Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Methven: Global Football Partners have no plans to ‘flip’ Charlton Athletic

Comments

• Options
    Just letting you know I intend to win Euromillions, starting preliminary talks at the corner shop soon.
  • Options
    Yes lads, because securing players on longer term contracts with us is of course comparable with winning something that is a one in 300 million chance  ;)
  • Options
    Maybe, just maybe, leaking that we turned down a share of £4.25m for Dobbo and CBT might not be the smartest opening gambit when trying to renegotiate their contracts.
  • Options
    Unless the offer is too good to turn down (very unlikely), then I can't see why would either want to sign at the moment. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    seth plum said:
    Just letting you know I intend to win Euromillions, starting preliminary talks at the corner shop soon.
    Only fair to warn you SP, if you don't win the jackpot that will be considered failure in my eyes...
    It's a must win lottery
  • Options
    Maybe, just maybe, leaking that we turned down a share of £4.25m for Dobbo and CBT might not be the smartest opening gambit when trying to renegotiate their contracts.
    It’s not going to be news to their agents though is it so doesn’t really change much 
  • Options
    Well we wouldn't want to let them walk away for free at the end of the season, get them on decent contracts & we can get a decent fee when we sell them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    How is there any room in the budget for a wage increase for these two? Charlie Methven has just said the club has had to write an apology letter to the EFL for going over the limit already 
    CM lied about that?
    We have invested enough equity to handle it?
    We will get rid of other high wage earners come end of the season?
    They'll leave in January?

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    seth plum said:
    Only fair to warn you SP, if you don't win the jackpot that will be considered failure in my eyes...
    Absolutely.
    However Samuel Beckett said ‘try, fail, try again, fail better.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    How is there any room in the budget for a wage increase for these two? Charlie Methven has just said the club has had to write an apology letter to the EFL for going over the limit already 
    CM and his mob could be actively increasing the club's turnover as every week and month pass.
    The financial common sense of speculating increased wages on GD & CBT in the short term as a defense against losing them for nowt in June is easily explained to the equity holders, who may well be happy to introduce funds.  Who's to say that any extended deal necessarily pays them more this season?  Any pay rise might start from July.
    One thing's for sure, talking to their agents ain't gonna cost CAFC anything.  The cost of not talking to them could be catastrophic.
    If you're really cynical, CM might have given Cawley a crock of plausible baloney, if you're cynical.
  • Options
    So CM and co. can say in January ‘well we tried but they had offers elsewhere and so we sold now to stop them leaving on a free’. 
  • Options
    People have already raised the issue of what happens when the u21 players are no longer u21 and the fire sale that will occur to remain inside the budget. 
    But there is also the question of what happens when the academy do not produce 5 to 8 first team capable players to fill the gap left by those in the first team who are no longer u21 
    Academies do not turn out genius players or even league 1 capable players every season there are times of drought.
    The Metheven plan seems very precarious.
  • Options
    Well we wouldn't want to let them walk away for free at the end of the season, get them on decent contracts & we can get a decent fee when we sell them.
    Can’t see either signing unless we are in the Championship.
  • Options
    Can’t see either signing unless we are in the Championship.

IF true that we turned down offers for these two I imagine they will be out of the door come January. 
  • Options
    Both 25 years old. Sign a 2/3 year contract with us if the money is more than what they currently earn.

If not wait till January and see if they want to sell the pair of you.

If still with the club after that see where we are in the league. If no hope of a promotion on the cards by then, let take your chances during the summer. 

If Derby and Wrexham were interested last month then there’s no reason (bar a long term injury) why they and possibly others may come back in with a bid. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    sell youth
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    sell youth
    SELLING YOUTH DOESN'T COUNT TOWARDS FFP - IT'S WAGES OF OVER 21 YEAR OLD PLAYERS VERSUS TURNOVER- THAT'S THE ISSUE CM SAYS WE HAVE!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    Both 25 years old. Sign a 2/3 year contract with us if the money is more than what they currently earn.

If still with the club after that see where we are in the league. If no hope of a promotion on the cards by then, let take your chances during the summer. 

If Derby and Wrexham were interested last month then there’s no reason (bar a long term injury) why they and possibly others may come back in with a bid. 
    Really depends if they want to stay doesn't it really, they will certainly get offered good deals by Charlton, but that might be enough, if they have interest from other clubs.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    DubaiCAFC said:
    shirty5 said:

Really depends if they want to stay doesn't it really, they will certainly get offered good deals by Charlton, but that might be enough, if they have interest from other clubs.
    You know as much as me if they will get good deals. It’s all assumption

Short career for the pair
  • Options
    It's sad being a Charlton fan these days, as I'd completely understand Dobson and CBT deciding to see their contract out and aim to move to the Championship. 

Damn, we're used to players in contract refusing to play for us, to protect their dream and still end up being complimented and respected by their then, gaffer.
  • Options
    As if either are signing new contracts.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Billy_Mix said:
    Chunes said:
    CM and his mob could be actively increasing the club's turnover as every week and month pass.
    The financial common sense of speculating increased wages on GD & CBT in the short term as a defense against losing them for nowt in June is easily explained to the equity holders, who may well be happy to introduce funds.  Who's to say that any extended deal necessarily pays them more this season?  Any pay rise might start from July.
    One thing's for sure, talking to their agents ain't gonna cost CAFC anything.  The cost of not talking to them could be catastrophic.
    If you're really cynical, CM might have given Cawley a crock of plausible baloney, if you're cynical.
    If they're going to be offered new contracts but with new salaries that don't come into force until July, they might as well wait to see what other offers they have in July. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    shirty5 said:

You know as much as me if they will get good deals. It’s all assumption

Short career for the pair
    You would assume they would get better deals they are currently on, being our best performers. 
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said:
    sell youth
    SELLING YOUTH DOESN'T COUNT TOWARDS FFP - IT'S WAGES OF OVER 21 YEAR OLD PLAYERS VERSUS TURNOVER- THAT'S THE ISSUE CM SAYS WE HAVE!
    Not true.

