Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Methven: Global Football Partners have no plans to ‘flip’ Charlton Athletic

Comments

• Options
    “Flaky” means “I don’t want to do it and neither do the investors”
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Well then by his logic we aren't going anywhere. 

There's no chance you're getting promoted out of this league with academy players occupying most positions in the team (can't think of any club who have managed this) and if your transfer window entirely depends on shifting out deadweight we aren't going to have one until their contracts expire.

To get club revenue up and attendances up you need to put good players on the pitch, people aren't going to become Charlton fans watching players such as the ones they are trying to offload. They need to take the hit.

I think I have asked this before and no one seemed to know. I understand that we can't go over the wage budget structure so we need to try and offload player A to club B to ensure we can then bring in a new player. Are we allowed to pay off our own players contract to take away their wages from the books and bring in a new player?

Apologies if someone has explained this before, I can't remember 
    You can't just "pay" off players.

They have to agree to it.

But assuming the player does agree the spend on paying them off is still spending on players so still hits your budget.
    Ah ok cheers for clearing that up. I wasn't sure if that would be some kind of way around it.

Could have been a case of paying them off (if they accepted) and then delving into the free agents. I imagine the players we were wanting to shift would have accepted it to get some cash and find a new club.

So realistically then our only chance of a really good budget is if we sell out The Valley consistently? Or am I reading this wrong 
    Well in that case it's a vicious circle. We're not going to get big crowds coming to see a team bolted together on a budget. So the budget goes down. So the crowd shrinks. So the budget goes down.... repeat until eventual demise.
    Yea I said this on twitter to someone that it's a vicious cycle.

It's slightly off topic but there are parallels, I used to compete on a game a while back, done it for years and played at a 'professional' level. We had a massive issue where the main sponsors (Microsoft) wouldn't fund us as they would say there wasn't enough interest in Europe to carry on and would put the majority of the money towards America. Which eventually killed off the European region.

They would always argue back 'we will add more money if more people play' and I would always tell them that people will just want to do something else with their time or play a different game competitively. Fast forward the whole scene is dead cause they wouldn't invest and stuck with their guns. 

It's similar here that they are expecting people to turn up to games without actually convincing the locals that it's worth attending. With 9 London clubs all doing better than us (7 of which drastically so) how do you convince the stragglers and neutrals to come to us. 

It will get to a point where it keeps on dwindling, they need to take the hit to get us in the championship, this current situation is beyond unsustainable in League 1 
  • Options

There's no chance you're getting promoted out of this league with academy players occupying most positions in the team (can't think of any club who have managed this) and if your transfer window entirely depends on shifting out deadweight we aren't going to have one until their contracts expire.

To get club revenue up and attendances up you need to put good players on the pitch, people aren't going to become Charlton fans watching players such as the ones they are trying to offload. They need to take the hit.

I think I have asked this before and no one seemed to know. I understand that we can't go over the wage budget structure so we need to try and offload player A to club B to ensure we can then bring in a new player. Are we allowed to pay off our own players contract to take away their wages from the books and bring in a new player?

But assuming the player does agree the spend on paying them off is still spending on players so still hits your budget.
    Ah ok cheers for clearing that up. I wasn't sure if that would be some kind of way around it.

Could have been a case of paying them off (if they accepted) and then delving into the free agents. I imagine the players we were wanting to shift would have accepted it to get some cash and find a new club.

So realistically then our only chance of a really good budget is if we sell out The Valley consistently? Or am I reading this wrong 
    Our budget is probably already a ‘good’ budget for this level, definitely in the top 6. Selling out the valley would obviously help but we’ve already got one of the biggest budgets in the league. 

