Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Methven: Global Football Partners have no plans to ‘flip’ Charlton Athletic

Charlie Methven has dispelled talk that Charlton Athletic’s new owners are looking to cash in quickly on the League One club.
https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlie-methven-global-football-partners-have-no-plans-to-flip-charlton-athletic/

Comments

• Options
    clive said:
    Charlie Methven has dispelled talk that Charlton Athletic’s new owners are looking to cash in quickly on the League One club.
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlie-methven-global-football-partners-have-no-plans-to-flip-charlton-athletic/
    How close is what he said about Sunderland to what people here think happened?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Decent interview, no real concerns, and said what I would have expected him to say.

Does seem somewhat bizarre though that an article about dispelling rumours of a flip is required a week or so after purchase!
    I might be wrong but I think the quotes have been taken from his BBC interview earlier in the week when he was specifically asked about the suggestion they want to flip the club. There’s a link to listen back somewhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To cash in quickly, they would have to get us to the premiership in two seasons. If they cashed in after that, I’d have no problem.
    I’d be happy if they got us to the fringes of Championship playoffs, although that would be an odd moment to want out.
  • Options
    For someone that is not involved in the day-to-day running of our club, it seems like every single day he's talking to a different news reporter about us. 
  • Options
    Right right now it is all about secure ongoing funding so the club isn’t under threat.
    Pay the bills get the points.
  • Options
    I think by not being involved in day to day running he means not involved in footballing decisions and not involved in commercial or staffing decisions. He’s stated he is the conduit between SMT and owners. I think that’s fair enough. He has a stake after all.
    Agreed - conduit to the owners and the public face (non-football, that has to be Scott/Holden) of the club.
  • Options
    For someone that is not involved in the day-to-day running of our club, it seems like every single day he's talking to a different news reporter about us. 
    I understand your point entirely, but the reality of it is he's the face of the takeover and the unofficial "bridge" between the club and ownership. So if you were a reporter he would most likely be your go to man for a story.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I understand your point entirely, but the reality of it is he's the face of the takeover and the unofficial "bridge" between the club and ownership. So if you were a reporter he would most likely be your go to man for a story.
    We were told point blank that he wouldn't be. Back when they were leaking things to supporters to get us 'on side'. 
  • Options
    Charlie has done his home work on Charlton Life for sure.

“I’m not saying no chance – because never say never. Who knows? Some guy could come over the horizon who decides his single biggest wish in life is to buy Charlton. It’s rather like owning a nice house. You don’t want to sell it but then somebody comes along and changes your mind.
    All lol's and jokes aside I couldn't help but feel it seems he's been browsing this forum and telling us what we want to hear, I noticed this as well in the interview with the dossier.
  • Options
    Like I said I think this is taken from his BBC interview the other night. Cawley has then turned it into multiple articles as it’s too big for a one and generates content for the SLP.
  • Options
    We were told point blank that he wouldn't be. Back when they were leaking things to supporters to get us 'on side'. 
    And us not being onside affected it how ?
  • Options
    "What's the exit strategy?"
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    "What's the exit strategy?"
    Hopefully, it includes an exit strategy for Burger Boy - even if it does take a couple of months. 
    In which case it would be a welcome Michaelmas present!
  • Options
    Pleased with recruitment thus far, however I’m not entirely convinced (yet) by the ‘bigger the consortium the more stable it is’ line and it’s very clear that there is a concerted attempt afoot to address concerns about stability and the academy.

I’m cautiously optimistic, however I still struggle to see where the value is in the club and think promotion then sale remains a distinct possibility. I take the suggestion that this “is about passion” with a huge pinch of salt. A bunch of rich Americans have brought us for passion??

After the last decade we need to remain optimistic & vigilant beyond a few soothing words and promising signings.

However I do think it’s going to be a positive season.