Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Methven: Global Football Partners have no plans to ‘flip’ Charlton Athletic

Comments

• Options
    This 12million. Has it actually been paid to Thomas. Can anyone point me in the direction of proof please? I can't even remember if it's actually been mentioned since the new year shenanigans.
    Not sure TS would be sitting quietly if he didn’t have the money 
  • Options
    This 12million. Has it actually been paid to Thomas. Can anyone point me in the direction of proof please? I can't even remember if it's actually been mentioned since the new year shenanigans.
    Not sure that consitutes proof of payment but you may well be right. I'm just frustrated with the lack of transparancy with our owners past and present. 
  • Options
    Not sure that consitutes proof of payment but you may well be right. I'm just frustrated with the lack of transparancy with our owners past and present. 
    Transparency of the owners by posting a copy of their bank statements on line and TS emailing every fan to tell them he's been paid wouldn't have stopped us being outplayed by Crawley tonight would it.  
    Exactly.

I'm not that arsed with transparency.

Be opaque, whatever.  Just be less shit.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Sandgaard was desperate to be shot of us. Of course there was all the talk of 10mill, 12 mill etc but as a few people have previously asked is there any proof that "our billionaires" paid anything & if they did how much ? Maybe they have just taken over the running costs (no small amount of course) & sandgaard was just happy to get rid or just took a minimal sum. I guess all will be revealed in the next set of accounts.
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    "Having no plans to flip the club" is a totally meaningless statement. It's a line from the Tory Book of PR. 

With a fast shrinking operational pot and a start that has seen our actual home gates halve since the opening day, Methven will be feeling the heat. He has one last throw of the dice around a new manager but even if that is deemed a 'relative' success, we look likely to remain in League One this season - the squad isn't near strong enough to survive the challenges of a full season and win promotion. That is going to force Methven to take action and I strongly suspect that will be to cut costs now that the chance to sell players has gone for now. 

If he can't turn this around sufficiently, either one or more of the investors coughs up another chunk of money or he may be forced to flip the club, in which case I refer to my first sentence. We have to keep reminding ourselves that GFP's interest in Charlton is 100% financial and nothing else. 
    Who on earth would give them their £12M back?
    Well c £4m would be lost operating costs, so not £12m. If they sold Leaburn for £5m, they would be looking to sell the club for far less that £12m. Didn't seem short of buyers at the £8m-£12m mark, although I would agree that the club is worth less.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    I find it very disconcerting that with the club in this abysmal state we have heard nothing from the SMT or Owners, all we get are non attributable comments from fans who apparently have contacts with the SMT or CM.
    What are CAST and/or the fans reps doing about this as this no communication is just not good enough
    They'll come out with a load of rubbish anyway, and we'll get even more annoyed.
    PS, not referring to CAST here.
  • Options
    I find it very disconcerting that with the club in this abysmal state we have heard nothing from the SMT or Owners, all we get are non attributable comments from fans who apparently have contacts with the SMT or CM.
    What are CAST and/or the fans reps doing about this as this no communication is just not good enough
    the owners think they have bought into Charleston Athletic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
     So just what is the play here with these owners?
    Clearly not an ambitious one. Are they hoping to get lucky like Bowyer sort of did?
    Or is something more sinister going on?
  • Options
    Clearly not an ambitious one. Are they hoping to get lucky like Bowyer sort of did?
    Suspct so.

Seem to be hoping to fluke a few cheap signings working out so we get promoted to then sell the club at a profit, whilst making a profit on academy players. 
  • Options
    I think we can predict the neutral answers:

1. What was the exact process by which Dean Holden left the club? Who initiated his departure?

It was a mutual decision amongst the SMT but comes under Scott remit mainly. We wanted to shake it up in time for the rest of the season.

2. What criteria will you / did you use to select the new Men's first team manager?

Can work with young players and bring them through and 'know' L1

3. How do you think you are doing so far compared with your plan and expectations?

A lot is going on behind the scenes to improve the infrastructure of the club whilst we acknowledge the results are not where we wanted them to be . its still early days and this is a long term project (relative to investing money elsewhere!)

4. How do you think the new ownership is going down with the fans?

we know we have a lot to do in order to engage with the fan base and we hope to do more - starting with the teams results

5. What is the full breakdown of percentage ownership of those owning over 5%?

We will see what more we can share but some individuals prefer to keep their investments private / confidential for any number of reasons as is their right

6. Would the club be prepared to issue player injury updates more frequently?

Yes. We will take that away and address it.

Not a dig more a prediction of guarded answers and little news.
    Scarily accurate
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Charlie thinking he can do it better than everyone else. Just like Roland. Just like Sandgaard..

I think a large chunk of the owners cash is going straight into the pockets of  Methven, Rodwell and Scott.
    I was going to say the same thing, at least the Appleton appointment confirms where we stand with this ownership now.

I wonder how long it will take for the ownership structure to start falling apart when they realise they can't do this on the cheap. I give it until March/April time.
  • Options
    I see the plan as being similar to most other clubs that don't have big money to splash on transfer fees.

You look to acquire players that you can sell for a profit, or at no loss as a worst case scenario.

This will lead you to probably looking at younger players and you will be heavily relying on out of contract players and loans. Their wages will likely be lower than older players as well.

Additionally, you will be looking to introduce Academy players into the first team squad at the earliest possible opportunity, who will also be on lower wages and you may be able to sell in due course.

