Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lack of confidence and excitement ahead of the season ?

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
At the end of last season, despite relegation there was a tremendous atmosphere, and contentment amongst the faithful.

A large proportion were excited about the prospects of a season in The Championship. As its got nearer, it appears to me a lot of this feel good factor has drained away a little. The season is now upon us and it doesn't appear at least that many people are chomping at the bit....

Have i read the mood wrong ?

If i haven't, what's brought about the change ? Disappointed with the signings, disappointed so many have left ? Slow- burning realisation we are now very much 2nd tier ?

Would be interested to read people's views.

Comments

• Options
    Can't wait for the season to start. But perhaps I am thinking of the drinking too much .....................
  • Options
    I'm still as enthusiastic and optimistic as ever. I would go as far to say that i am looking forward to this season more than any of the past 5/6 seasons to be honest.

Maybe my expectations are not as high as certain people (i.e. in terms of signings etc) but i still believe we will be competitive and be up there challenging for the championship. The other teams in the league are not better than us in terms of players and/or depth of squad so we should be confident.

APRAWA
  • Options
    I'm nervous - same as every season, but more so considering how much the squad has changed and the fact i only know what I can expect from about 5 players. The rest of them is a "wait and see" scenario - and I'm an impatient bugger!
  • Options
    Nah, still the same as i was on the night of the spurs game. So long as we dont go out of business, i dont care what league we are in. I am looking forward to some good games, i am looking forward to some not so good games, so what, when i first started watching charlton proper we were (actually we were 1st division!) but soon after we was second tier for ever! I have enjoyed punching above our weight, but nowits time to stop, re-build and try to get there once more, we have the support now, have an ace little (well big) ground, decent coach, great back room staff with old proper charlton faces added to the board that we already love, dont really understand what you are saying afka dude.

Whatever division i will be there and passionate.
  • Options
    I'm worried we haven't made enough signings with potential, it could also be argued we haven't made enough signings just to get us up, what we do have is the basis for a team for the future, but not enough of the latter in my opinion - hence the lack of excitement, I just don't think we justify the favourites title, top six yes.

I was sitting in the car the other day listening to the radio talking about your fulhams, blackburns, and other prem tosh, and suddenly it hit me, we are a whole division below them and couldn't compete against them in the transfer market, etc..
  • Options
    I don't know what to make of the team to be honest as I haven't made it to any of the pre-season friendlies at all. But that's half the reason I'm so excited - I love seeing new players and assessing them for myself.

I'm looking forward to this season more than I have any since about our second in the last stint in the Prem.
  • Options
    I'm very excited about the new season and regardless of what division we are in I am just as passionate as any other time - if not more when we are in the lower league.

Signings - well we all knew that we wouldn't attract the so called big names - but I think Pards has done relatively well with the signings so far - but hey only time will tell. But I trust Pards! :o)

And if last years press coverage was bad - jeez this years is totally non existent. Sky must be over the moon that we got relegated as they now don't "have" to mention us.

Mx
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MariaCAFC[/cite]And if last years press coverage was bad - jeez this years is totally non existent. Sky must be over the moon that we got relegated as they now don't "have" to mention us.

Mx

lol, too true
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    We are going up I have no doubts (well at least until saturday at 5) ;-)
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I am very apprehensive about the potential consequences of this relegation because my first 20 years or so supporting the Club comprised of a gradual decline with any decent players being sold and culminating in nearly going out of business and then exile.

Most if not all of us on Charlton Life will (and have) continue to go regardless of the level the Club is playing at. I'm not sure we represent the whole support though. This season the support will hold up partly because of the free season ticket offer. However if we miss out I think the core support could almost halve overnight. If that happens there will be immense financial pressures and we live in a more hardheaded, ruthless business world than we did back in 1984.

It is not beyond the realms in the not too distant future that The Valley could be sold off for development given the desire of the government to concrete over the whole of the South East. It would be a prime brownfield site.

I realise that this post makes OOH AH Mortimer sound like Bonnie Langford or some other insufferably cheery person, but I genuinely fear the worst could happen if we don't get back to the Premiership in the next year or two.

The only thing that MIGHT save us is something that we didn't have in the eighties to any great extent namely the community work. Would the government or Greenwich Council want to be held accountable for destroying that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it'll be an exciting season, I don't think we're gonna walk away with the league or anything in fact I think we may have a rocky start with all the new signings, but we've got some good players better than most in the league, get the spirit right and we'll be there or thereabouts. I think our quality is better than Derby or Sunderlands of last year and they had good seasons.
  • Options
    Excited yes, optimistic no.
  • Options
    blimey Len...

...going to put some Dido on the radio now.
  • Options
    I think we're in for one hell of a roller coaster ride with a team and a manager who want to play open attacking football, and we've got more creative options in the team then anyone else.