Our problem is the amount of budget that is taken up by players like Kirk, Aneke, McGrandles, Jaiyesimi that aren’t really being used. Which is why it looks like the owners had to step in and put a little extra in, because they probably planned to get rid of Kirk and McGrandles this summer 
  • Options
    Whether the investors put it in as equity or a loan they're likely to lose money unless we get promoted as I can't see anyone that will pay anywhere near £12m for the club from them so put in as equity and give us the best chance possible - which in my opinion, is as early as possible -  NOT after we lose Dobson, CBT and sell Leaburn.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Whether the investors put it in as equity or a loan they're likely to lose money unless we get promoted as I can't see anyone that will pay anywhere near £12m for the club from them so put in as equity and give us the best chance possible - which in my opinion, is as early as possible -  NOT after we lose Dobson, CBT and sell Leaburn.
    Yep I think this year is (maybe was!) a huge opportunity. Weaker league and we still have those 3 players. Be very lucky to have even 1 of them next season 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

Our budget is probably already a ‘good’ budget for this level, definitely in the top 6. Selling out the valley would obviously help but we’ve already got one of the biggest budgets in the league. 

Our problem is the amount of budget that is taken up by players like Kirk, Aneke, McGrandles, Jaiyesimi that aren’t really being used. Which is why it looks like the owners had to step in and put a little extra in, because they probably planned to get rid of Kirk and McGrandles this summer 
    I will say that is one thing that se7 partners can’t be blamed for.  They inherited a lot of duds, and St Johnstone is the only one we’ve been able to get off the books (I don’t know if we’re still paying some of his wages).  Someone like Kirk could’ve been a really good bit of business had he turned out alright, it’s just not happened that way and now the 4 year contract looks stupid.  The worst one for me is/was Aneke.  Whoever was involved in bringing him back really screwed us.  Resigning him will probably go down as one of the worst transfers we’ve done for a good few years 
  • Options
    So he has really only confirmed what we already knew that it’s a limited budget that did not balance because we did not offload some players. 

I don’t think he has said equity has or will definitely be injected. I think the words may mean they will if they have to. The budget will change again in January after player deals then. I infer he’s just said what he needs to for now because these things presumably only get reconciled at the end of a season. 

More significant is the ‘my investors’ and ‘as owner’. 
  • Options
    He’s no more an owner of Charlton than I am of any company I own shares in. He doesn’t have a majority interest. He’s just an employee of the real owners. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Here's a conspiracy starter for 10. McGrandles wasn't offloaded in the window because Appleton said he wanted him in the squad - This before Appleton was supposedly selected. It's a theory i feel holds no water, but knock your socks off with it.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    The McGrandles that's injured and therefore couldn't go anywhere on loan you mean?
    Ah, but was he really injured or is that just a smoke screen! 
  • Options
    Why bother 
    it’s a gazillion to 1 shot to earn fuck all anyway if everything works out within reason 

• Options
    “Why is it a problem?
    The reason it’s a problem is that you can cover with ownership equity funding the additional spending for the current season, but when you sign players on three and four-year contracts, that gap remains for many seasons afterwards. You are building up a cost model which your club cannot support."

"I had to write, as the owner, a letter to the EFL apologizing for this, explaining why it had happened and effectively agreeing that we would cover the excess with an equity injection."

He also describes himself as the owner - Ronnie Moore!

And says, 'my investors'.
  • Options
    Reading deducted 3 points as the directors haven't paid up for exceeding the budget this week.
  • Options
    Why bother 

This is the million dollar question.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    and there is an argument that Scott got the recruitment right at Forest, and it needed time to bed in 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    and there is an argument that Scott got the recruitment right at Forest, and it needed time to bed in 
    It DOESN'T change the fact he was out of work when he joined us.
    It also doesn't change the fact he was given an unlimited budget and scope when in the Forest role.   That isn't the case here.   I'm not saying he won't be good for us - but the question of why - I have answered it, I think.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Rothko said:
    It also doesn't change the fact he was given an unlimited budget and scope when in the Forest role.   That isn't the case here.   I'm not saying he won't be good for us - but the question of why - I have answered it, I think.
    Wasn't the question "why would the investors stump up their cash on such an unlikely gamble"; rather than "why would a bunch of unemployed folk take a new job" though? 
  • Options
    @KingKinsella said:

ttps://www.charltonafc.com/news/methven-new-independent-football-regulator

There are a lot of experts on this site that might have opinions on this, both the rules and/or CM's intrepretation.

