Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Methven: Global Football Partners have no plans to ‘flip’ Charlton Athletic

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I am waiting for the answer from anybody in this regime to give a clear answer as to ‘why Charlton?’
    That is like asking those American billionaire brothers why they have bought Bedford Real. I can not fathom that, but it happened.
  • Options
    We are going to have to make some amazing signings to make a push from 16th to top 6 next season.

Of course it is possible, but not easy, just hope Nathan and the Charlton fanbase aren’t let down again.
  • Options
    Damned impressive deal to give Jones

Bit risky too seeing we've not had a Manager in 4 years who has lasted a full season
  • Options
    Kenny J from Gillingham was scouting at the Valley last weekend and I suspect he was looking at TT. I suspect he did not skip to his car post game, because that would have looked plain fcuking weird, but hope he saw enough of an elite League 2 defender there to give him a go. Like above, I think both TT and Hec will be leaving and while I love the fact that TT is a fellow CAFC fan, if we want a genuine promotion push next season, there is zero room for sentiment. 
  • Options
    We are going to have to make some amazing signings to make a push from 16th to top 6 next season.

Of course it is possible, but not easy, just hope Nathan and the Charlton fanbase aren’t let down again.
    Not sure I totally agree. With the current squad, if starting the season, I think Jones could get them top ten. However, wholesale changes needed to get us top two and those signings need to be permanent ones who are then good enough for the step up to the Championship. That started with Coventry who @RonnieMoore assures us is already Championship ready.
  • Options
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/sport/charlton-athletic-owners-fully-intent-on-backing-nathan-jones-in-summer-transfer-window/

Bit of a rehash of the OS interview but some additional info, to me at least EG

Jones on 4.5 year contract

Jones was in last two for Spanner job when Edwards was appointed.

No talks with Thomas as yet over new deal.

Aim next season is "big promotion push".

"Ownership group, who were very, very clear that they want to back the manager in his aspirations.”
     Really don't think he'll be here next season. Same goes for Hector
    And if this talk of going for promotion is true, then neither should be. 
  • Options
    The Jones 4.5 year contract isn’t new news, he confirmed it himself in an interview at some point.
    Fair enough, don't remember that and don't think it was given out when he joined.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Jones 4.5 year contract isn’t new news, he confirmed it himself in an interview at some point.
    Fair enough, don't remember that and don't think it was given out when he joined.
    It wasn’t stated when he joined but in a later interview, weeks later, he confirmed the length of the contract.
  • Options

Agreed we need a cracking summer of transfer business. 

However, out of interest, what did Oxford (19th to 7th currently) and Lincoln (11th to 6th currently) do last summer to improve there position within one season. Wonder if they both made amazing signings. 

Pompey are another example who improved considerably from last season.  In their case getting the new manager in at the back end of the season to have a look at what he had in the building would have helped I'm sure. I don't think they just made amazing signings, they also did some of their main business early too.

So I suspect It's a variety of ingredients needed for success, and the ownership already have a great leader of the first team in place.

• Options
    What I can pick out is that two of those three teams changed their manager around January/February time the season before…
  • Options
    Interview with Methven in 'The Masthead', South East London Chamber of Commerce's quarterly business magazine.
    https://www.selondonchamber.org/masthead/
    Interview below
    https://issuu.com/benham/docs/the_masthead_may_23
  • Options

Agreed we need a cracking summer of transfer business. 

However, out of interest, what did Oxford (19th to 7th currently) and Lincoln (11th to 6th currently) do last summer to improve there position within one season. Wonder if they both made amazing signings. 
    Oxford did some good business in the summer, from memory
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Good luck “flipping” us now (if that were ever the intention!) - doubt our value has been this low in the modern era. 
    I thought that when Southall got found out. Since then ESI has made a decent profit and so did Thomas
  • Options
    Did Sandgaard make a profit from us?
  • Options
    No, TS sold us for more than he bought us for but overall made a big, multi £million loss
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    doubt it
  • Options
    edited April 26
    If you believe the other forum, the ownership want an “Ipswich model” type of summer.

I will wait to see it with my own eyes before I believe it. Especially as Ipswich’s accounts showed they spent £8m on players during the 22/23 period.

• Options
    edited April 26
    If you believe the other forum, the ownership want an “Ipswich model” type of summer.

I will wait to see it with my own eyes before I believe it. Especially as Ipswich’s accounts showed they spent £8m on players during the 22/23 period.

Seems to be differing figures around, below from another site:

2022/23: Transfer Ins

Total: £2,182,400

2022/23: Transfer Outs

Total: £510,400

https://salarysport.com/football/ipswich-town/transfers/

• Options
    edited April 26
    That’s fair. Got the graph above from Kieran Maguire who is usually pretty on the mark with this kind of thing.

The link you shared has “unknown” transfer fees listed for four players which aren’t included in the transfers in total. Plus any loan fees they might have paid?

https://x.com/kieranmaguire/status/1771322350958518713?s=46&t=ynww82GMl7VKBjthBflU0g
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Chunes said:
    I might be wrong but I don't think these new owners came into a club with a gutted infrastructure. It was Roland who left a gutted infrastructure to Sandgaard. And TS, for all his failures, at least invested into rebuilding. The improvements at the training ground speak for themselves, the investments in the medical department, and the ultimately failed effort to gain Category 1 status. Sandgaard still managed to finish higher than this lot, having walked into a club that had been run on a gaffa-taped shoestring. Methven & Co have inherited less of a mess than TS did, and yet so far have managed to perform much worse.
    Isn’t the story that Methven met with/spoke to/contacted Sandgaard and said he could run a football club better/properly?
    You are right, judging by results (and the training ground physical development) so far Sandgaard has a better track record than all the billionaires who own apparently 95% of our shares.
    I am curious as to how somebody with apparently 5% is calling the shots. Is it a case of the tail wagging the dog, or has the dog had it’s tail ‘docked’ and yet the tail still has life in it in London, whilst the dog is out of the picture overseas?
    Like all of them, Methven is on a salary. Looks like his appearances and speak are part of his role.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Seems to be differing figures around, below from another site:

2022/23: Transfer Ins

Total: £2,182,400

2022/23: Transfer Outs

Total: £510,400

https://salarysport.com/football/ipswich-town/transfers/

Ouch Forest Green spent up large and got relegated and are about to get relegated again. Their finances must be apocalyptic. I used to work with the current CEO. He went in after the League One relegation. He will be having some sleepless nights.