Can't wait, we're going to have a lot of fun, and Premier League (can't call it the Premiership anymore) next season
  • Options
    I agree with Maria, if this was the prem we'd have a full run down of our chances on the TV or in the papers every day... it builds excitement. Now we're in the CCC the only place i know i can go and read about our chances for the new season is here, as a group of fans we've never been the most optimistic bunch!

I'm excited but the fact that no one is discussing it, almost means it's crept up on me
  • Options
    I dunno it all reminds me of Dowie last summer, except that much less money has been outlayed, its a complete overhaul of the team (including the main striker) which makes it even more of a gamble, still perhaps that's the excitement...
  • Options
    Think we are in for exciting games, more wins & more goals, more of a feel good factor with the fans off it & the players on it. Whether all this will be enough to get us up I am not so sure, but I know I am gonna enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    couldn't help being underwhelmed on saturday watching my first pre-season game, maybe i'm still in summer season and saturday has come too soon.

i'm sure i'll be back in the mood once i start recognising our players and we're winning games (and the oak is open again).
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I doubt this season will be a 100 point, 12 consecutive wins and unbeaten in 29 games type, easy promotion year.
    So don't expect to start with 18 points from the first 6 games.

But Pards has already said he's going to go for it - and I'm feeling we're going to have some tremendous highs and a few lows - like last time in this league: winning away at Huddersfield when they were top and unbeaten in 10, and losing at home to Swindon after 12 wins on the trot and they were rock bottom and almost gone.

We might just have to put up with second place and a Wembley Cup Final..........

;-)
  • Options
    Im as passionate as the next man about Charlton but I just cannot get into it. Havent bothered with any friendlies.

Saturday is probably coming 2 or 3 weeks early for me. I dont think I will even bother with Stoke.

I think my season starts at Palace.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As Saturday draws nearer I'm feeling more and more sad.

Whatever happens on the pitch, going to the Valley for me will have changed.

Lets just hope the boys do their best to cheer me up.

x
  • Options
    Your season starts at Palace, Sarfender?

We'll have promotion in the bag by then. Locked on. FACT!
  • Options
    I simply can't wait to get going.

Lots of new players to get behind, who I hope will wear our shirt with pride and give it their all (which will be refreshing!). Particularly can't wait to see (a) Moutouakil, Semedo and Varney in the Red and White.

Can't wait to see a fair few teams that I've not seen in the 20+ years I've followed Charlton (Scunthorpe being one of them) and a real sense of looking at that fixture list and truly believing that we have a chance of picking up a point or 3 points in every game on that list, which is great.

I liken the way I am feeling to the way Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool or Spurs fans will be feeling this pre-season. A very good squad for the division we're in, proven quality at this level at the back, in midfield and in attack and now just a question of whether we have the desire, fight, bottle and tactical awareness to get us to the summit.

ALAN PARDEW'S RED & WHITE ARMY!
  • Options
    Good post, Pavo!

You're right, we've got a whole bunch of youngsters itching to put on that red shirt.
    And that includes not so young Eye Well Loo Mo - who's already said he can't believe he's playing for Charlton.

We're the 'Massives' of the CCC. ;-)
  • Options
    looking forward to the social side of things probably more than recent season,
    will miss seeing the likes of ronaldo, rooney etc (anyone who says they won't miss that needs to think which non cafc players they are looking forward to seeing this season).
    positive about pardew as manager.
    undecided about all new signings as haven't seen them yet.
    to be honest i'm a bit worried at the possiblity of the squad not gelling quick enough to mount a challenge.

i'm edging towards the oohaah/len side of the fence.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]i'm edging towards the oohaah/len side of the fence.
    i'm going to put barbed wire, broken glass and anti climb paint on that fence so you lot can't come back when we win the league!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]i'm edging towards the oohaah/len side of the fence.
    i'm going to put barbed wire, broken glass and anti climb paint on that fence so you lot can't come back when we win the league!

sorry wss. it's a gut feeling i have that i hope doesn't materialise.
    go ahead and put your barbed wire up. i would love to be wrong and would gladly dig a tunnel under the fence and come crawling back (with free season ticket).
  • Options
    I'm definetly more excited about this season than I have been for years. Bored of not really expecting to win any games, thinking a point was a good result. The prospect of watching charlton actually give a team a good spanking (and its bound to happen at some point) is something I've missed.

Not neccesarily optimistic but I am quite excited by some of the signings and I dont think we realise how good some of our average premiership players and going to suddenly appear at this level. You watch Bent, Reid and Ambrose run this league... well maybe ambrose and reid anyway!
  • Options
    I love this time of year. The bullshit speculation about what's going to happen. The planing for the away trips. Anticipating winning loads of games.

Can't wait for Saturday!
  • Options
    Mixed feelings. Disappointed that the main weakness of the team in the last few years, hasn't been dealt with i.e. Centre Midfield. However exited by the new signings in other areas of the team.