My comments would be

1) when 8 under 21 players get older and progress to becoming part of the clubs (measured under SCMP) player wage bill - we will hit a brick wall requiring a massive cash injection. (Assuming that they haven't been sold.....)

2) We have several injured players/out of form players who command a high wage, we are carrying a large dead weight in the wages which is not productive. So we look like a high spending club - and we ARE. But this money is wasted. Let me be clear this is not the fault of the players- it's the fault of the owners/managers that wanted those players and were over generous in salaries and length of contract in their attempts to get them. 

As always I always add - I know nothing- just an interested observer
    Just to add this scenario with a lot of under 21's coming of age and hence on the monitored SCMP wage bill, faced with the choice of an injection of cash or selling a young talent the owners may choose to sell. But other clubs are smart and may realise we are "distressed" sellers and we will more than likely fail to get the value we expect for the talent
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Rothko said:
    Wasn't the question "why would the investors stump up their cash on such an unlikely gamble"; rather than "why would a bunch of unemployed folk take a new job" though? 
    Because the investors simply have no idea what CM has sold them is unachievable.   £12m punt between 3 of them, no need for further cash outside what is planned in the business plan - ability worst case to sell three or four players and get their money back.

The upside - significant.

It's small beer for them - they aren't worried about it but if it works, they'll really enjoy the upside.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    Rothko said:
    Because the investors simply have no idea what CM has sold them is unachievable.   £12m punt between 3 of them, no need for further cash outside what is planned in the business plan - ability worst case to sell three or four players and get their money back.

It's small beer for them - they aren't worried about it but if it works, they'll really enjoy the upside.

Not counting Charlieboy, I think there are 6 investors.  Do we really think that 6 super wealthy investors have all taken a punt on Charlie's numbers without looking into it themselves? 
    £1-3M each (or whatever it is) may be small beer in their net worth but they will have advisors going through their presented investment opportunities and picking holes or they would not stay wealthy for very long! 
    The 3 main guys at least are global Investors who will have countless opportunities presented to them all the time.  
    I don't know what the answer is and maybe you are right and they are just all rich mugs... but I just reckon they paid next to nowt for us (not the fabled and never proven £12M) and then it starts to make a bit of sense as a low risk punt.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    Rothko said:

Not counting Charlieboy, I think there are 6 investors.  Do we really think that 6 super wealthy investors have all taken a punt on Charlie's numbers without looking into it themselves? 
    £1-3M each (or whatever it is) may be small beer in their net worth but they will have advisors going through their presented investment opportunities and picking holes or they would not stay wealthy for very long! 
    The 3 main guys at least are global Investors who will have countless opportunities presented to them all the time.  
    I don't know what the answer is and maybe you are right and they are just all rich mugs... but I just reckon they paid next to nowt for us (not the fabled and never proven £12M) and then it starts to make a bit of sense as a low risk punt.
    I'm a film distributor - and it's very similar to football.   There are many, many, many billionaires and multi millionaires who invest a few hundred thousand - few million into an independent film based on a presentation that the film they are investing into could be the next Blairwitch Project, Paranormal Activity, Lock Stock etc

It happens.

It really does.    They are THAT wealthy, it is "risk money" and it's for the hope of it winning an Oscar/breaking out/getting into the Premier League.   Delete as applicable.
  • Options
    Six super wealthy investors is it?
    Are they forming a circle and saying to each other ‘after you’, ‘no, after you’?
  • Options
    The big question is if either of them sign.   If they do, that will be a real coup for them, unless they get sold at the end of the season along with Leaburn etc to balance the books...