You are unlikely to be able to recruit the desired players in one transfer window, which is why they are stating 3 windows will be required.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know they are only volunteers, but I do wish the trust would stop pussy footing around these sham owners. They've got to stop asking questions that make worms like Methven easier to answer. I've rejigged them.

1. What was the exact process by which Dean Holden left the club? Who initiated his departure?                                                  Dean Holden was chosen by members of this board back in December. Why have you chosen to get rid of him and take a sideways step in appointing Appleton?              
    2. What criteria will you / did you use to select the new Men's first team manager?      Could you confirm that you chose from a very small net of cheap and out of work managers and that you were rebuffed by Chris Powell because your plan for the club did not satisfy him that it would be successful?
    3. How do you think you are doing so far compared with your plan and expectations?                                             What are your plans and expectations and would you agree that the actions you have taken so far, including when you had influence back in December have been far removed from a club looking to achieve success in this division?
    4. How do you think the new ownership is going down with the fans?                         The fans are confused by the influence of the bigger players in this consortium. How much financial support are they willing to invest in the club other than the day to day running? Could you confirm that they have very little interest in the club and have put the likes of Methven and Rodwell in place to run the whole thing from top to bottom?
    6. Would the club be prepared to issue player injury updates more frequently.               What is the club doing to address the consistently bad injury crisis that seems to crop up every season. Have any changes in personnel been made in the fitness and conditioning departments?
    You honestly and seriously think asking questions like that will get a response at all? 

This isn't Frost Vs Nixon FFS
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    sam3110 said:
    I know they are only volunteers, but I do wish the trust would stop pussy footing around these sham owners. They've got to stop asking questions that make worms like Methven easier to answer. I've rejigged them.

1. What was the exact process by which Dean Holden left the club? Who initiated his departure?                                                  Dean Holden was chosen by members of this board back in December. Why have you chosen to get rid of him and take a sideways step in appointing Appleton?              
    2. What criteria will you / did you use to select the new Men's first team manager?      Could you confirm that you chose from a very small net of cheap and out of work managers and that you were rebuffed by Chris Powell because your plan for the club did not satisfy him that it would be successful?
    3. How do you think you are doing so far compared with your plan and expectations?                                             What are your plans and expectations and would you agree that the actions you have taken so far, including when you had influence back in December have been far removed from a club looking to achieve success in this division?
    4. How do you think the new ownership is going down with the fans?                         The fans are confused by the influence of the bigger players in this consortium. How much financial support are they willing to invest in the club other than the day to day running? Could you confirm that they have very little interest in the club and have put the likes of Methven and Rodwell in place to run the whole thing from top to bottom?
    6. Would the club be prepared to issue player injury updates more frequently.               What is the club doing to address the consistently bad injury crisis that seems to crop up every season. Have any changes in personnel been made in the fitness and conditioning departments?
    You honestly and seriously think asking questions like that will get a response at all? 

This isn't Frost Vs Nixon FFS
     Well at least if they didn't respond it would tell us something.
     Giving them Dollies that they can easily bat away isn't doing us any favours.im sick to the back teeth of having our tummies tickled
  • Options
    Only one question - do you think the charlton fans are idiots ? 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    I see the plan as being similar to most other clubs that don't have big money to splash on transfer fees.

You look to acquire players that you can sell for a profit, or at no loss as a worst case scenario.

This will lead you to probably looking at younger players and you will be heavily relying on out of contract players and loans. Their wages will likely be lower than older players as well.

Additionally, you will be looking to introduce Academy players into the first team squad at the earliest possible opportunity, who will also be on lower wages and you may be able to sell in due course.

You are unlikely to be able to recruit the desired players in one transfer window, which is why they are stating 3 windows will be required.
    The peterborough model 

except they paid big money for forward players 
  • Options
    Flip? - there is nothing to flip
  • Options
    Its very concerning at the lack of information coming through from the Owners/Shareholders and the Forum is right to ask the important questions but I sense like many that there will be a series of very evasive, side stepping answers.

If its any comfort (probably not) we're not alone though in this respect as I know through my friend that his team Leeds United have not heard a peep from their majority shareholder the San Francisco 49's leading up to transfer deadline day and they're really struggling with injuries, players leaving on a whim because their contracts allowed them to leave if they got relegated and have had no real investment either. 

Its not a good time to be a fan and probably the worst I've seen it for many years

• Options
    Its very concerning at the lack of information coming through from the Owners/Shareholders and the Forum is right to ask the important questions but I sense like many that there will be a series of very evasive, side stepping answers.

If its any comfort (probably not) we're not alone though in this respect as I know through my friend that his team Leeds United have not heard a peep from their majority shareholder the San Francisco 49's leading up to transfer deadline day and they're really struggling with injuries, players leaving on a whim because their contracts allowed them to leave if they got relegated and have had no real investment either. 

Its not a good time to be a fan and probably the worst I've seen it for many years

To be honest I don’t think that they care unless their investment doesn’t deliver. If you think of it as a loan to cheerful charlie and his pals , the only time you will hear from them is if it all goes belly up or if we get promotion. 
  • Options
    Suspct so.

Seem to be hoping to fluke a few cheap signings working out so we get promoted to then sell the club at a profit, whilst making a profit on academy players. 
    How do you make a profit on academy players when the club makes a massive lose every year?