over players once put forward.
  • Options

The so called "black box" or Computers with all players data on has been around for some time but Steve Gallen has 100 % scouted players in his time at CAFC. His remit has included player prices and wages but we were so short staffed a few years ago he had to do most jobs in recruiting himself.

Two seasons ago a part time coach at Cafc of the U13 was at a Kent League match watching an 18 year old who Charlton had released when he was 15 but had now been getting good reviews and had grown! This is how it worked at the time and Steve Gallen would've got feed back. When no one was available to watch potential players Gallen went himself.

With Gallen and his network of contacts at other clubs, the chats on the phone, texts, emails and coffee and chats in grounds were used to hear about players as much as the pejorative Black box. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

And then add in the player signing videos where Gallen appears and you have a lot of "x reached out to us and made x known", " I was speaking to Dougie and...", "The Chelsea youth/ loan manager and"

And thats where most of his worth came, his contact book and 120 footballing brothers. He's never been a scout in the traditional sense, sure he probably does cast his eye over players once put forward.
    I think that's probably a good summation.  Contacts and contracts are his game.  

Not only loans but Page, Parker, Inniss, Williams off the top of my head were all either released or pay off so they could sign for us.
  • Options
    From conversations with Thomas Sandgaard, I was led to believe that Steve's strength lay in negotiating the deals when signing new players and his ability to handle the agents and representatives of other clubs made him invaluable to us. Don't forget, it was his personal contact that landed us Rak-Sakyi last summer.
    But didn’t Gallen say that he’d never heard of JRS before he was offered to us. If that’s wrong then apologies to SG but frankly I’d expect our chief player negotiator / scout (?), head cook and bottle washer (?)  to know every PL starlet and most in The Championship. I would have expected us to have a database on every professional footballer in at least England. 
  • Options
    The best summer we ever had for recruitment was the 100+ season under Powell, Dyer and the Chief Scout Big Phil Chappel.

All about contacts and contracts and the football network. 

As we all know the X-factor player Yann Kermorgant came later after the season started because Chris Powell worked with him at Leicester when he was assistant to Nigel Pearson.

A squad assembled to get us out of League 1 and it worked a treat. 

Déjà vu in 23/24 🤞✔️💁🏻‍♂️💁🏿‍♂️
  • Options
    From conversations with Thomas Sandgaard, I was led to believe that Steve's strength lay in negotiating the deals when signing new players and his ability to handle the agents and representatives of other clubs made him invaluable to us. Don't forget, it was his personal contact that landed us Rak-Sakyi last summer.
    But didn’t Gallen say that he’d never heard of JRS before he was offered to us. If that’s wrong then apologies to SG but frankly I’d expect our chief player negotiator / scout (?), head cook and bottle washer (?)  to know every PL starlet and most in The Championship. I would have expected us to have a database on every professional footballer in at least England. 
    https://www.charltonafc.com/video/player/0_6pqzngc3
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Interesting to note that was the 11th of August.

Surely we are more of an attractive proposition for premier league clubs, as it’s looks like we’re doing good business and better run?

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Interesting to note that was the 11th of August.

Surely we are more of an attractive proposition for premier league clubs, as it’s looks like we’re doing good business and better run?

Pretty sure that Andy Scott has a good reputation and a very thick address book.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    happy with this - we've been crying out for experienced football people to run the club and now we've got them - i've been impressed with everything ive seen from the new regime since the takeover was confirmed a week or so ago - couldn't give a monkey's about the colour of methven's trousers - i like what he had to say and i like the look of the team he's assembled - feeling very optimistic about it all 
  • Options
    The best summer we ever had for recruitment was the 100+ season under Powell, Dyer and the Chief Scout Big Phil Chappel.

All about contacts and contracts and the football network. 

As we all know the X-factor player Yann Kermorgant came later after the season started because Chris Powell worked with him at Leicester when he was assistant to Nigel Pearson.

A squad assembled to get us out of League 1 and it worked a treat. 

Déjà vu in 23/24 🤞✔️💁🏻‍♂️💁🏿‍♂️
     Lennie Lawrences summer rebuild wasn't too shabby