If we sell a youth player the fee goes into our turnover amount so increases our FFP limit so our ability pay wages to CBT and Dobson increases.

It's only u21 wages that don't count
    You are correct.   My bad.   However, we can't sell players until January so any new offer of a contract I guess would get inked then too?
    but you want to keep Dobson and CBT and sell Leaburn in January?
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    Rothko said:
    and there is an argument that Scott got the recruitment right at Forest, and it needed time to bed in 
    It DOESN'T change the fact he was out of work when he joined us.
    It also doesn't change the fact he was given an unlimited budget and scope when in the Forest role.   That isn't the case here.   I'm not saying he won't be good for us - but the question of why - I have answered it, I think.
    Wasn't the question "why would the investors stump up their cash on such an unlikely gamble"; rather than "why would a bunch of unemployed folk take a new job" though? 
    Because the investors simply have no idea what CM has sold them is unachievable.   £12m punt between 3 of them, no need for further cash outside what is planned in the business plan - ability worst case to sell three or four players and get their money back.

The upside - significant.

It's small beer for them - they aren't worried about it but if it works, they'll really enjoy the upside.

Not counting Charlieboy, I think there are 6 investors.  Do we really think that 6 super wealthy investors have all taken a punt on Charlie's numbers without looking into it themselves? 
    £1-3M each (or whatever it is) may be small beer in their net worth but they will have advisors going through their presented investment opportunities and picking holes or they would not stay wealthy for very long! 
    The 3 main guys at least are global Investors who will have countless opportunities presented to them all the time.  
    I don't know what the answer is and maybe you are right and they are just all rich mugs... but I just reckon they paid next to nowt for us (not the fabled and never proven £12M) and then it starts to make a bit of sense as a low risk punt.
    I'm a film distributor - and it's very similar to football.   There are many, many, many billionaires and multi millionaires who invest a few hundred thousand - few million into an independent film based on a presentation that the film they are investing into could be the next Blairwitch Project, Paranormal Activity, Lock Stock etc

It happens.

It really does.    They are THAT wealthy, it is "risk money" and it's for the hope of it winning an Oscar/breaking out/getting into the Premier League.   Delete as applicable.

Fair enough and I don't know a lot about the film industry so Excuse my ignorance there but don't about 50% of movies make money? What is that % in football outside PL or tiny tiny clubs - close to 0%.  Seems a much bigger risk.

Also films are a one off investment, not a potential continual drain.  There are no fans getting on your back if it goes wrong and there are (or used to be) tax advantages even if you lost money.

It just makes no sense to me.. but then I am not wealthy enough to have to make the call on these things so it doesn't really matter. 😃
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    Rothko said:
    and there is an argument that Scott got the recruitment right at Forest, and it needed time to bed in 
    It DOESN'T change the fact he was out of work when he joined us.
    It also doesn't change the fact he was given an unlimited budget and scope when in the Forest role.   That isn't the case here.   I'm not saying he won't be good for us - but the question of why - I have answered it, I think.
    Wasn't the question "why would the investors stump up their cash on such an unlikely gamble"; rather than "why would a bunch of unemployed folk take a new job" though? 
    Because the investors simply have no idea what CM has sold them is unachievable.   £12m punt between 3 of them, no need for further cash outside what is planned in the business plan - ability worst case to sell three or four players and get their money back.

The upside - significant.

It's small beer for them - they aren't worried about it but if it works, they'll really enjoy the upside.

Not counting Charlieboy, I think there are 6 investors.  Do we really think that 6 super wealthy investors have all taken a punt on Charlie's numbers without looking into it themselves? 
    £1-3M each (or whatever it is) may be small beer in their net worth but they will have advisors going through their presented investment opportunities and picking holes or they would not stay wealthy for very long! 
    The 3 main guys at least are global Investors who will have countless opportunities presented to them all the time.  
    I don't know what the answer is and maybe you are right and they are just all rich mugs... but I just reckon they paid next to nowt for us (not the fabled and never proven £12M) and then it starts to make a bit of sense as a low risk punt.
    I'm a film distributor - and it's very similar to football.   There are many, many, many billionaires and multi millionaires who invest a few hundred thousand - few million into an independent film based on a presentation that the film they are investing into could be the next Blairwitch Project, Paranormal Activity, Lock Stock etc

It happens.

It really does.    They are THAT wealthy, it is "risk money" and it's for the hope of it winning an Oscar/breaking out/getting into the Premier League.   Delete as applicable.

Fair enough and I don't know a lot about the film industry so Excuse my ignorance there but don't about 50% of movies make money? What is that % in football outside PL or tiny tiny clubs - close to 0%.  Seems a much bigger risk.

Also films are a one off investment, not a potential continual drain.  There are no fans getting on your back if it goes wrong and there are (or used to be) tax advantages even if you lost money.

It just makes no sense to me.. but then I am not wealthy enough to have to make the call on these things so it doesn't really matter. 😃
    90% of independent movies don't make money.    This is where smoke and mirrors comes along.   Studios only exist and make "profit" due to the Harry Potters/Star Wars/franchise films sadly.